News:

Look at the world emptily, and it will gladly return the favor.

Main Menu

Kindle owners: SYMPATHISE WITH ME!

Started by Cain, May 09, 2012, 01:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 10, 2012, 06:29:41 PM
Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on May 10, 2012, 05:05:54 PM
Not even Doom Patrol?

Nope.  The closest I come is Planetary by Warren Ellis, and only because of the bronze age of pulp feel to it.

That's pretty damn close considering they had homage to the avengers, fantastic four and justice league in that comic. There's a lot wrong with superhero comics, with comics in general. But I'd never write off a genre, I only follow writers not story types.

When someone complains about something people do tend to start listing titles of the good stuff which is an annoying response but I'll do it anyway: My recommendation for a top of the market Superhero comic that breaks the mold and has a grim Thachers Britain feel is Alan moores Miracle Man.

I know two years or so ago I suggested trans met to you and planetary and got a similar response, so I'll turn you yet.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on May 10, 2012, 07:00:55 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 10, 2012, 06:29:41 PM
Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on May 10, 2012, 05:05:54 PM
Not even Doom Patrol?

Nope.  The closest I come is Planetary by Warren Ellis, and only because of the bronze age of pulp feel to it.

That's pretty damn close considering they had homage to the avengers, fantastic four and justice league in that comic. There's a lot wrong with superhero comics, with comics in general. But I'd never write off a genre, I only follow writers not story types.

When someone complains about something people do tend to start listing titles of the good stuff which is an annoying response but I'll do it anyway: My recommendation for a top of the market Superhero comic that breaks the mold and has a grim Thachers Britain feel is Alan moores Miracle Man.

I know two years or so ago I suggested trans met to you and planetary and got a similar response, so I'll turn you yet.

My problem with most superhero stories is that they follow the soap opera format...The story must continue, so things that should be life-changing events sort of blur into minor blips.

The Watchmen was a counter-example...It had a beginning, a middle, and an end.  Planetary is the same way.  Superman?  After 70 years or so, what can they do with the character?  Nothing. 
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Um, that wasn't me.  I've been a transmet freak since 2007.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 11, 2012, 02:04:19 PM

I thought it was EOT.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Faust

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 11, 2012, 02:04:19 PM

It may well have been 2007, my years are all rolling into one. It was definitely you and definitely planetary I suggested.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Triple Zero

I was wondering about that too :)

2007 eh ... goddamn I've been here for over 6 years :eek: (thought it was late 2005 actually but it turns out to be Jan 2006)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 11, 2012, 02:03:31 PM
My problem with most superhero stories is that they follow the soap opera format...The story must continue, so things that should be life-changing events sort of blur into minor blips.

The Watchmen was a counter-example...It had a beginning, a middle, and an end.  Planetary is the same way.  Superman?  After 70 years or so, what can they do with the character?  Nothing.

Yeah, I definitely get that one. When I do go for supers, it's usually only for one author's run on a thing, or only a couple trades. Like, I would never say I'm a fan of Animal Man, but Grant Morrison's run on it was fucking amazing. And then it was over, and I never read any Animal Man again.