News:

if the thee off of you are revel in the fact you ds a discordant suck it's dick and praise it's agenda? guess what bit-chit's not. hat I in fact . do you really think it'd theshare about shit, hen you should indeed tare-take if the frontage that you're into. do you really think it's the hardcore shite of the left thy t? you're little f/cking girls parackind abbot in tituts. FUCK YOU. you're latecomers, and you 're folks who don't f/cking get it. plez challenge me.

Main Menu

Why my computer is magickal

Started by NewSpag, May 31, 2012, 06:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

minuspace

[quote author=Bebek Sincap Ratatosk link=topic=32540.msg1178682#msg1178682

... he and a couple other college students sold these boxes to other college students so they could make free calls home... using money and skills from that adventure the two other students went on to build a PC in their garage, then hired John to do some work for them. Their names were Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak (the second Discordian I ever met).

:lulz:
[/quote]

Which is why I just wrote my red box in BASIC, and distributed it freely  :lulz:

Triple Zero

Got a citation on Woz identifying as a Discordian?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Triple Zero on June 06, 2012, 10:53:19 AM
Got a citation on Woz identifying as a Discordian?

Linux Expo 1999 in San Jose CA. I was riding in his HumVee with Emmett Plant (we were running the 'System Toolbox' website at the time as well as working on a now-defunct open source game called 'Time City'). They were chatting about it in the front seat and I thought it was a stupid joke. Same event, the day before and John Draper was sitting in our booth blathering about Eris and how he wanted to run a voice over IP project based out of India because the developers were so much cheaper. I assumed he had way too much LSD in his life and ignored most of it.

For perspective, one of the guys from the original Homebrew Computer Club gave Emmett and I some weed and I was so freaked out I made him toss it down a storm drain. I was not at all Discordian back then.  :lulz:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Placid Dingo

I had a hunt to verify as well. No luck, but there is what seems to be a story of Steve Jobs using the Turkey Curse.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

For the record, it's completely plausible, as a ton of the old-school computer geeks in the Bay area were Discordian back then. Pigdog Cabal was still going strong, and I think all of those guys were programmers, and there were a ton of other cabals at the time. You could buy a copy of the PD off the shelf at most bookstores.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Why else do you think you could reset old PCs to the Discordian calendar back in the day? 

Epimetheus

I ate a burrito at Chipotle the other day.
Written on the bag was, "Recycling turns things into other things...Like magic!"
Same logic in the OP.
If you want to call that magic, that's cool with me, but that doesn't make it miraculous (a break in how the universe works).

Sure, though, if it helps you get all giggly, then the universe is completely magical.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Anna Mae Bollocks

Magic: not knowing WTF just happened.  :lol:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on June 06, 2012, 03:46:49 PM
For the record, it's completely plausible, as a ton of the old-school computer geeks in the Bay area were Discordian back then. Pigdog Cabal was still going strong, and I think all of those guys were programmers, and there were a ton of other cabals at the time. You could buy a copy of the PD off the shelf at most bookstores.

Also, I think these guys took the idea a lot less defining than many Discordians seem to today. From the conversations at Linux Expo, I kinda assumed that 'Discordian' was a joke used by atheists that thought saying atheist was boring... same for the first few SubG's I met.

I had no idea anyone even thought it was a philosophy until I read RAW and some other stuff about two years later.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Epimetheus on June 06, 2012, 08:12:39 PM
I ate a burrito at Chipotle the other day.
Written on the bag was, "Recycling turns things into other things...Like magic!"
Same logic in the OP.
If you want to call that magic, that's cool with me, but that doesn't make it miraculous (a break in how the universe works).

Sure, though, if it helps you get all giggly, then the universe is completely magical.

Right, its not about breaking the laws of physics. The origin of the term hacker (at least according to hacker lore) meant a person that could make furniture using a chainsaw. They understood the tools and materials so well, they could use it to do something that seemed absurd/unlikely/impossible.

Hacking, the old geek usage, was about knowing a thing so well you could make it break the perceived laws of the system. Even the modern usage (when not applied to script kiddies) references someone that knows programming/systems/people/protocols well enough to trick them into doing something that 'shouldn't happen' (like a web form that asks for your name and address, being tricked into giving you all the passwords on the site).

In modern 'magic' guys like Hine, Carroll, Farber etc.talk about magic as 'hacking your brain'. There's an interesting book called 'Mind Hacks' which dumps all the magical terms and describes many 'magic' practices in a scientific way. When you think about it, stage magic is a very good example of hacking the perceptions of the audience.

:lulz: