News:

Several times a month, I will be in a store aisle reaching for something and feel a hand going up the inside of my thigh. When I turn around to find myself alone with a woman, and ask her if she would prefer me to hold still so she can get a better feel for the situation, oftentimes she will act "shocked" claiming nothing had happened, it must be somebody else...

Main Menu

Chaos Magic

Started by Slarti, November 16, 2003, 01:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

riff

Quote from: The CommanderI¬•m suprised the Karma Manager hasn¬•t posted on here.  Chaos magik is right up his alley.  In fact, if the DIA had anything resembling an official chaos magician, then he would be it.

I haven't been reading the boards -- too much schoolwork.  But I got a couple hours to kill before class right now.

But yeah, I've played with it a bit.  Enough to see that it's not all headology and new-agey bullshit -- there's definately something real there, that someone who was willing to put a lot of time and effort into it could really take advantage of.  

I'm not that guy.  

I did turn myself invisible once, though.

The Phil Hine book is good... can't find my copy, but he was on the e-mail discussion list I chatted on back in the day, and he knows his stuff.

Also Liber Null & Psychonaut by Peter Carroll (anything by Pete Carroll, really) and Visual Magick by Jan Fries.  

To put the whole deal in a nutshell: You don't believe in magic.  Even if you think you do, you don't.  You're conditioned by society and everyday life not to.  When you try to do magic, your subconscious mind fucks it up, because it "knows" that such things are "impossible".  (Parenthetical Aside: This is why all the cloaks and incense and Magick Runic Blades and incantations and whatnot, because the props make it seem a little more real.  The people who are really good don't need them.)  

So, Chaos Magick is twofold: firstly, doing spells in such a way that your unconscious mind can't fuck them up, generally with 'fire-and-forget' sigils. And secondly: training yourself to be able to believe, really believe, in whatever it is necessary for you to believe at any given time, and to be able to change those beliefs as needed.  This is the bit that, if done badly, will make you insane, particularly if done in conjunction with the heavy usage of psychotropic drugs.

Try wandering around http://www.chaosmatrix.org/ for a while.  Lots of info there, and the manager, Fenwick, is another guy from the old list that knows his stuff.

The old slogan is "fake it 'till you make it", which really means "fake it 'till you think you can make it, then keep faking it 'till you really can make it, which will take much much longer."  Practice makes perfect, and laughter helps keep you sane.
Here's where I've been, and where I probably am: http://www.kingdomofloathing.com.

EvilPoet

"Chaos contains within itself the four elements of all that is, viz., fire, air, water, and earth, by the mixture and motion of which the forms of all earthly things are impressed upon their subjects. These elements have four qualities: heat, coldness, humidity, dryness. The first inheres in fire, the second in water, the third in air, the fourth in earth. By means of these qualities, the elements act upon each other, and motion takes place. " -Edward Kelly's The Stone of the Philosophers

Slarti

i'm trying to get Liver Null & Psychonaut as well as Condensed  Chaos, but i'm gonna have to order them -> none of the books stores in my area have them in stock.

The Commander

Can you replace the incence and candels and stuff with forms?  I think it would be hilarious to fill out a Chaos Magik acquistion form everytime you performed a spell.

The Commander
DIA
The Commander
DIA
Discordian Intelligence Agency

riff

Don't see why not, if you can believe in the form hard enough. :)
Here's where I've been, and where I probably am: http://www.kingdomofloathing.com.

Bella

Quote from: The CommanderCan you replace the incence and candels and stuff with forms?  I think it would be hilarious to fill out a Chaos Magik acquistion form everytime you performed a spell.

The Commander
DIA

Riff is correct: You can replace anything with anything else as long as you believe it's going to work.  The candles and incense are just bells and whistles to help focus energy and intent, which in my opinion, is all magick is.

Chaos Magick Acquisition forms coming up.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

SMFabal

I've already started using forms as a form of magic.
SMFabal, High Pope of CoCK, PSP, CW, KSC, FP, GH, MORBJ

Q: How serious are you about this whole "Discordian" thing?
A: A blue fish Tuesday!
Q: No really, it this, like, deeply philosphical, or just a huge joke?
A: Yes.

Guido Finucci

Why not? Greyface has been using forms for years.

Bella

Quote from: SMFabalI've already started using forms as a form of magic.
Do you make your own forms?
Because this idea is really interesting to me. It even sounds right.....'forms as forms of magick'.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

riff

Could be interesting... tick a few checkboxes, scribble a sigil in the indicated box (blood or #2 pencil only please!) and mail it off in triplicate to three people picked at random from the phone book...

Man, you guys make my fingers itch. I don't have time to be getting back into this stuff right now. :?

SMFabal

Hmmm... What do you say to an HTML Magic Form?

By Jove, I'll do it ...

...someday
SMFabal, High Pope of CoCK, PSP, CW, KSC, FP, GH, MORBJ

Q: How serious are you about this whole "Discordian" thing?
A: A blue fish Tuesday!
Q: No really, it this, like, deeply philosphical, or just a huge joke?
A: Yes.

Slarti

I was reading about technomages somewhere on occultforums.com , and it seems interesting- computer programming replacing whatever wiccans do. i'm uneducated towards wiccanism.

actually, it was kind of funny, when i was like 9-12 years old, i wanted a sense of belonging so i was experimenting with different 'religions'.

the first thing i did was be a jedi (that was so funny). my close friend and I started a jedi council and did strict training exercises every day, and tried to meditate and harness the power of the force and stuff.

then, after watching the movie 'scooby doo and the witch's ghost' i decided i wanted to be a wiccan (LOL) so i bought tarot cards and runes and i sat outside trying to write symbols in the dirt to cast spells, and then i finally got the internet and i started looking it up and trying to find spells that didn't require complex setup (i was lazy)... i even had a samhain party with a some trees (i'm serious) in my backyard that i was trying to communicate with well eventually my parents started checking my history, so i was yelled at for looking at occult websites.

and now i'm a closet discordian (only 5 or 6 people at my school know) training in chaos magick. in retrospect, it's interesting that i tried jediism and wicca (even though looking back it's not even remotely close to what wicca is...) at an early age... FNORD

riff

The great/weird/interesting thing about Chaos Magick is, once you get a handle on it, you can go back and use all those 'religions' to actual effect.  Call on your Jedi powers (granted, not as overtly as in the movies).  Scratch your runes in the dirt.  Anything!  In fact, I once performed a minor curse by using a penknife to scratch 'fuck you' in runic on a bit of tree bark, and throwing it at a kid I disliked.  He got an extreme ice cream headache about five minutes later.  

Basically, any concept you can throw together, if you've got the belief and willpower to back it up, it might work.  And if not, hell, try something different.  Want to try a death spell, but Anubis isn't answering your invocations?  Try Neil Gaiman's cute goth-girl version of Death instead -- Anubis wishes he had as many worshippers as she does, these days.  Maybe take George Carlin's advice and pray to Joe Pesci... who knows?

Lord_Caramac

Quote from: RiffThe great/weird/interesting thing about Chaos Magick is, once you get a handle on it, you can go back and use all those 'religions' to actual effect.  Call on your Jedi powers (granted, not as overtly as in the movies).  Scratch your runes in the dirt.  Anything!  In fact, I once performed a minor curse by using a penknife to scratch 'fuck you' in runic on a bit of tree bark, and throwing it at a kid I disliked.  He got an extreme ice cream headache about five minutes later.  

Basically, any concept you can throw together, if you've got the belief and willpower to back it up, it might work.  And if not, hell, try something different.  Want to try a death spell, but Anubis isn't answering your invocations?  Try Neil Gaiman's cute goth-girl version of Death instead -- Anubis wishes he had as many worshippers as she does, these days.  Maybe take George Carlin's advice and pray to Joe Pesci... who knows?

Heh heh... I just LOVE Neil Gaiman!
I'm still wondering what to use for a love spell...
May the Fnord be with you!
-><-
"This schland is your schland, this schland is my schland..."
-><-
Bart: How would I go about creating a half man, half monkey type creature?
Miss Krabapple: I'm sorry, that would be playing God.
Bart: God-shmod, I want my monkey man!
-><-
Lord BlackLight
aka Lord Helmet
aka ElfBoi
aka Lord Caramac the Clueless, NPIAB
Knight of the Big Toe
aka His Arrogance Pope Cereal I., KBB, GHMB, DHB
-><-
St. Yogi Bear Cabal
-><-
Jabber: elfboi@jabber.org (NOT email - check www.jabber.org)

riff

Quote from: Lord_CaramacI'm still wondering what to use for a love spell...

Well, a large amount of chocolate should definately be part of the mix.  Stirs up the endorphins or whatever.  Anything else you associate with love?  Roses?  That fat little bastard with the bow and arrow?

Oi Commander, are there any love spells in the Player's Handbook?  Ya never know...