News:

There are no innocents, only the squeamish and the aroused.

Main Menu

What do the people look like on planet <Your Name>

Started by Cramulus, September 23, 2010, 03:16:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.O.T.

YOU

freaks better copywrite this shit 'cuz some punk is scripting all this RIGHT NOW!!
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Cainad (dec.)

The planet Cainad v2.0 is not a sphere, but a torus. A massive space donut made mostly of Earth-like silicate rocks, it whirls through space independent of any normal star system.

Illumination and heat on the planet is provided by a strange micro-star, a small but powerful and long-lived wad of nuclear fusion that perpetually yo-yos back and forth through the hole in the torus. The inner side of the torus is nearly always illuminated and is the warmest part of the planet, being closest to the micro-star, while the outer edge of the torus is in eternal Arctic winter.

Between these two climactic extremes are two rings of temperate weather on either side of the planet-torus, two completely separate biomes kept apart by the harsh environments between them. With the burnt desert on the inside of the torus and the huge freezing expanse on the outer edge, none of the life forms currently extant on the planet are able to cross into the other temperate 'ring', and they have grown and evolved out of their own primordial ooze completely independently of one another.

Cainad (dec.)

The planet iCainad 3G is a massive metal cube, the surface visibly pitted and scarred. The metal which comprises the bulk of the planet's mass is iron, but veins of other metals are plenty common, and the almost complete lack of oxygen in the (very thin) atmosphere means there is practically no rusting or tarnish. Ages upon ages of windstorms carrying metallic dust have scoured the surface to a polished metallic gleam.

Standing on the surface, you will see lots and lots of holes and rivulets cut into the surface, rather like the surface of bug-eaten wood when the bark has been stripped away, only much larger. You will find yourself being very careful about walking along the surface, since quakes and similar geologic activity are extremely common; whatever forces holds this planet in its cubic shape struggles eternally with the force of gravity trying to mush the corners down into a more sensible spherical shape. Occasionally this activity results in a beautiful but deadly volcanic eruption of molten metal, which plumes into the sky before rapidly cooling in the frigid atmosphere, becoming a shining statue of glittering metal.

If you delve down into the tunnels towards the planet's warm interior, you'll soon find something very strange: vast caverns, from the size of a living room to the size of the Empire State Building, full of metallic cave formations. Stalactites, stalagmites, etc, but the strange part is that every inch of surface in these caves is completely covered in glimmering crystalline scales. They have a distinctly organic look to them, and even show varied patternings of color, but they are entirely inorganic in composition, being mostly made of silicon.

Deeper down, the scales become more varied in color and size, and seem to shift about of their own volition. Occasionally, one will see a whole mass of scales clump itself together into an almost beetle-like shape and pull itself free from the cave wall, whereupon it scuttles off into some small hole where you cannot follow it, and the surrounding scales grow over the empty patch left behind.

If you go any deeper down, you'll know better than me what you'll find. No one ever comes back with stories from further down.

Nephew Twiddleton

I predict that Cainad is going to do to this thread what Alphapance did to Surprise Me Eris thread.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

LMNO

Cainad (dec.)

The planet Daniac appears from space to be a mottled green sphere, about half the size of the planet Earth and perhaps one-sixth as dense. Standing upon the surface it seems to be a shell of frosted glass, mostly smooth but with visible irregularities. There are many cracks in this glassy surface, and if you find one big enough to enter you'll see the reason for the planet's greenish tint: underneath the crust, which is about a foot thick, lies a lush plant ecosystem.

The glassy exterior is a natural greenhouse, propped up by a massive network of vines and branches. The air inside is very warm and always at 100% humidity. Shielded from most harmful radiation by the glass and the atmosphere outside, the trees that act as the main structural columns go down literally for miles, although the greenery layer is only a few hundred feet thick. Deeper than that it is nearly pitch-dark; a cool, moist environment underneath the planet-spanning canopy. The local fauna are mostly insect- and lizard-like creatures, not too dissimilar from what one might find on Earth.

In this dark underlayer lives the second type of ecosystem, the fungal ecosystem. Tunnels big enough for a man to walk through criss-cross through the tough, leathery flesh which fills the gaps between the titanic tree trunks, providing the circulation of air and water for the upper layer and ensuring that some of the heat from the surface makes it down to the cold depths.

It is in these fungal tunnels that you find the ruins. Chunks of plastic-like material and other substances that are indigestible by the fungi or the local bacteria litter the tunnels. Some of these chunks are car-sized, other look suspiciously like the crumpled remains of plastic bottles. Nothing metallic or decomposable is to be found. Whoever it was that lived here, they did so very long ago.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Cainad (dec.)

Thanks for the compliments, guys.  :) It feels nice to be writing little vignettes again. It's what I do best when writing fiction.

Brotep

Subject to constant volcanic eruptions, planet Brotep is unbearably hostile terrain by human standards. Orbiting a magnetar and composed primarily of iron, planet Brotep undergoes periodic surges of electrical activity as a result of the tremendous magnetic flux.

"Life" on planet Brotep has its origins in ferrous crystals, which began to develop into more complex, ambulatory creatures. The dominant life-form is an insectoid lava beetle, which gathers balls of cooling magma to make its nest.

Juana

Planet Hovercat is populated by flying, angry-but-adorable felines, who are known to occasionally perch on visitor's shoulders and then eat their faces. Exceptions are made for catnip carrying visitors.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Jasper

AFK

Planet RWHN is currently littered with spent Kleenex and empty bottles of orange juice do to a rhino virus pandemic. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on September 28, 2010, 07:48:45 PM
Planet RWHN is currently littered with spent Kleenex and empty bottles of orange juice do to a rhino virus pandemic. 

Rhino virus?  Does that make you horny?

AFK

Horny?  Not so much.  Phlegmy and mildly irritable?  Yes. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.