News:

I just don't understand any kind of absolute egalitarianism philosophy. Whether it's branded as anarcho-capitalism or straight anarchism or sockfucking libertarianism, it always misses the same point.

Main Menu

Occupy

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 02, 2011, 03:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Here's a little smackerel of something less than tasty. (about 60 miles north of the doggy heir apparent).

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20111110/UPDATES01/111110004/Old-Town-Fort-Collins-arson-suspect-maintains-innocence?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE

Word on the street is not just guessing at another guy it's pretty damned definitive (at least so far as 4 people, all in the neighborhood at the time, all part of the OFC, all familiar with both the arrested and the alleged, repeating the same story is "definitive"). Not sure if there are conflicts of interest, but the two of the four of them that I know beyond the OFC thing (which the other dude is also loosely associated with), there isn't. Cops aren't buying. Very curious.

At least the news coverage is sufficiently infuriating. LOOK HE'S SMILING, THAT SON OF A BITCH NON-REPENTANT BASTARD IS SMILING!!! One of the TV reports actual said verbatim-ish, "There's a lot we don't know about this case, but what we know for sure is that Gilmore was seen smiling at his initial court appearance. And that would be the only revelation in that story."
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Agent Buttchug on November 13, 2011, 04:26:54 PM
Seems like Occupy Portland won a temporary victory, for now...

I'll post pictures after I get some rest.

Right on!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Watching the live feed, it looks like things may be escalating.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Nigel on November 13, 2011, 09:32:28 PM
Watching the live feed, it looks like things may be escalating.

Yeah, I just got woken up by a call from my friend.

I'm about to head back down.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Before I go, here are two shots of the situation at about 6 or 7am.

It seems the protesters buckled around 8am since too many people left. I left at a 7:45am due to wearing dress shoes that started to cause severe pain in my feet, which I didn't know would happen as I've never worn them and stood on my feet for 8 hours straight.

:sad:

Full size image

Full size image

ETA: I have video of the preceding situation, where the cops asked the crowd that was covering that intersection to clear the road and "go to the sidewalks or into the park". A few minutes later they did.

the last yatto

Quote from: Nigel on November 13, 2011, 04:24:06 PM
Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on November 13, 2011, 04:18:12 PM
Quote from: Brian Fnord on November 13, 2011, 10:11:05 AM
occupy olympia later in the month for special session... also some talkin about fucking with walmart on black friday

Occupy Olympia? :lulz:

what's next, Occupy Cle Elum?

It actually makes a lot more sense than Occupying Seattle, because that's where the Washington legislature convenes. However, I think they convene in February, so that would be the time to do it.

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2011/11/08/a-nov-28-march-to-make-it-a-peoples-special-session-in-olympia

If there's an occupy everett & occupy wenatchee...

Lol http://www.alternet.org/newsandviews/article/668887/wall_street_bank_protests_spread%3B_%22pay_us_back%22_actions_begin_today/
first of 10 direct actions will take place on September 20-21 at Suncadia, a mountain resort near Cle Elum, WA, where The Association of Washington Business (the statewide chamber of commerce) will be holding their annual policy summit. Two hundred low- and middle-income people allied with Washington Community Action Network will demand that banks, corporations and wealthy individuals pay their fair share of taxes
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Here's the video preceding those photographs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3B8idZMIMk

"Good morning..."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Agent Buttchug on November 14, 2011, 12:50:39 PM

"Good morning..."

Good morning.

This was cool.  I hate what the officer was saying near the beginning,

"If you remain in the roadway and show intent to engage in physical resistance to removal, or if emergency circumstances require, you may be subject to the use of force including chemical agents and impact weapons."

What emergency circumstances could possibly require or be made better by hurting innocent civilians?  :evilmad:  The good news is that the crowds did manage to prevent them from having their little pretext.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I'm starting to see this whole thing as a war between different myths.

The 99%/1% myth (which has entirely incorrect numbers -- but a myth operates independently of its literal truth and depends only on the strength of the narrative's draw, which is very strong in this one) started out as an Adbusters thing, which makes sense. It was the core myth around which this franchise TAZ sprung up, though a lot of other small-scale myths of varying degrees of crazy formed satellites around it and rode the movement (at Occupy New Haven, I saw a guy with a sign saying "STOP CHEMTRAILS", presumably unironically).

The major competitor, which I've seen independently in several neocon-types (and which is quite firmly lodged in the core of the recent Frank Miller rant) is that the protesters are not only politically subversive (that's kind of the point of a protest, and you can't blame a protest for being effective) but somehow sapping power from 'more important things' (typically, the myth is of the form wherein the protesters are seen to be universally unemployed but also universally rich, tying into Regan's favourite 'welfare queen' myth, and are leeching off the economy in some unspecified way -- though Miller claims that they are also getting in the way of the Global War on Terror, which he apparently believes is still happening in some meaningful way, and several people pushing this myth in an academic sphere in my general vicinity have blamed the protesters for expanding the higher education bubble by majoring in some subject the speaker considers to be of no practical use).

So, the two myths each portray the initiators of the other as useless leaches on society. It's funny how strongly they mirror each other.

Anyhow, myth matters only in how it shapes action. I could see a weird symbiosis occurring between these two myths, the way the various myths in the american two-party system have this perverted codependency.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: eax on November 14, 2011, 04:25:30 PM
I'm starting to see this whole thing as a war between different myths.

The 99%/1% myth (which has entirely incorrect numbers -- but a myth operates independently of its literal truth and depends only on the strength of the narrative's draw, which is very strong in this one) started out as an Adbusters thing, which makes sense. It was the core myth around which this franchise TAZ sprung up, though a lot of other small-scale myths of varying degrees of crazy formed satellites around it and rode the movement (at Occupy New Haven, I saw a guy with a sign saying "STOP CHEMTRAILS", presumably unironically).

The major competitor, which I've seen independently in several neocon-types (and which is quite firmly lodged in the core of the recent Frank Miller rant) is that the protesters are not only politically subversive (that's kind of the point of a protest, and you can't blame a protest for being effective) but somehow sapping power from 'more important things' (typically, the myth is of the form wherein the protesters are seen to be universally unemployed but also universally rich, tying into Regan's favourite 'welfare queen' myth, and are leeching off the economy in some unspecified way -- though Miller claims that they are also getting in the way of the Global War on Terror, which he apparently believes is still happening in some meaningful way, and several people pushing this myth in an academic sphere in my general vicinity have blamed the protesters for expanding the higher education bubble by majoring in some subject the speaker considers to be of no practical use).

So, the two myths each portray the initiators of the other as useless leaches on society. It's funny how strongly they mirror each other.

Anyhow, myth matters only in how it shapes action. I could see a weird symbiosis occurring between these two myths, the way the various myths in the american two-party system have this perverted codependency.

Frank Miller is a putz.

Just saying.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Triple Zero

I know it's kind of un-maybe-logic to say, but one of these Myths is definitely being Less Wrong than the other.

And really how can there be "welfare queens" in the US if you can't even get a proper healthcare system together?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 14, 2011, 05:08:27 PM
I know it's kind of un-maybe-logic to say, but one of these Myths is definitely being Less Wrong than the other.

And really how can there be "welfare queens" in the US if you can't even get a proper healthcare system together?

Reagan admitted that he made up seeing these "Welfare Queens", but went on to say that he knew they existed.

The general public, of course, ate that shit up, for the obvious reason.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Prince Glittersnatch III

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 14, 2011, 05:08:27 PM

A good way to combat the welfare queen myth is to point out that the unemployment rate for Vets is 22%. Gee our military sure churns out some lazy sacks of shit, too bad there wasnt a lesson on pulling yourself up by your bootstraps in basic training.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

Cain

It is possible, over here, to take vast sums of money from the welfare system.  However, I am 99% convinced it is a case of, when it does happen, of the people involved not doing their jobs properly (everything is means tested...which is retarded, as the means testing frequently costs more than the actual welfare payments), and 99% of the time you hear about it happening, it being bullshit invented by a tabloid.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on November 14, 2011, 01:16:35 PM
Quote from: Agent Buttchug on November 14, 2011, 12:50:39 PM

"Good morning..."

Good morning.

This was cool.  I hate what the officer was saying near the beginning,

"If you remain in the roadway and show intent to engage in physical resistance to removal, or if emergency circumstances require, you may be subject to the use of force including chemical agents and impact weapons."

What emergency circumstances could possibly require or be made better by hurting innocent civilians?  :evilmad:  The good news is that the crowds did manage to prevent them from having their little pretext.

An ambulance or firetruck having to come through would be an emergency that would require getting the civilians out of the road immediately.  Teargas and batons don't strike me as the most efficient way to get the people out of the road, but that's almost undoubtedly what the cops meant. 
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl