News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

Data Points Without Context

Started by kingyak, October 07, 2011, 03:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingyak

So, some guy on my Google Plus feed posted this:

I tried really hard to explain to him that most of those data points are completely meaningless when divorced from context. He no understand, so I attempted to illustrate the point:

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-HST

Don Coyote

Cramulus

:lulz: :lulz: you took the original image on a great detour

It's a funny trick, right? How you can generate an entire narrative in somebody's head just by juxtaposing a quote and a set of statistics.

This is a really powerful marketing tool. For one, a conclusion that you arrive at yourself will be more strongly held than a conclusion you read. And our minds love to fill in blanks (1, 2, .., 4, 5). So they're showing you the first and last step, letting you fill in the journey.

Speaking for my own sense of humor - It would be kind of funny to make an image like this which is harder to construct a narrative from. Show some quotes and statistics that don't even seem like they're related.

like that quote everybody attributes to Bill Gates - "64k of memory aught to be enough for anybody.", then a set of statistics about pharmaceutical prescription rates.