News:

Your political affiliations, your brand loyalties, and your opinions are all quicker, easier, and contain no user-serviceable parts.

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: Tough on bars, tough on the causes of bars

Started by Cain, November 10, 2015, 12:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Cain

So, my testing for recording seems all good.  OBS is definitely the way to go, it records with almost no impact and with half the file size of the other methods, and because it doesn't use a variable framerate or weird encoding system it doesn't spazz out.

So, that means, before I start recording Skyrim gameplay again, I have questions; I will be using the Requiem overhaul, for more interesting gameplay.

Do you want to see survivalism gameplay?  Namely, hypothermia, realistic needs and hunting?  There are mods for this, but I'm waiting for the patches to be updated for the latest version, as the new Frostfall mod has significant performance improvements over the currently patched version.  This will mean the possibility of freezing to death, starving to death etc.

Secondly, what kind of character would you be interested in.  I have a couple of ideas, and I'm pretty open to any of them, as all should be end-game viable.  Basically, your choices are nightblade (stealth and magic), paladin (shiny armor and good magic) or spellblade (fire magic and conjuration and swords). I'll come up with backstories and motivations later.

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on November 19, 2015, 08:28:23 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on November 19, 2015, 06:38:53 PM
Quote from: Cain on November 19, 2015, 06:07:55 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 19, 2015, 05:01:59 AM
Quote from: Cain on November 18, 2015, 04:49:31 PM
Writing a piece on ISIS.  Again.

Will you be linking it here?

Yes, once it's published.  It's currently in editorial hell, being processed.

It's not that bad, you just forget sometimes that sentences aren't 300 words long  :lulz:

Well they should be.

James is also making fun of me for using double spaces at the end of the sentences that do actually end  :sad:

James is a heathen, and has no business monkeying with the written word.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Quote from: LMNO on November 19, 2015, 09:42:41 PM
Which one is cutest?

Fortunately, with Skyrim I have complete control over the appearance of my character.  Well, almost.  Fortunately, Requiem's race edits conflict with almost all the popular "models in bikini armor" mods out there.

That said, I will almost certainly play an Imperial or a Dunmer.

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 19, 2015, 10:02:54 PM
Quote from: Cain on November 19, 2015, 08:28:23 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on November 19, 2015, 06:38:53 PM
Quote from: Cain on November 19, 2015, 06:07:55 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 19, 2015, 05:01:59 AM
Quote from: Cain on November 18, 2015, 04:49:31 PM
Writing a piece on ISIS.  Again.

Will you be linking it here?

Yes, once it's published.  It's currently in editorial hell, being processed.

It's not that bad, you just forget sometimes that sentences aren't 300 words long  :lulz:

Well they should be.

James is also making fun of me for using double spaces at the end of the sentences that do actually end  :sad:

James is a heathen, and has no business monkeying with the written word.

I know, right?  Look, just because double-spacing is probably a conspiracy cooked up by the paper production industry doesn't mean it's a bad idea.  Just the opposite.  Fuck trees anyway, what have they done for us lately?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 19, 2015, 04:02:54 PM
Nigel, who are we kidding?  You'll just kill them, and we shall cheer you on.

Also, why is the board so fucking slow today?  I mean in terms of load times.  It's insane.  60-90 seconds per page, the rest of the internet is fine.

Also also, teh flukes are in rare form.  If you could see what I see...

What does the doctor say about that?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 19, 2015, 10:30:34 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 19, 2015, 04:02:54 PM
Nigel, who are we kidding?  You'll just kill them, and we shall cheer you on.

Also, why is the board so fucking slow today?  I mean in terms of load times.  It's insane.  60-90 seconds per page, the rest of the internet is fine.

Also also, teh flukes are in rare form.  If you could see what I see...

What does the doctor say about that?

"It's going to come and go, but might fade after a few years."

I'm okay with this.  It beats what used to happen.  Now instead of screaming paranoia, I just get moody as fuck.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

There are apparently meds that will blunt the visual stuff to some degree, but they apparently have side effects I am unwilling to deal with, given that this really isn't that bad.

President Television

Quote from: Cain on November 19, 2015, 09:38:35 PM
So, my testing for recording seems all good.  OBS is definitely the way to go, it records with almost no impact and with half the file size of the other methods, and because it doesn't use a variable framerate or weird encoding system it doesn't spazz out.

So, that means, before I start recording Skyrim gameplay again, I have questions; I will be using the Requiem overhaul, for more interesting gameplay.

Do you want to see survivalism gameplay?  Namely, hypothermia, realistic needs and hunting?  There are mods for this, but I'm waiting for the patches to be updated for the latest version, as the new Frostfall mod has significant performance improvements over the currently patched version.  This will mean the possibility of freezing to death, starving to death etc.

Secondly, what kind of character would you be interested in.  I have a couple of ideas, and I'm pretty open to any of them, as all should be end-game viable.  Basically, your choices are nightblade (stealth and magic), paladin (shiny armor and good magic) or spellblade (fire magic and conjuration and swords). I'll come up with backstories and motivations later.

Spellblade looks most fun to watch, though nightblade could also be fun if your mods add interesting Illusion spells. I dunno about the survivalism, though. While I imagine it adds depth to gameplay, it's probably tedious to a passive viewer. Unless you can really fill time with your commentary, I think I'd advise against it.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Cain

Requiem's Illusion spells.  I might also use the Apocalypse Spell Package, though some of them are fairly cheesy (Hidden Cobra followed by Vanish = enemy with 1 HP).

Survivalism...eh, it depends.  I can edit some of that stuff down, and Frostfall, for example, does actually have you do things to mitigate against the cold (collect wood, build fires, pitch tents etc).  Hunterborn makes foraging, skinning and gathering ingredients more in depth without being too tedious (there are neat animations and stuff to go along with the skinning etc).  Eating and sleeping is boring, but it's also fairly easy.  Plus it's that element of danger and survivalism.  Do I take the extra potions, or wood in case of a snowstorm?  Do I kill these bandits and take their fire, or make camp somewhere safer?  Fast travel is disabled by standard in Requiem, so I'll be out in the wild a lot anyway...

President Television

Quote from: Cain on November 20, 2015, 12:13:55 AM
Requiem's Illusion spells.  I might also use the Apocalypse Spell Package, though some of them are fairly cheesy (Hidden Cobra followed by Vanish = enemy with 1 HP).

Survivalism...eh, it depends.  I can edit some of that stuff down, and Frostfall, for example, does actually have you do things to mitigate against the cold (collect wood, build fires, pitch tents etc).  Hunterborn makes foraging, skinning and gathering ingredients more in depth without being too tedious (there are neat animations and stuff to go along with the skinning etc).  Eating and sleeping is boring, but it's also fairly easy.  Plus it's that element of danger and survivalism.  Do I take the extra potions, or wood in case of a snowstorm?  Do I kill these bandits and take their fire, or make camp somewhere safer?  Fast travel is disabled by standard in Requiem, so I'll be out in the wild a lot anyway...

Actually, you know what? I've changed my mind. It sounds fine.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Cain

It is a bit tedious in the early stages, but everything is tedious in early Requiem.  Getting one shot by wolves = tedious.  Gathering ingredients so you can make a healing poultice because you only have 27 hp after a wolf nearly one-shot you = tedious.  Walking everywhere = tedious.

Then somewhere between level 20-40 you turn into a demigod with endless riches.  I mean, my Assassin character still gets frequently oneshot by enemies, but I'm at the stage in the game where, with some preparation, I can take out an entire bandit camp without taking a scratch.  I have about 40k in gold, about another 20k in treasure I haven't sold off yet, and I know how to make more money easily (Requiem adds merchant chests, that hold significant inventory and stock.  Like Farengar had 15000 gold alone.  Master locks, but, well, that's not an issue for someone with 100 in lockpicking).

On the other hand, I'm sufficiently scared of Dwemer Spheres that I will sneak around them, and I doubt I could take on a Centurion.  I'm pretty sure I can't kill a dragon without help, and a dragon priest, master vampire or invisible entity would likely strangle me to death with my own entrails.  I'm also pretty sure giant slaughterfish are well beyond my skill.

Hence why I suggested the above 3 classes.  Nightblade and Spellblade have Destruction (and Conjuration in the case of the latter), which make them endgame, dragon killing viable.  Paladin has Restoration, which makes them Dawnguard viable.  May not be quite so good against dragons, but, eh, high enough restoration should make them tanky enough that, in combination with a crossbow they can whittle a dragon down.  Throw in Dawnbreaker or something and once a dragon is on the ground, they might be able to kill it.

Trivial

Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Trivial

A former co-worker just added me to some sort of theology group of other former co-workers who seem terrified of the muslims.

He said it needed balance.

I'm a counterweight?
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.