News:

PD.com: The culmination of the 'Ted Stevens Plan'

Main Menu

Would there be a robot rebellion inside a robot rebellion?

Started by Chelagoras The Boulder, January 11, 2015, 11:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Junkenstein on February 03, 2015, 11:12:26 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 01, 2015, 01:26:47 AM
Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on January 31, 2015, 11:15:06 PM
yea, especially since our eyes are actually really shitty cameras. If you could hook up the raw sensations recieved by your eyeball and display them on a screen without the brains input they would look like shit. The brain actually does a lot to correct our perception of visual stimuli

Yeah, our visual experience is something like 90% hallucination to boost the low-fidelity input to high-fidelity perception, which is really amazing, considering.

Woah, wait, what?

Thread/ links / expansion in general please, this intrigues the fuck out of me. And explains quite a bit about quite a lot.

OK, this is proving harder than I thought, I will need to talk to my neuroscience professor for references. The eye captures a great deal of data but it is whittled down in the brain and then reconstructed in our conscious experience, is the gist of what I captured.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 04, 2015, 04:11:22 AM
Also, hey guys, I got a new computer!

I hear if you feed them some of your blood code they get huge, hungry, and start to sing.

Computers are freaking amazing!

On another note...
I think I vaguely recall one of the instructors at the rather esoteric martial school I've studied at here mentioned something along these lines about vision and how the mind processes the fairly weak signal from the eye into something much sharper. This was in context to deceiving the mind and not the eye per se in combat. I could swing by this week or next and see what more might be found out.
I kinda need a couple answers myself now.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

LMNO

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 04, 2015, 04:11:22 AM
Also, hey guys, I got a new computer!

:potd:

Also, there's a sort-of experiement that points to the eye/brain thing.  It's the one where something far away is out of focus and unknown, and as you approach it, you still can't recognize what it is as it grows more clear and then, ZAP, you recognize it and instantly all the details appear and sharpen.  The recognition isn't gradual, it's immediate.

No citation.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

There's that... and when you see something, I mean totally absolutely see it, and then all of a sudden it moves a certain way and all of a sudden you see a completely different thing. It's part of top-down processing.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'll find papers for this stuff. Not today, because I'm at school until ten tonight, but sooon.

The Wizard Joseph

Come to think of it I've experienced this as on occasion I'll misidentify something out of the corner of my eye because of expectation or just plain manic inattentive moments and when I do focus my conscious mind fully on the object it's not what my mind registered and 'saw'.

In testing I have well above average sight. I'm really sure the above is some sort of mental slip, but now I wonder how much of those good vision scores is my actual eyes and how much is my processor. My processor also is unusual in testing.

I had a private intelligence test done around the age of 18ish administered by a genuine psychiatrist that measured 4 types of intelligence. Composite score was 155 but with a skew in the data. My practical mechanical int was normal/bright at 115 range but my linguistic comp, pattern rec, and symbol interpretation score hit 190. That's 6 standard dev from the mean and as high as the test he used goes apparently.

What I wonder is how much of my 20-15 vision is my actual eyes ans how much my brain drawing accurate interpretation from thin data... my freakish, though still quite imperfect,  intuitive comprehension.

You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 04, 2015, 04:16:57 PM
Come to think of it I've experienced this as on occasion I'll misidentify something out of the corner of my eye because of expectation or just plain manic inattentive moments and when I do focus my conscious mind fully on the object it's not what my mind registered and 'saw'.

In testing I have well above average sight. I'm really sure the above is some sort of mental slip, but now I wonder how much of those good vision scores is my actual eyes and how much is my processor. My processor also is unusual in testing.

I had a private intelligence test done around the age of 18ish administered by a genuine psychiatrist that measured 4 types of intelligence. Composite score was 155 but with a skew in the data. My practical mechanical int was normal/bright at 115 range but my linguistic comp, pattern rec, and symbol interpretation score hit 190. That's 6 standard dev from the mean and as high as the test he used goes apparently.

What I wonder is how much of my 20-15 vision is my actual eyes ans how much my brain drawing accurate interpretation from thin data... my freakish, though still quite imperfect,  intuitive comprehension.

Vision tests are tests of the eyes' ability to focus correctly, and to a smaller measure of the density of cones in the fovea.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This one is dense but interesting: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0896627307003765

OH HERE WE GO, Richard Gregory is DA MAN: http://www.richardgregory.org/papers/brainy_mind/brainy-mind.htm

If this gets you geeking out, go to his homepage to read more of his papers.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 04, 2015, 11:16:07 PM

Vision tests are tests of the eyes' ability to focus correctly, and to a smaller measure of the density of cones in the fovea.

Hm. So mayhap it's more like I  do have fine function in my peepers and the brain oddity is a separate issue of consciousness.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 05, 2015, 12:24:26 AM

Hm. So mayhap it's more like I  do have fine function in my peepers and the brain oddity is a separate issue of consciousness.

What brain oddity?

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 05, 2015, 07:02:05 AM

What brain oddity?

The one I presume (and it only a lightly held presumption) accounts for my bipolar disorder and schism of competency. I have other little cognitive tics sometimes, particularly when occupied with several things at once and also trying to make words, that is to say speaking, texting, or writing mentally. 

I've come to think of it as having a leaky brain pan. Doesn't impair my normal daily function but not really helping.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Faust

Quote from: rong on February 01, 2015, 03:22:50 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on January 31, 2015, 09:36:04 PM
Quote from: rong on January 31, 2015, 09:30:10 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 30, 2015, 04:00:03 PM
The brain is nothing but a computer in  the same way a moose is nothing but a little red wagon.

brain is to computer as eye is to camera

Rong answer.
You know I'm rite
Computers store and process information using binary states of transistors acting as switches,
brains store information in connections through neurons that have both chemical states an electrical states, way more complex then a binary system. The two are not analogous.

They are both machines, and that is analogous. But brain/computer is erroneous compared to eye/camera comparison.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 05, 2015, 08:57:09 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 05, 2015, 07:02:05 AM

What brain oddity?

The one I presume (and it only a lightly held presumption) accounts for my bipolar disorder and schism of competency. I have other little cognitive tics sometimes, particularly when occupied with several things at once and also trying to make words, that is to say speaking, texting, or writing mentally. 

I've come to think of it as having a leaky brain pan. Doesn't impair my normal daily function but not really helping.

I could find out the current state of the research on the neurobiology of bipolar disorder, if you're interested. I'm sure it'll come in handy for a paper eventually anyway.

Junkenstein

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.