News:

If you can't abuse it, it's not power.

Main Menu

Would there be a robot rebellion inside a robot rebellion?

Started by Chelagoras The Boulder, January 11, 2015, 11:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 05, 2015, 05:32:07 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 05, 2015, 08:57:09 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 05, 2015, 07:02:05 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 05, 2015, 12:24:26 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 04, 2015, 11:16:07 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 04, 2015, 04:16:57 PM
Come to think of it I've experienced this as on occasion I'll misidentify something out of the corner of my eye because of expectation or just plain manic inattentive moments and when I do focus my conscious mind fully on the object it's not what my mind registered and 'saw'.

In testing I have well above average sight. I'm really sure the above is some sort of mental slip, but now I wonder how much of those good vision scores is my actual eyes and how much is my processor. My processor also is unusual in testing.

I had a private intelligence test done around the age of 18ish administered by a genuine psychiatrist that measured 4 types of intelligence. Composite score was 155 but with a skew in the data. My practical mechanical int was normal/bright at 115 range but my linguistic comp, pattern rec, and symbol interpretation score hit 190. That's 6 standard dev from the mean and as high as the test he used goes apparently.

What I wonder is how much of my 20-15 vision is my actual eyes ans how much my brain drawing accurate interpretation from thin data... my freakish, though still quite imperfect,  intuitive comprehension.

Vision tests are tests of the eyes' ability to focus correctly, and to a smaller measure of the density of cones in the fovea.

Hm. So mayhap it's more like I  do have fine function in my peepers and the brain oddity is a separate issue of consciousness.

What brain oddity?

The one I presume (and it only a lightly held presumption) accounts for my bipolar disorder and schism of competency. I have other little cognitive tics sometimes, particularly when occupied with several things at once and also trying to make words, that is to say speaking, texting, or writing mentally. 

I've come to think of it as having a leaky brain pan. Doesn't impair my normal daily function but not really helping.

I could find out the current state of the research on the neurobiology of bipolar disorder, if you're interested. I'm sure it'll come in handy for a paper eventually anyway.

That would be most interesting! Even just pointing me to references, if it's no trouble and can benefit you, would be awesome. Thanks!
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

LMNO

Quote from: Faust on February 05, 2015, 11:05:11 AM
Quote from: rong on February 01, 2015, 03:22:50 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on January 31, 2015, 09:36:04 PM
Quote from: rong on January 31, 2015, 09:30:10 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 30, 2015, 04:00:03 PM
The brain is nothing but a computer in  the same way a moose is nothing but a little red wagon.

brain is to computer as eye is to camera

Rong answer.
You know I'm rite
Computers store and process information using binary states of transistors acting as switches,
brains store information in connections through neurons that have both chemical states an electrical states, way more complex then a binary system. The two are not analogous.

They are both machines, and that is analogous. But brain/computer is erroneous compared to eye/camera comparison.

:slowclap:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 05, 2015, 07:43:48 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 05, 2015, 05:32:07 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 05, 2015, 08:57:09 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 05, 2015, 07:02:05 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 05, 2015, 12:24:26 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 04, 2015, 11:16:07 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 04, 2015, 04:16:57 PM
Come to think of it I've experienced this as on occasion I'll misidentify something out of the corner of my eye because of expectation or just plain manic inattentive moments and when I do focus my conscious mind fully on the object it's not what my mind registered and 'saw'.

In testing I have well above average sight. I'm really sure the above is some sort of mental slip, but now I wonder how much of those good vision scores is my actual eyes and how much is my processor. My processor also is unusual in testing.

I had a private intelligence test done around the age of 18ish administered by a genuine psychiatrist that measured 4 types of intelligence. Composite score was 155 but with a skew in the data. My practical mechanical int was normal/bright at 115 range but my linguistic comp, pattern rec, and symbol interpretation score hit 190. That's 6 standard dev from the mean and as high as the test he used goes apparently.

What I wonder is how much of my 20-15 vision is my actual eyes ans how much my brain drawing accurate interpretation from thin data... my freakish, though still quite imperfect,  intuitive comprehension.

Vision tests are tests of the eyes' ability to focus correctly, and to a smaller measure of the density of cones in the fovea.

Hm. So mayhap it's more like I  do have fine function in my peepers and the brain oddity is a separate issue of consciousness.

What brain oddity?

The one I presume (and it only a lightly held presumption) accounts for my bipolar disorder and schism of competency. I have other little cognitive tics sometimes, particularly when occupied with several things at once and also trying to make words, that is to say speaking, texting, or writing mentally. 

I've come to think of it as having a leaky brain pan. Doesn't impair my normal daily function but not really helping.

I could find out the current state of the research on the neurobiology of bipolar disorder, if you're interested. I'm sure it'll come in handy for a paper eventually anyway.

That would be most interesting! Even just pointing me to references, if it's no trouble and can benefit you, would be awesome. Thanks!

It's no trouble at all, I like going down little side-trails of research. I've also learned that you never know when all of a sudden something you looked up out of pure curiosity will turn out to be connected in a completely relevant way to something you absolutely need to know about.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Faust

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 05, 2015, 08:50:46 PM
Quote from: Faust on February 05, 2015, 11:05:11 AM
Quote from: rong on February 01, 2015, 03:22:50 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on January 31, 2015, 09:36:04 PM
Quote from: rong on January 31, 2015, 09:30:10 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 30, 2015, 04:00:03 PM
The brain is nothing but a computer in  the same way a moose is nothing but a little red wagon.

brain is to computer as eye is to camera

Rong answer.
You know I'm rite
Computers store and process information using binary states of transistors acting as switches,
brains store information in connections through neurons that have both chemical states an electrical states, way more complex then a binary system. The two are not analogous.

They are both machines, and that is analogous. But brain/computer is erroneous compared to eye/camera comparison.

:slowclap:
Sarcastic slow clap?

The comparison annoyed me because it gets the eye example lumped in with something sounding dumb.

The eye/camera example interests me because (I've worked in embedded electronics) and both are sensory equipment that can be tapped into (understanding of what it processes obviously doesn't occur in the eye).
I follow a lot of embedded electronics information and since 2009, sight prostheses for blind people have come leaps and bounds.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1231172/Blind-man-fitted-bionic-eye-sees-time-30-years.html
The last I heard was this one
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/incredible-moment-blind-man-bionic-4419846

In five years we have gone from blurry black and white outlines to 640 x 480 resolution, with some colour depth.

What really interests me is that a ccd array naturally picks up a lot more IR and UV then the human eye can, so much so that pretty much all digital cameras need an IR filter to make pictures look right.

Its bulky  and low res and moderately expensive now but in a few years it could be an option to some blind people
Sleepless nights at the chateau

LMNO

Faust

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

FWIW, the eye and the camera also bear very little technical similarity, and in a reversal of the brain analogy, while eyes are really complicated, they're also kinda shitty. Having camera eyes would be awesome.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 06, 2015, 03:29:21 PM
FWIW, the eye and the camera also bear very little technical similarity, and in a reversal of the brain analogy, while eyes are really complicated, they're also kinda shitty. Having camera eyes would be awesome.

I want robot stuff like that.  I would be full of useful things.
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Thanks for the link Nigel, about to read it now, then the links from Faust brought on by the :nonsarcasticslowclap:

never heard the term embedded electronics before, but I like it better than bionics.
I like even more that the blind see and the lame may yet walk. I owe much in my life to the good Science.

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 07, 2015, 02:05:02 AM

Me too. Not like full cyberpunk Shadowrun style but even an embedded ocular cam would be just super!
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh hell yes.

Faust

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 07, 2015, 03:40:29 AM
Thanks for the link Nigel, about to read it now, then the links from Faust brought on by the :nonsarcasticslowclap:

never heard the term embedded electronics before, but I like it better than bionics.
I like even more that the blind see and the lame may yet walk. I owe much in my life to the good Science.

Me too. Not like full cyberpunk Shadowrun style but even an embedded ocular cam would be just super!
Embedded electronics actually refers to low power, low level electronics, often used in in passive ways that people dont have to know they are interacting with them to interact with them.

There's no cool name for the Transhumanist stuff... medical devices, assisted living and as you said, bionics.

Tapping into nerves and understanding how it communicates sensory information is tricky, but its coming along with controlling arm/leg prostheses really well, the latest versions having even rudimentary feedback simulating skin.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Faust on February 07, 2015, 08:56:50 AM

Embedded electronics actually refers to low power, low level electronics, often used in in passive ways that people dont have to know they are interacting with them to interact with them.

There's no cool name for the Transhumanist stuff... medical devices, assisted living and as you said, bionics.

Tapping into nerves and understanding how it communicates sensory information is tricky, but its coming along with controlling arm/leg prostheses really well, the latest versions having even rudimentary feedback simulating skin.

Even just a bit of localized pressure sensitivity on a gripper would be awesome.

Think I saw a recent vid of a fellow that was double arm amputated using prosthesis quite well. I'm stoked about it!

I misunderstood the embedded bit, sorry. I've done a lot of work in electronic hand assembly. Used to have a c3 cert for aircraft, medical, and um.. other. Not terribly savvy on the engineering but I quite enjoy the craft of it and can follow on technical stuff pretty well. It messes with me a bit to think of how assembly might be handled for the future's devices. It's difficult enough to work lead free solder with a good flux, but some devices don't even allow that. Or didn't like 10 years ago.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Faust

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 07, 2015, 05:03:55 PM
Quote from: Faust on February 07, 2015, 08:56:50 AM

Even just a bit of localized pressure sensitivity on a gripper would be awesome.

Think I saw a recent vid of a fellow that was double arm amputated using prosthesis quite well. I'm stoked about it!

I misunderstood the embedded bit, sorry. I've done a lot of work in electronic hand assembly. Used to have a c3 cert for aircraft, medical, and um.. other. Not terribly savvy on the engineering but I quite enjoy the craft of it and can follow on technical stuff pretty well. It messes with me a bit to think of how assembly might be handled for the future's devices. It's difficult enough to work lead free solder with a good flux, but some devices don't even allow that. Or didn't like 10 years ago.
I've never had to solder anything like that, and I cant imagine how delicate those would be to work with. Precision grip does seem to be limited with the lack of pressure sensitivity, but considering the leaps its only a matter of time.

Doktor Howl

Nigel has one of those.  In her stomach.
Molon Lube