News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

Atheists and White Supremacists

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 23, 2013, 04:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 25, 2013, 05:19:13 PM
Is there a reason you chose white supremacy over other hateful uniforms people wear, like Westboro Baptists, or Red Sox Nation?  I have a feeling the board reaction would have been much different.

Because the comparison heard was Racisim, not wrapping ones self in a uniform and creating the Other.

Isn't that one definition of racism? 
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Is there a reason you chose white supremacy over other hateful uniforms people wear, like Westboro Baptists, or Red Sox Nation?  I have a feeling the board reaction would have been much different.

Because the comparison heard was Racisim, not wrapping ones self in a uniform and creating the Other.

I needed to leave for class and it was the first thing that popped into my head that is a meaningless club that insecure people align themselves with in order to feel superior to the Other.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 25, 2013, 05:20:39 PM

Yes. No arguing that.

Maybe I shouldn't keep teasing meaning from the OP. We now clearly know what Nigel said, meant, and why. The OP is over. I should probably let it go.

The Good Reverend Roger

This thread amazes me.  Truly, it does.  The point was made, and made very clearly.  Several people have said "I see the point".

But now it's time for PUNISHMENT because some people made other people UNCOMFORTABLE.  Despite the outcome, there must be PUNISHMENT.  Because that's all anyone knows to do anymore.

And that punishment is being inflicted in several ways:

1.  I'm LEAVING FOREVER to DENY YOU MY COMPANY because you PISSED ME OFF.
2.  I'm erasing YEARS of good content because YOU DON'T DESERVE IT/ME because you PISSED ME OFF.
3.  I'm going to come in here and PISS YOU OFF because you made me uncomfortable and now I have to keep saying the SAME THING OVER AND OVER AGAIN and DELIBERATELY miss the point because you PISSED ME OFF.

And some people aren't even all that pissed off.  They're just exhausted by it all.  But instead of saying - as Twid did - "I am fatigued and I must take a break", they are saying "I'M LEAVING FOREVER" because they're TIRED and PISSED OFF and they can't at this moment think well enough to NAIL THIS SHIT DOWN.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Right now, I'm operating under the assumption that most people right now fit into the last catagory (exhausted), because I choose to believe that most PDers didn't suddenly forget about Discordia.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 25, 2013, 05:27:21 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 25, 2013, 05:20:39 PM

Yes. No arguing that.

Maybe I shouldn't keep teasing meaning from the OP. We now clearly know what Nigel said, meant, and why. The OP is over. I should probably let it go.

I'm seeing a half-dozen people who are out to throw shit at the people who threatened their ideological space.

There are STILL people harping on and on about how ROTTEN Nigel is because she used hyperbole to point out a flaw in current popular thinking.

Could she have been more diplomatic?  Yeah, and the same people would have been upset in the same manner, because the problem isn't the White Supremacist angle, it's the idea that ideas were challenged, which means some people might have made a MISTAKE, and as I have been saying since 2002, people will KILL you to avoid admitting they made a mistake. Even an internal mistake.

BIP - 1
Discordia - 0

Game point.

hooplala

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 25, 2013, 05:18:29 PM
Wait just a second.

The Discordian knows that if there is ONE THING, even ONE tiny THING which another person can say in words or write down or draw in a picture which can cause said Discordian to have some kind of  hissyfit "how DARE you" reaction, that is a handle attached directly to the brain, by which The Machine™ can pick up that Discordian and walk him/her around like a funny little doll...Just the way it does its other cogs.  It is the duty of the Discordian to purge him or herself of such bad signal.  "Have just a little discretion" is The Machine's way of saying "I'll just stick it in A LITTLE bit."

As the Subgenii say, "FUCK EM IF THEY CAN'T TAKE A JOKE."

Now, lots of people got pissed off in this thread.  I know I did.  And that is HOW you purge that bad signal.  Get pissed, bounce off the walls until that shit comes flying out.

But having purged it, what then?  Waste all that effort by WALKING AWAY, with a BIG SORE ASS?

I don't know what to call that, but it's not MY Discordia­™.

This. This this, fucking THIS.

Yes, I was angry when the thread started out, but eventually I started questioning why exactly I was so angry... Someone once told me that if you get angry in an argument it's because in your gut you know you are talking bullshit. That thought started to needle me, and when I dug down I found some things I didn't like about myself very much.  I now think it was all for the better. For me, anyway.

To be honest, I'm not certain i would have done that searching of my soul if Nigel hadn't worded it the way she did.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

FURTHERMORE...

...The fact that we see and recognize the BIP is NOT a reason to stop TRYING to escape.  It is NOT some nihilistic EXCUSE to stop trying to better ourselves.  Someone just rattled your cage.  Are you going to curse at them for interrupting your nap, or are you going to FIND OUT WHICH BARS WERE LOOSE ENOUGH TO RATTLE?

LMNO

As for me, I'll admit that at first, I read what I wanted to read, not what was written. Then, I noticed I was confused, which triggered the Rationalist. I think for a few hours, all my posts contained some form of "I'm confused."

Finally, i.e. the next day, I went back to page 1 and re-read. That's when the fog lifted somewhat. There is still some lingering confusion, but that's most likely because her tactics aren't mine; but there's no blame or fault in that.

So, yeah. Some Capital-A atheists are insecure and more anti-Christian than anti-theist, and use their "I AM" as a blanket and a cudgel. I agree with that.

I'll also admit to having an anti-religious (rule based) bias, and even against some forms of "spirituality" and "faith".

But I certainly haven't found anything to be biased against the regular posters here in those ways.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 25, 2013, 05:51:08 PM
As for me, I'll admit that at first, I read what I wanted to read, not what was written. Then, I noticed I was confused, which triggered the Rationalist. I think for a few hours, all my posts contained some form of "I'm confused."

Finally, i.e. the next day, I went back to page 1 and re-read. That's when the fog lifted somewhat. There is still some lingering confusion, but that's most likely because her tactics aren't mine; but there's no blame or fault in that.

So, yeah. Some Capital-A atheists are insecure and more anti-Christian than anti-theist, and use their "I AM" as a blanket and a cudgel. I agree with that.

I'll also admit to having an anti-religious (rule based) bias, and even against some forms of "spirituality" and "faith".

But I certainly haven't found anything to be biased against the regular posters here in those ways.

I see all of this as a small part of a larger issue.

Are we Discordians, or are we not?  Can we be challenged in our thinking, or am I REALLY required to continue being all butthurt when P3NT says "faithfool", and is he REALLY required to keep saying it in the first place?

PUSH BUTTON A, LIGHT B COMES ON.  When you think about it, that would - electrically speaking - be an extremely simple circuit.  A button, a light, a power source, and a holding contact of some kind.

And I'd like to think that I have a slightly more complicated circuit than THAT.

How about PUSH BUTTON A, LIGHT COMES ON, TIMER RUNS OUT, LIGHT GOES BACK OFF.  Now I've changed the holding contact for a timing relay.  I get pissed for a little while, then calm down.

And then how about PUSH BUTTON A, LIGHT DOES NOT COME ON UNTIL SITUATION HAS BEEN ANALYZED.

That's a little harder to accomplish, but maybe it's worth doing.

The Good Reverend Roger

Thing is, I was DUMB in this thread and in the other one.  I was EXTERNALIZING.

WHY ARE YOU SO MAD WHEN YOU DIDN'T STICK UP FOR ME WHEN IT HAPPENED TO THE OTHER SIDE OVER IN THAT OTHER THREAD?" should have read "WHY ARE YOU SO MAD?"

I was angry that people were holding THEIR group's butthurt to a different standard than MY group's butthurt.

There's a little bit of OOK in there, when you think about it.  Of COURSE most people aren't going to be even-handed about that sort of thing, because MOST people will just walk on by when it's happening to The Other.  This is to be expected.  Now, some people were equally judgemental (demolition squid) about both "slurs".  But how many were equally reactive?  I know I wasn't.  I can't think of anyone who WAS, at least at first.

AT FIRST.

Humans need time to process things.  Then it's just a question of whether I can cool my BIG ENFLAMED ASS down enough to think about WHY people were reacting very differently to almost identical stimuli. 

The Good Reverend Roger

I realize I'm talking to myself, here.  I just want to keep ahold of these things so I don't forget.

The Good Reverend Roger

I'm too angry to speak.

If I speak, I will look weak because I was butthurt before and so I have to keep up appearances so my place in the pecking order isn't threatened.

If I speak, I will be letting the side down.

If I speak, someone might take that as an admission of error.

LMNO

If I speak, I fear somone will attack me.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 25, 2013, 06:46:40 PM
If I speak, I fear somone will attack me.

Yeah, there's that.  But what of it?  If you condition yourself to keep quiet out of fear, then I have some really, really bad news about your medium and long-term prospects here or - more importantly - anywhere else.

If NOTHING else, PD is a useful tool in learning how to stand up for yourself, for others, and for ideas.  Because there is only a social penalty for doing so, unlike many other situations.