News:

Testimonial: "None of you seem aware of quite how bad you are. I mean I'm pretty outspoken on how bad the internet has gotten, but this is up there with the worst."

Main Menu

Big Government is bad! Government overreach is bad!

Started by Cainad (dec.), December 04, 2014, 12:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cainad (dec.)

Except for the guys who can actually bust into your house and/or kill you if they have a good enough story for the judge and jury.

I'm going to try re-framing the discussion about police brutality by referring to cops as the government. Because, you know, they are.

Since government is terrible and badwrong about everything, this should provide "interesting discussion" on the center of reasonable discussion that is Facebook.

LMNO

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 04, 2014, 12:47:35 PM

:mittens:

I'm going to try very hard to push the "government should be held accountable" meme in these kinds of arguments. I'd like to see others try it too, and report any interesting results.

LMNO

If you give me slogans, I can make dozens of these, easily.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 04, 2014, 01:19:21 PM
If you give me slogans, I can make dozens of these, easily.

Unrelated, but please please please make me an Obama/Bieber 2016 one.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

LMNO

Q. G. Pennyworth

LMNO

Q. G. Pennyworth

So, the problem with getting this adopted is the BIG GOVERNMENT IS BAD crowd is almost always the same crowd that is pro death penalty. The Rugged Individualist thing and all the Calvinist heritage gets them to the point where if you did bad things YOU DESERVE TO DIE and if they do bad things (special pleading). They've been doing those intellectual gymnastics so long it will be very hard to even convince them to think about it.

Might get a giggle, though.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

ALTHOUGH IF YOU COULD REDO IT TO SPELL BIEBER WITH AN "IE" THAT WOULD BE EVEN BETTER.

Cain

I would just like to point out, a lot of libertarians already accept these points.

However, they're using it to agitate for the privatization of police services.

In the current American context, I see that outcome being far more likely than police reform.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: Cain on December 05, 2014, 09:55:40 AM
I would just like to point out, a lot of libertarians already accept these points.

However, they're using it to agitate for the privatization of police services.

In the current American context, I see that outcome being far more likely than police reform.

The argument being that citizens can at least sue private police...

...the reality being that private police will inevitably end up with the same favorable presumptions and indemnities as the old fashioned public kind.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

LMNO

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 05, 2014, 05:27:42 AM
ALTHOUGH IF YOU COULD REDO IT TO SPELL BIEBER WITH AN "IE" THAT WOULD BE EVEN BETTER.

WHOOPS.  MONDAY.