News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

The Black Iron Crib

Started by AFK, April 11, 2007, 01:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Okay, so, another of my hairbrained schemes is to write a children's book.  I have an excellent resource in my brother who is a crazy good artist.  I'd like to somehow do it from a BIP angle, but not in an overt fashion.  What I need is a central meme or theme that will appeal to children without hitting them over the head, (and keep parents from buying the thing)  Any ideas are welcome. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

A spark went off.  I will need the help of an illustrator, but I will put a storyboard up soon.

Cramulus

Maybe start by centering it on a traditional kid's book theme, like Teamwork or Working Together or Everybody Play Nice Together or whatever.

Then add a twist at the end where the kid realizes that he's got to break the rules now and then.

I really like this project idea. Incidentally, I'm an asst. editor for ESL elementary-level textbooks, so I could certainly help with writing, text tinkering etc. I could probably find some good images to go along with story.

tyrannosaurus vex

i wrote a children's book once for some class assignment in high school where everybody had to write one and then they got put in the public library for a couple weeks.

i got an A, but my book was the only one they decided wasn't suitable to be put in the library :(
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Triple Zero

this is an awesome idea.

just, RWHN, and i know you won't like what i'm gonna say, but make sure it doesn't end up too dark or gloomy ;-)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

AFK

Nah, besides, Grimm mastered the dark and gloomy for the kids.  And Mother Goose for that matter. 

I'm thinking more along the lines of reinforcing creativity and perhaps spontaneity. 

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on April 11, 2007, 05:06:47 PM
Nah, besides, Grimm mastered the dark and gloomy for the kids.  And Mother Goose for that matter. 

I'm thinking more along the lines of reinforcing creativity and perhaps spontaneity. 

that was 400 years ago.

what preschooler these days is acquainted with the real versions of those stories?

children have a mental language distinguishable from adults. much more susceptible, for example, to subliminal advertising.

make the book appeal to adults on the level adults will recognize, but purposely cause it to give children nightmares when they think about being one of the herd.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

AFK

So maybe my main character needs to be a sheep, or a lemming. 

Triple Zero

"the little black sheep that could" :)

good idea btw
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cramulus

maybe at the end of the winter, all the birds are like "okay it's time to go back to CANADA" and the main character bird is all like "fuck that, I'm sticking around for SPRING BREAK."

Adios

This is a good idea. Countering societies programming.

Ambassador KAOS

I have a friend who specializes in children's books and is all about expanding her mind in new directions (it's frequently the theme of her subject matter), I'll have her take  a look at this thread and future story boards for some insight.
AKK: twice as modded as you'd believe.

phear my 1337 braynz!!!!11one!

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on March 30, 2007, 11:42:40 PM
At this point, I believe there only two things that are going to stop him.

1.  His connection going down
2.  HIMEOBS

NEWS:  Principia Discordia dot com:  Now with 90% less Ambassador KAOS!

Thurnez Isa

you have a friend?
:lulz:  :lol: :lulz:  :lol: :lulz:  :lol: :lulz:  :lol: :lulz:  :lol: :lulz:  :lol:
:lulz:  :lol: :lulz:  :lol: :lulz:  :lol: :lulz:  :lol: :lulz:  :lol: :lulz:  :lol:

sorry there prostitutes don't count

Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Ambassador KAOS

wish I knew more prostitutes, at least they are honest about taking your money and they leave when you are done with them without having to be told.
AKK: twice as modded as you'd believe.

phear my 1337 braynz!!!!11one!

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on March 30, 2007, 11:42:40 PM
At this point, I believe there only two things that are going to stop him.

1.  His connection going down
2.  HIMEOBS

NEWS:  Principia Discordia dot com:  Now with 90% less Ambassador KAOS!

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.