News:

Hand drawn by monkeys in sweat-shop conditions.

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: NO CISNORMATIVE ELVEN PATRIARCHS ALLOWED

Started by Cain, January 22, 2015, 08:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Three minutes.

I definitely have to quit the Slough gig.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 07, 2015, 12:46:24 AM
Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on February 06, 2015, 07:00:29 PM
So, yesterday my students tried to get me fired for *GASP* enforcing the rules they're supposed to follow! My boss's boss had to come in and interrogate the entire class until they determined that the kids were stirring up pointless drama over not being able to do whatever they want all day. The rich rewards of working with children.

Quote from: Cain on February 06, 2015, 05:19:24 PM
Excellent.  Thanks to taking a student to hospital last night but one, it seems I've probably contracted influenza.

Just in time for my days off!

You guys make teaching sound so rewarding.

I know, right?

Also, Chelagoras, get used to that.  I had a student try to imply that I was not doing my job, in order to explain away certain facts that undermined his case (he set off a fire extinguisher. claimed he wasn't responsible.  His coat was found in the kitchen where it started.  Attempted to explain that away by saying he wasn't wearing that coat when he went out.  When his keys, which are handed in as he leaves and given back when he returns, were found in the pocket, he suggested I did not take the keys when he left).

Had anyone believed him, I could've been in some trouble.  Not a huge amount, but some.  Kids will always try and shift the blame onto others. it's a default reaction and, if it makes you feel any better, they probably didn't consider the consequences of their behaviour at all when they did stir the shit.

In this particular case, he was grassed up by his friends the moment they were seperated for questioning.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on February 07, 2015, 01:18:38 AM
So, yesterday my students tried to get me fired for *GASP* enforcing the rules they're supposed to follow! My boss's boss had to come in and interrogate the entire class until they determined that the kids were stirring up pointless drama over not being able to do whatever they want all day. The rich rewards of working with children.

Excellent.  Thanks to taking a student to hospital last night but one, it seems I've probably contracted influenza.

I know, right?

Also, Chelagoras, get used to that.  I had a student try to imply that I was not doing my job, in order to explain away certain facts that undermined his case (he set off a fire extinguisher. claimed he wasn't responsible.  His coat was found in the kitchen where it started.  Attempted to explain that away by saying he wasn't wearing that coat when he went out.  When his keys, which are handed in as he leaves and given back when he returns, were found in the pocket, he suggested I did not take the keys when he left).

Had anyone believed him, I could've been in some trouble.  Not a huge amount, but some.  Kids will always try and shift the blame onto others. it's a default reaction and, if it makes you feel any better, they probably didn't consider the consequences of their behaviour at all when they did stir the shit.

In this particular case, he was grassed up by his friends the moment they were seperated for questioning.

Any sign yet of motive or is it perhaps accident?  I remember you saying the investigation was all 'malicious vandalism' about it. If there was intent then leaving the coat would likely mean that he is unintelligent or suddenly in a hurry. I imagine both are common in spur of the moment arson. But the coat alone isn't enough.
You said he was gassed up by his friends. Does that mean something like ratted out?

Note I'm not remotely try to imply he wasn't involved. My big questions are 'was he the only one?' and 'what might the underlying cause of the deed be?'. Kids DO as you said shift blame and also with the kicking under the bus of the dumb one. Scapegoating is a thing kids take to all too readily.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Also.. dang long paper but great so far Nigel thanks!

Think I now get some of the utility of the open bar threads better.  You can mention the side stuffs from other threads without throwing the thread off course or causing unneeded wordbloat.

On that note I'm moved by circumstances to just be chilling on my own time for quite a bit of this weekend and really look forward to doing.. uh.. things here.

You know, words things. Just a little reading and writing on the Internet.
Nothing to see here. :)
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Cain

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 07, 2015, 04:24:39 AM

I know, right?

Any sign yet of motive or is it perhaps accident?  I remember you saying the investigation was all 'malicious vandalism' about it. If there was intent then leaving the coat would likely mean that he is unintelligent or suddenly in a hurry. I imagine both are common in spur of the moment arson. But the coat alone isn't enough.
You said he was gassed up by his friends. Does that mean something like ratted out?

Note I'm not remotely try to imply he wasn't involved. My big questions are 'was he the only one?' and 'what might the underlying cause of the deed be?'. Kids DO as you said shift blame and also with the kicking under the bus of the dumb one. Scapegoating is a thing kids take to all too readily.

He'd been drinking and I suspect was additionally coked up.  He's one of those students who tends towards crazy, attention grabbing antics, no matter how terrible an idea they are, because they put in him in the centre of attention.

The fire brigade said it was malicious, because there was no sign of a fire which would necessitate the use of an extinguisher.  And yeah, I meant to say "grassed up", but, well...typing at 2am under the influence of serious flu meds, is not precisely my forte.

And true, that alone would not be enough to clinch it.  However, the excuses he gave, the story he told, was so weak it made the "beer fairy" incident look credible by comparison.  After three people come forward, and he himself confessed....well, we have a pretty airtight case.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on February 07, 2015, 01:26:58 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 07, 2015, 04:24:39 AM

I know, right?

Note I'm not remotely try to imply he warsn't involved. My big questions are 'was he the only one?' and 'what might the underlying cause of the deed be?'. Kids DO as you said shift blame and also with the kicking under the bus of the dumb one. Scapegoating is a thing kids take to all too readily.

He'd been drinking and I suspect was additionally coked up.  He's one of those students who tends towards crazy, attention grabbing antics, no matter how terrible an idea they are, because they put in him in the centre of attention.

The fire brigade said it was malicious, because there was no sign of a fire which would necessitate the use of an extinguisher.  And yeah, I meant to say "grassed up", but, well...typing at 2am under the influence of serious flu meds, is not precisely my forte.

And true, that alone would not be enough to clinch it.  However, the excuses he gave, the story he told, was so weak it made the "beer fairy" incident look credible by comparison.  After three people come forward, and he himself confessed....well, we have a pretty airtight case.

Ya no doubt. Also sorry to hear of your illness. Lost a weekend a couple of weeks ago to a stomach flu probably exacerbated by overwork. I was unsure myself of whether gassed up might not be a slang usage I hadn't heard before. It could mean more or less the same though.. to pump someone full of drugs, alcohol, and bad ideas and let nature do the rest.

This kid sounds like just an asshole and a fool though.

Come to think of an it, 'can suffer fools with dignity' could be funny on a resume.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

minuspace

Damn delinquents with their hippety-hoppety extinguishers, for Pete's sake!  This is how you do it (hint, outside...):

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Some kind of a soup cup filled with rainwater, used syringes, and the packaging for a precision screwdriver set left on the small table in front of my house this morning. Dreadlocked woman nodded out in a chair in front of the entrance to my building. There may be a connection.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Pæs

Dad is in hospital with HA-MRSA and cellulitis after a hip replacement, so that's not great.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on February 07, 2015, 10:40:05 PM
Some kind of a soup cup filled with rainwater, used syringes, and the packaging for a precision screwdriver set left on the small table in front of my house this morning. Dreadlocked woman nodded out in a chair in front of the entrance to my building. There may be a connection.

You certainly live in an interesting neighborhood!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pæs on February 07, 2015, 11:00:49 PM
Dad is in hospital with HA-MRSA and cellulitis after a hip replacement, so that's not great.

Shiiit, I'm sorry!

Eater of Clowns

My friend's wife shipped all of us Jenga pieces to write on and send to him while he's away in law enforcement training for his 30th birthday. My contribution:

"Dear Brian, Happy 30th Birthday! I have not known you for 30 years but I hope to know you for the next 30, and the 30 after that (when we will all be part robot). You're my friend and my brother, and even across the country it's a better life for your part in it. May this block ever be that pain in the butt one that you can never quite get out properly, but also an integral one in providing structural support for your tower, no matter how wobbly and precarious it gets. And if you swallow it by accident may it pass painlessly and without complication. I would carefully avoid that test however, as I am unaware of the properties of this ink, in regards to toxicity or flavor. Before I run out of space remember"

Turns out you can write an awful lot on a Jenga block.   :lulz:
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Pæs on February 07, 2015, 11:00:49 PM

FUCK MRSA. Here's hoping for the best, Paes.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Cain

Just spent the last two hours vomiting.  That was fun.

Sorry to hear that about your dad, Paes/.