News:

Endorsement: "I could go so far as to say they simply use Discordianism as a mechanism for causing havoc, and an excuse for mischief."

Main Menu

What's In A Name?

Started by hooplala, July 11, 2005, 03:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

It would never cross my mind to attempt to judge other Discordians on how Discordian I believe they are, since the very nature of the beast is that Eris is different to each person.  The brilliance in this, to me, is that this is a beautiful parable of not only religion and philosophy, but absolutely everything - Discordianism is just more honest about it.  Not a single person out there looks at a can of Campbell's soup and thinks the same thing.  Not a single person out there looks at an Andy Warhol painting of a Campbell's Soup can and thinks the same thing.  Not a single person out there looks at the 'singing asshole' in Pink Flamingos and thinks of the same thing, not a single person; it's a hell of a Rorschach test.  

So, Discordianism, like anything else, is different for each person, but even more so, since permission is granted to mould the very concept to fit the parameters of your own mind.  This, obviously, gives a lot of room for interpretation to the individual.   To compound this, the central Discordian text, the Principia Discordia suggests that a Discordian should never believe what he or she reads, thereby causing a paradox, wherein the Principia renders all of its own contents moot.  This has resulted in many people, considering themselves Discordians, giving practically no credence to any of the contents of the Principia whatsoever.  Which is fine, if that wasn't the intention then why claim so in the first place?  I myself only given credence to a handful of concepts in the Principia and see the remainder as amusing filler, but I ask this . . . if you consider yourself a Discordian and think that Gregory Hill and Kerry Thornley were hippie-dippy crackpot peaceniks who wrote a load of nonsense and thought the world was simply an amusement park, then why do you even choose to name yourself after the concept they originated?  If you seem to loathe all their ideals, why do you align yourself with them?

I would ask any person who falls into this category to sit down somewhere quiet and look deep within themselves as to the motives of taking on the name Discordian.  Was it because you truly felt you were a Discordian, or was it because you could fuck shit up on a regular basis, screw with peoples minds, and generally act reprehensible with what you consider a license to do so?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

East Coast Hustle

let's get one thing straight, fucko...

those two hippie fucktards did NOT originate the idea of discordianism. They just put it into an easily digestible form for sheeple like you who like to go around telling people what REAL(tm) Discordianism is. You want the origins of the concept? Dig back a few thousand years.

or STFU.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Malaul

all this crap with titles
who cares what you call it as long as you believe in it and it works for you

and its about DISCORD
thats why that one thing about
"Principia Discordia suggests that a Discordian should never believe what he or she reads, thereby causing a paradox, wherein the Principia renders all of its own contents moot" is in there

to cause that affect
Coito ergo sum
O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem!
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy,the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon.  --Comedian Chris Rock

hooplala

Quote from: Malauland its about DISCORD
thats why that one thing about
"Principia Discordia suggests that a Discordian should never believe what he or she reads, thereby causing a paradox, wherein the Principia renders all of its own contents moot" is in there

to cause that affect

I get that . . . and I don't personally believe that all Discordians should get along, or live in some love-fest commune, but all this nonsense lately seems so juvenile.

I don't think anyone around here isn't being Discordian, that wasn't the point of my post, I just wonder WHY some people decide to become Discordian.  It just seems lately like some people use it as an excuse to be an asshole.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

East Coast Hustle

maybe some of us use our natural-born assholishness as an excuse to be discordians?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

agent compassion

I chose to be a Discordian because it is the one path I've encountered that doesn't make me feel like shit for being skeptical but actually encourages skepticism.

'I'll take you out for a meal with Mr. and Mrs. Pain, order up some violent quiche. Do you want some?' - ++++++ Moon

hooplala

That's as good a reason as any.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

If all things are Eris, and Eris is everything possible and impossible, and we are all Discordians, whether we want to be or not...

It's not like we really have a fucking choice now, is it?

PS:  LMNO = Erisian, not Discordian.

Donkeyotay

I'm just here to be entertained :twisted:

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Hahahahahaha....

Turd said Fucko

and sheeple!

Best words ever created, ever.

slothrop23

this whole discordian thing is working a treat dont you think?
Wind turbines.

I'm a big fan

Horab Fibslager

it was a calling. She whispered my name an di went forth.

despite teh soem fo the past 6 months(helthe last 6 days), i'm actually mroe about watchign teh ebb and flow of order and isorder, teh counterpushpull.

and some peopel think i'm funny. that's the answer here there. umm,.

funny thign is kerry thronely adn greg hill werent' necessarily peaceniks, nro did they necessarily think teh world was an amusement park. id unno what they thought myself,but i have alway shad the impression that they were well aware of the realities involved, possibly somewhat mroe so than that fellow who wrote teh quran or that other group of folsk who wrote the testimonies, and they had a much better sense of humour about it.
Hell is other people.

Iron Sulfide

firstly, i'd like to challenge the most peace loving members of the board,
and ask "when was the last time you did something out of anger?" (just once is enough to make my)

then i'd like to ask those more easily prone to anger/violence: "When was
the last time you were accosted or even so much as had your pride stepped on?" (again, once is enough)

i'd like to challenge the emo kids, when were you last really happy?

and the kids that make fun of the emo kids, when was the last time YOU were really happy? (if you're like 40+, i'll still call you a kid...i'll call you
a kid at 80, goddammit)

fuck the classes. i'm sure that we can all agree that (discordian or erisian)
regardless of what the others say, we're gonna go right the fuck on
(un)believing and practising as we see fit for ourselves, which ultimately...

isn't that the initial stepping stone that we all took at some point?
that we said "y'know, fuck those fuckin fuckers, i'm doin my own thing."

whether it was in the Principia, or something else, some awesome acid,
what have you, there was an initial stepping stone that each of us
stepped on at some point (unless you're still a cabbage, or you were
fortunate enough to be raised with openmindedness)

IF SOMEONE GOT THEIR START IN THE PRINCIPIA DISCORDIA, WHO
THE FUCK ARE YOU TO QUESTION THEIR CONTINUED USE OF IT?

you may stay, you may go, you may bobble in the water as a signal for someone else that a fish is biting/

i'm just cranky right now, and obsaervant of the name game again..
all i'm saying is it strikes me more as being discontent with one's self
to say "you, over there...you're wrong"

TRUE DISCORDIANISM is every brand of discordianism. from trolls, to
chaotes, to emos, to hippies, to haxxors, to art fags (like y.t.)

you're no more right or wrong than any other living or non living entity.
that is all.
Ya' stupid Yank.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

i became discordian like this shit:

friend: repeat afet me *conversion stuff* HAHA yuo = discordian now
me: WTF THERES A PLATE OF MUFFINS. *runs off*

and that is how it happened.

THE END

(ps im being serious!!!!  THERE REALLY WERE MUFFINS)

Iron Sulfide

that was, quite litereattly, the most beautiful story i've ever read.

EVAR
Ya' stupid Yank.