News:

There's only a handful of you, and you're acting like obsessed lunatics.

I honestly wouldn't want to ever be washed up on the shore unconscious on an island run by you lot.

Main Menu

Unlimited Wikileaks Shenanigans

Started by Prince Glittersnatch III, November 22, 2010, 09:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

Glad to see assange was never interested in the duty of surving society for its overall betterment and was instead just interested in the celebrety of being Mr Leaks.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Faust

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 22, 2011, 02:17:21 PM
Quote from: Lord Glittersnatch on August 22, 2011, 01:02:17 PM
And those were the Docs that were supposed to bring down BoA.

Guess who wins again?

The Con always wins, and with people like this opposing them, they deserve to win.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Faust on August 22, 2011, 02:28:23 PM
Glad to see assange was never interested in the duty of surving society for its overall betterment and was instead just interested in the celebrety of being Mr Leaks.

It wasn't Assange. It was his former partner, who seems to be in the pocket of the Con and is trying to start his own, media-friendly "leaks" corporation.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

If Discordians are tarring Assange with his erst-while cohort's behavior, then the age of leaks is already over...Because if WE don't have the patience to read an article for content, then nobody will.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Absolute fucking guarantee that Domscheit-Berg is on BoA's payroll. And, most likely, they have guns pointed at his family.

Bet he's dead from "suicide" within a couple of years.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nigel on August 22, 2011, 06:00:01 PM
Absolute fucking guarantee that Domscheit-Berg is on BoA's payroll. And, most likely, they have guns pointed at his family.

Bet he's dead from "suicide" within a couple of years.

Naw.  I bet he releases "leaks" for a long time.  Leaks that will be in BoA's interest.
Molon Lube

Cramulus

I am suspicious. I suspect that the data in question wasn't actually destroyed. If the issue is about redacting sensitive parts (such as informant IDs), Assange's partner could have done that without destroying a resource which would be useful to him. OR he's on somebody's payroll. No way to know for sure just yet.

I also suspect that the data wasn't very good anyway. As some have pointed out, it may be old news by now. At this stage, we can expect Assagne to play up its importance, and OpenLeaks to play up its volatility.

BUT IN THE LONG RUN, I don't think this will be an issue... To some extent, if you're talking about the personal dramas between the key players, you're missing the point.

In my mind, the leak phenomenon - the structure set up to catch and distribute these secrets - is going to be bigger and more long lasting than wikileaks itself.

Wikileaks : leaks :: Napster : piracy

The important thing IMO is that there is a process to receive and publicize leaks. It doesn't have to be run by Assange or Anti-Assange. If there are two organizations in competition to do that job better, then theoretically we're going to see some great fucking links.

If I could put on a tin foil hat for a moment.. My fear is that those who would be most harmed by leaks have created disinformation designed to discredit the whole leak process. So when you say "I heard about this sketchy thing this company was doing", the other guy says "You can't trust leaks - everybody knows that half of them are from the government anyway."

THAT'S what's going to kill it -- not some personal drama between two figureheads.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on August 22, 2011, 06:08:44 PM

If I could put on a tin foil hat for a moment.. My fear is that those who would be most harmed by leaks have created disinformation designed to discredit the whole leak process. So when you say "I heard about this sketchy thing this company was doing", the other guy says "You can't trust leaks - everybody knows that half of them are from the government anyway."

THAT'S what's going to kill it -- not some personal drama between two figureheads.

I think one guy - the guy from the article - sold them out, with even worse potential results.
Molon Lube

Cramulus

At this point, my money is about 50% on Daniel Domscheit-Berg being a paid stoolie. I can also see the angle that somebody working at Wikileaks could get fed up with how much spotlight Assange got. He rolled around acting like James Bond, and I can imagine that would be very frustrating to somebody who was in it for the right reasons.

Thing is, in order to maintain his momentum, Domscheit-Berg is going to need to make some headlines himself. In doing that, he will have to reveal more of his hand.

Best case scenario is that there are now two leak organizations competing to provide better leaks.

Medium case scenario is that the axis of difference between the organizations is that one is responsible and the other is irresponsible. (ie paragon vs renegade ... Picard vs Kirk)

Worst case scenario is that once the issue gets confused, nobody trusts ANY leaks anymore. The silver lining to this is that it prevents organizations from leaking info as part of their own marketing strategies.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on August 22, 2011, 06:21:48 PM
At this point, my money is about 50% on Daniel Domscheit-Berg being a paid stoolie. I can also see the angle that somebody working at Wikileaks could get fed up with how much spotlight Assange got.

Wouldn't be the first worthy effort brought down by egos.

Best case scenario is that there are now two leak organizations competing to provide better leaks.

So where are these leaks?

Medium case
scenario is that the axis of difference between the organizations is that one is responsible and the other is irresponsible. (ie paragon vs renegade ... Picard vs Kirk)

Worst case scenario is that once the issue gets confused, nobody trusts ANY leaks anymore. The silver lining to this is that it prevents organizations from leaking info as part of their own marketing strategies.

No, worst case scenario is that bogus leaks get made to look legitimate, and the whole system is coopted.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 22, 2011, 06:25:50 PM
At this point, my money is about 50% on Daniel Domscheit-Berg being a paid stoolie. I can also see the angle that somebody working at Wikileaks could get fed up with how much spotlight Assange got.

Wouldn't be the first worthy effort brought down by egos.

So where are these leaks?

Medium case
scenario is that the axis of difference between the organizations is that one is responsible and the other is irresponsible. (ie paragon vs renegade ... Picard vs Kirk)

No, worst case scenario is that bogus leaks get made to look legitimate, and the whole system is coopted.

DINGDINGDINGDINGDING.

Cramulus

The leak phenomenon can't be fully co-opted. At best, they can hope that some bogus leaks get accepted alongside the real leaks. If the system doesn't occasionally publicize real leaks which produce real change, nobody will listen to the fake ones either.

The best parasites are ones that allow the host to go on functioning normally.

Faust

Quote from: Nigel on August 22, 2011, 05:48:06 PM
Quote from: Faust on August 22, 2011, 02:28:23 PM

It wasn't Assange. It was his former partner, who seems to be in the pocket of the Con and is trying to start his own, media-friendly "leaks" corporation.

Oops, got that back to front.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on August 22, 2011, 06:59:16 PM
The leak phenomenon can't be fully co-opted. At best, they can hope that some bogus leaks get accepted alongside the real leaks. If the system doesn't occasionally publicize real leaks which produce real change, nobody will listen to the fake ones either.

If the goal is to discredit leaks altogether, then that works, right?

And even if they did, how would you know which is which?  Or the "real" leaks will concern their political enemies.
Molon Lube

Triple Zero

Goddamnit what a fucker.

I wonder though if he's paid or blackmailed. Not that it matters one bit.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.