News:

There's a sucker born every minute... and you are right on time.

Main Menu

Fruit in savoury salads

Started by Pope Pixie Pickle, October 13, 2010, 10:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

is fruit in salad bad and wrong?

Orange and avocado is awesome
1 (9.1%)
Stawberries and balsamic make me cream my pants
1 (9.1%)
i'll give both a try
8 (72.7%)
eeew, thats wrong
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: December 12, 2010, 09:31:45 PM

Pope Pixie Pickle

me and badge are mid culinary argument about putting sweet fruit in salad, i especially would like to get LMNO and ECH opinion on this.

Rumckle

My step mother occasionally puts apples or pears into a salad.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

East Coast Hustle

not only OK, but pretty much essential if you want the salad to be anything other than boring rabbit food. My favorite is baby spinach and spring greens with pears, candied walnuts, and either goat cheese or stilton. Almost any vinaigrette will work for it but a blueberry or raspberry vinaigrette works really well.

ETA: I had versions of that salad at both my pizzeria and the restaurant I was cheffing at before I took my current job an it was by far the best-selling salad at both places.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

basically, if the salad is composed of any sort of interesting greens (IOW, not iceberg lettuce or romaine), it needs a sweet component to balance out the light bitterness of the greens, and fruit works really well for that in addition to providing some color and texture.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Sir Squid Diddimus

Fruit goes really well with savory salads.
I also agree with pears/apples and stilton with walnuts. We put that crap in our salads often. Oranges go good with ginger dressing, strawberries with vinaigrette, dried cranberries and walnuts, apricot bleu..

how can you not.. it's good

Nast

Roasted sweet cherries

+

A creamy cheese
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Nast

The only fruit in salads I loathe is those canned mandarin oranges. To me, everything about them is offensive.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Phox

Fruits are good with everything.  :)

Nast

Quote from: Phox on October 14, 2010, 05:43:47 AM

Especially penises.

Oops did I say that?

Phox

Quote from: Nast on October 14, 2010, 05:45:31 AM
Quote from: Phox on October 14, 2010, 05:43:47 AM

Especially penises.

Oops did I say that?

No argument here. Strawberries are particularly good with penis.

BADGE OF HONOR

Quote from: First City Hustle on October 14, 2010, 12:53:05 AM
basically, if the salad is composed of any sort of interesting greens (IOW, not iceberg lettuce or romaine), it needs a sweet component to balance out the light bitterness of the greens, and fruit works really well for that in addition to providing some color and texture.

For one, I like the taste of interesting greens and don't think they need balancing out.  For two, I prefer non-sweet fruits like tomatoes or bell peppers or avocado to add interest.  *shrug*
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Suu

I've had apples, strawberries, dried cranberries and watermelon in salad before. It's remarkably refreshing during the summer.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Dysfunctional Cunt

I had an arugula and micro green salad with pieces of plum and pumkin seeds with this plummy vinigerette (was really rather sweet) that was absolutely awesome at this lunch thing my company had me go to.  I've had the fruits mentioned here in a lot of different salads, but this was the first time I've ever had plum and mixed with the peppery arugula it was an amazing mix of flavors.

Suu

Black pepper on watermelon is better than it sounds.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Doktor Princess on October 15, 2010, 03:06:58 PM
Black pepper on watermelon is better than it sounds.

This is true.  Have you ever had chilli salt on pineapple?  OMG YUM!