News:

Urgh, this is what I hate about PD.com, it is the only site in existence where a perfectly good spam thread can be misused for high quality discussions.  I hate you all.

Main Menu

ATTN: UK SPAGS, I need your help

Started by Dalek, February 22, 2013, 07:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalek

Today I got my last conditional offer on UCAS and I need a bit of inside information on your glorious country.

I'm going to study Social Anthropology and Politics and I've got conditional offers from the universities of Sussex, Kent and Manchester.

Kent looks like a rich folks town, which makes me think living costs there are gonna be too big. From what I've heard Manchester is full of chavs and gun crime (is that true?). The university looks pretty good though. And Sussex looks like a nice place, although it's a bit low in the league tables (how important is that?). Also which one of these three cities is the best to live in? And if anyone's studied in these universities, please share your impressions. Thanks  :fnord:

Payne

They're all terrible.

You should go to the university of Lerwick.

They go FULL norse.

Payne

Manchester is alright if you find a decent area to stay. Kent and Sussex are going to expensive as all hell.

Cain

Sussex will be expensive, but it's got a very good Politics and Sociology department (Justin Rosenberg still lectures there, I believe).  Sussex does provide on-campus accomodation in the first year....you're not too far from Brighton and thus London either.

Kent is probably the most expensive, but only by a bit.  I don't know much about the University itself.

Manchester will definitely be the cheapest, as things are Grim Up North.  Manchester's a huge city, and can be quite fun...but it can also be quite terrifying, if you accidentally walk into Moss Side at 3am.  I believe Manchester Uni is alright, but don't quote me on that.

Trivial

My knowledge of Manchester involves a friend of mine getting his car stolen and set on fire.

That and cheese and crisp sandwiches.

Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Cain

Throw in a stabbing and that's pretty much Manchester.

Mangrove

A good friend of mine went to Manchester in the early 90s and stayed for 10+ years. In fact, I think he would of stayed there but personal and economic circumstances forced him to move.

I don't know what it's like there now, but he assured me that while there were certainly problems, a lot of the tabloid headlines were overstated (aren't they always?). It's a major city, so you get all the pros and cons of that. (And there are significantly worse cities you could live in eg: Detroit)

Anyway, he was a skinny, long haired, alternative looking, architecture student type and he survived there without any problems. That's not to say people didn't drive past in cars and yell "ORANGE TWAT" at him because of a coat that he used to wear but, I don't think he was ever in any real physical danger that I know of.

One of his big regrets in leaving Manchester was missing out on the Indian food.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Cain on February 22, 2013, 07:52:24 PM
Sussex will be expensive, but it's got a very good Politics and Sociology department (Justin Rosenberg still lectures there, I believe).  Sussex does provide on-campus accomodation in the first year....you're not too far from Brighton and thus London either.

Kent is probably the most expensive, but only by a bit.  I don't know much about the University itself.

Manchester will definitely be the cheapest, as things are Grim Up North.  Manchester's a huge city, and can be quite fun...but it can also be quite terrifying, if you accidentally walk into Moss Side at 3am.  I believe Manchester Uni is alright, but don't quote me on that.

Brighton is a lot of fun, and also England's closest thing to San Francisco in terms of liberal queer friendly happy hippy town. it's also rather pretty in it's architecture. but housing prices are fucking steep. Not London steep, but still.

Junkenstein

I found Manchester to be surprisingly safe and prices generally reasonable aside from Parking. The music scene around there is pretty good too.

If you're looking for a 3 year party, you could pick worse.

If you're looking for a quality course, is the offer from Manchester Metropolitan or Manchester Uni? There are 2 universities there and the standard of the course could vary significantly.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Dalek

After reviewing my options and reading everything I could find on the web on the three universities, I'm finally more inclined towards Kent. My only concern is finding a job there, as Canterbury looks a bit small, but I know that if I look hard enough I will find something, so I don't think it's something to really bother about.

Don't really care about nightlife and such. I'm absolutely bored of partying and clubs and I'm more inclined to chose a small picturesque town, rather than a big city. Quality social interaction does not happen in clubs.

Buying a longboard and going to Kent is starting to feel like the perfect choice. Thanks for the advice guys <3

The Good Reverend Roger

Manchester is sort of England's Tucson, as I understand it.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Manchester, Glasgow and a bit of Belfast too.

Speaking of which, just the other day, a plot involving van-mounted artillery strikes in Belfast by the Real IRA was only narrowly averted.

VAN.  MOUNTED. ARTILLERY. 

Junkenstein

Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.

The real question is why this hasn't been seen sooner.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on March 05, 2013, 04:31:33 PM
Manchester, Glasgow and a bit of Belfast too.

Speaking of which, just the other day, a plot involving van-mounted artillery strikes in Belfast by the Real IRA was only narrowly averted.

VAN.  MOUNTED. ARTILLERY.

I just spagged out.  :banana:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Junkenstein on March 05, 2013, 04:36:31 PM
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.

The real question is why this hasn't been seen sooner.

my only surprise is that this had not already been done.