News:

FUCK YOU! MY UNCLE SAM DIED FROM NOT USING FACTS!

Main Menu

IT MEANS SOMETHING ELSE NOW/ WHAT IT IS NOW/ NAME FIVE

Started by E.O.T., April 30, 2012, 01:44:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.O.T.

BEING A NERD

I may not be a hundred per cent certain (say it to yourself slow, like a movie hillbilly character) WHAT the kids mean by it nowadays, but being a nerd has all sorts of qualities we never gave it as kids, and back then if anything, it certainly was not a good or cool thing.

BUT

like other things which used to not be cool, we celebrate them now.

THIS THREAD

however, is about the timeless amazing fantasticness of comic books. let's talk about what comic book you are reading right now and why you love it. just one rule: this has to be a real physical comic book, no e-things or web based stuff.
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Salty

I actually just slammed down some thoughts on The killing Joke but I think I'm going to put it in the existing comic book thread in LIT CHAOTIC.

:lulz:
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

E.O.T.

OH YEAH,

and/ or name five graphic novels to go get, cuz they rock!

I'LL KICK THAT OFF

with 1) "Y the last man" - i'm on book 7 of ten collected editions and it still rocks!

2) "Incognito" - ed brubaker brings the weird powers to noir, yeah!

3) "bullet proof coffin" the whole thing comes together, you. it. her. bam.

4) "batman incorporated" - uh huh, inevitably the deal.

5) something so awesome which i'm reading now yet has not been collected

6) "lil depressed boy" - not the best, but so cute!!

E.O.T.

Quote from: Alty on April 30, 2012, 01:49:41 AM
I actually just slammed down some thoughts on The killing Joke but I think I'm going to put it in the existing comic book thread in LIT CHAOTIC.

I'M NOT

allowed to wander outside of appletalk

E.O.T.

but i already like that other thread better cuz it has stuff i can respond to, even if, in like, 5 months only two people have commented.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: E.O.T. on April 30, 2012, 01:58:44 AM
Quote from: Alty on April 30, 2012, 01:49:41 AM

I'M NOT

allowed to wander outside of appletalk

Well, you should just to check this out, because it's awesome: http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php/topic,32087.0.html
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cainad (dec.)

Been picking my way through The Sandman over the past year. If any one here is into comics/graphic novels and has heard of it, let me tell you: it really is that good.

Recently read the first issue of a comic I picked up for free over a year ago, The Unwritten. Solid first issue that introduces just the right amount of mystery. Looking to pick up the trades soon.

Ultimately, I've been learning that the comics which really appeal to me are the non-superhero ones, with some exceptions. Deadpool is universally fun, and the miniseries Kingdom Come from DC comics is a compelling and entertaining deconstruction of the worst excesses of the comics of the 1990s.

E.O.T.

Quote from: Cainad on April 30, 2012, 04:58:43 PM
Been picking my way through The Sandman over the past year. If any one here is into comics/graphic novels and has heard of it, let me tell you: it really is that good.

Recently read the first issue of a comic I picked up for free over a year ago, The Unwritten. Solid first issue that introduces just the right amount of mystery. Looking to pick up the trades soon.

Ultimately, I've been learning that the comics which really appeal to me are the non-superhero ones, with some exceptions. Deadpool is universally fun, and the miniseries Kingdom Come from DC comics is a compelling and entertaining deconstruction of the worst excesses of the comics of the 1990s.

HEY!

thanks for responding! I'm over in the literate chaotic thread since Alty pointed it out -

BUT YEAH,

the sandman series really just is that great, i agree. I've noticed the "Unwritten" title but never checked it - I will! Is that a Milligan?

ON A

related note, the "sandman mystery theatre" title by Matt wagner & Guy davis is great old school stuff.

IF

you've never read the "Incognito" series by Ed Brubaker, i think it's an excellent mix of anti- hero-super power/ magic kinda blood n guts crime noir. There is a new story arc out, but the original series is the place to start. As much as I really like original stories n art, I still get suckered into the soap opera of the modern mythology in all the major titles, cuz i love certain characters and just can't help it.

as absurd as "batman incorporated" may be on the surface, grant morrison is laying out some fantastic stuff. But even grant morrison will not get me to pick up a superman comic. that is all.

Doktor Howl

Anything written by Warren Ellis that isn't superhero shit.

Garth Ennis for when I'm feeling particularly misanthropic.

Jonathan Hickman is a new favorite.
Molon Lube