Tell me how you broke your favorite class. Any class from any system.

Started by Freeky, November 05, 2011, 08:16:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trix

semi-related, but one thing I always wondered...

What is your opinion on allowing Molotov Cocktails in D&D?  My DM has been pretty good about it, to the point where my wizard can soak rope in alcohol, set it on fire, and use my rope magic to fire-whip mine enemies for bonus burning damage.  But I don't think this is supposed to happen.

I'm a bit of a D&D noob though, so maybe not.

Anyway, carry on.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: trix on November 08, 2011, 04:41:11 PM
semi-related, but one thing I always wondered...

What is your opinion on allowing Molotov Cocktails in D&D?  My DM has been pretty good about it, to the point where my wizard can soak rope in alcohol, set it on fire, and use my rope magic to fire-whip mine enemies for bonus burning damage.  But I don't think this is supposed to happen.

I'm a bit of a D&D noob though, so maybe not.

Anyway, carry on.

Flask of Oil as a splash weapon already exists as does Alchemists Fire so I see no problem adapting those... and setting a whip on fire should work as well, though my DM would likely make you hit yourself if you rolled a 1... maybe even risk hitting yourself if you missed by more than X.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cramulus

Not "broken", but had a lot of fun playing a D&D 3.5 conjurer with the "Craft Wand" feat.

You make a wand, it's got 50 charges... a few levels later, you've only used up like 15 charges tops, and the monsters you can summon with that wand are useless. Which means you should try to involve them in EVERY POSSIBLE RP SCENE.

I summoned Lemures, which are level 1 devils.

Wretched little things! I'd always have them tucking the other PCs into bed, packing up our gear, setting the dinner table, all sorts of obnoxious things. The other PCs were grossed out by the wretched and miserable lemures, which only gave me license to use them WHENEVER I COULD.

In 4e, it's harder to make a broken character -- to really mess with the DM, you have to build a broken TEAM. Everybody's specialties compliment each other in a way that's hard to counter.

I had a half orc barbarian who used a greatspear (a reach weapon) and specialized in two things: Charging, and knocking people prone. Knocking a guy prone when he's still a square away is nasty... if he doesn't have a ranged attack, his next turn will consist of standing up and moving.

We had a shaman and a mage who both chose powers that make the enemies take extra damage when they fall prone within the spell's area. So the mage would lay down an acid mire, then I'd rush into it and trip the guy every time he stood up. He's taking damage from my attack, AND the wizard's attack, AND if the fighter is in the right position, the monster can't get out of the mire. Lot of fun! Made our DM snap his pencils on a few occasions.

There are a lot of things you can do in 4e to make charging worth it. Barbarians have certain attacks that work when they charge. You can get an item that allow you to charge without provoking opportunity attacks. You can get a helmet which adds another d6 to charge attacks. You can get boots which let you take a 5-foot step after you charge, which, if you have a reach weapon, can puts you in position to charge again.

One barbarian ability allows you to, once per combat, make a charge immediately after reducing a monster to 0 HP. So I'd charge at a shitty minion who will die in one hit, then use that death to springboard to the back of the board and lock down the enemy spellcaster. I'd knock him down, then spend an action point to enter a rage. At level 7, with some lucky rolling, I once did a record breaking 107 damage in one round.

Freeky

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Vampire: The Masquerade

Nosferatu (Old World of Darkness)
9th Gen
Max Socials at 13
Animalism 5
Obfuscate 5
Presence 2
Enchanting Voice (+2 Social traits)
Torn Sap Gloves Fetish (Spirit of Intimidation +2 Intimidation social traits)
Animal Ken 5
Combo Discipline: Animal Magnetism (allows you to add your levels of animalism to a social challenge)
Combo discipline: Mortal Terror (allows you to engage in a social challenge vs willpower, if you win you 'Dread Gaze' your opponents Beast and send them into frenzy)

So I can challenge someone to a Social Challenge at 22 traits vs their Willpower, retest Animal Ken to send them into a Fear Frenzy with me as the object of their fear. Generally this is done with four or five of my Nos Enforcers obfuscated around the target, ready to attack as soon as the poor sod loses it.

Not to mention a Nosferatu that can bid 22 traits in any Social challenge (with the Awe retest)... it makes the Toreador and Ventrue cry themselves to sleep every morning

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Freeky

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on November 09, 2011, 09:28:22 AM
Vampire: The Masquerade

Nosferatu (Old World of Darkness)
9th Gen
Max Socials at 13
Animalism 5
Obfuscate 5
Presence 2
Enchanting Voice (+2 Social traits)
Torn Sap Gloves Fetish (Spirit of Intimidation +2 Intimidation social traits)
Animal Ken 5
Combo Discipline: Animal Magnetism (allows you to add your levels of animalism to a social challenge)
Combo discipline: Mortal Terror (allows you to engage in a social challenge vs willpower, if you win you 'Dread Gaze' your opponents Beast and send them into frenzy)

So I can challenge someone to a Social Challenge at 22 traits vs their Willpower, retest Animal Ken to send them into a Fear Frenzy with me as the object of their fear. Generally this is done with four or five of my Nos Enforcers obfuscated around the target, ready to attack as soon as the poor sod loses it.

Not to mention a Nosferatu that can bid 22 traits in any Social challenge (with the Awe retest)... it makes the Toreador and Ventrue cry themselves to sleep every morning

The game I played in, no one was allowed to have higher than a 3rd gen character, and writing up a new one meant 1st gen.

Also, I hated how you had to rock-paper-scissors in place of dice-rolling for the LARP.

Scribbly

I played Vampire three times. All three times I played a Malkavian. I am no longer allowed to play Vampire.

Apparently it is bad form to use the Auspex power Telepathy in order to torture people by making them listen to the Captain Scarlet themetune which only they can here, and impersonate the Mysterons with a torch and a sheet of cardboard.

All you need for this is Auspex... 4, if memory serves.

(I don't think Captain Scarlet made it to the states, so here is the awesome http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV6m9NlsOJ4)

I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Demolition_Squid on November 14, 2011, 09:50:32 PM
I am no longer allowed to play Vampire.

The punch the guy running the game in the balls repeatedly, for being a fucking sissy.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Luna

Quote from: Demolition_Squid on November 14, 2011, 09:50:32 PM
I played Vampire three times. All three times I played a Malkavian. I am no longer allowed to play Vampire.

Apparently it is bad form to use the Auspex power Telepathy in order to torture people by making them listen to the Captain Scarlet themetune which only they can here, and impersonate the Mysterons with a torch and a sheet of cardboard.

All you need for this is Auspex... 4, if memory serves.

(I don't think Captain Scarlet made it to the states, so here is the awesome http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV6m9NlsOJ4)

My Malkavian managed to creep out the entire table.   :lulz:  She was turned at the age of five.  Carried around a doll of the Count.  (You know, this guy:  )

"I wouldn't do anything BAD...  It was the Count!"

"The Count doesn't LIKE it when you say mean things to me..."

"The Count doesn't LIKE you..."  (The next sunset, the recipient of that particular line had vanished, and was never seen again...)
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Cramulus

played trolled a vampire larp at the Origins Convention once...

We were a party of three. Everybody's making characters at the same power level, so if you specialize instead of spreading yourself out, you can rule at doing one thing. Then the trick is to have a coterie which can make up for your flaws.

I put all my eggs in the mental basket and could beat any other player at any mental test.

My buddy put all his eggs in the social basket.

The third guy was a brute and specialized in overpowering people in close quarter physical combat.

The game took place at the origins "rave". (which was a sad and weird place to be)

The three of us walked around the rave looking for people to screw with. If any vampire players gave us attitude, we hit them with the "Holy Trinity":

Which consists of tricking them into making eye contact, trancing them into submission, then commanding them to walk with us to the parking lot, where the bruiser would shank them and leave their body in a dumpster.

YOU LOSE VAMPIRE!!

Eventually the game broke into a 10-person gunfight, at which point I yawned and went to bed.

The Wizard Joseph

I've always been a fan of Steve Jackson games and started on GURPS.  Mostly because it was possible for me to say, "Hey Mom & Dad, this game's not like that satanic old Dungeons & Dragons!  Look I can do anything from caveman to space ranger.  I don't even think there's magic at all if you don't want it."  It worked!  :p 

This meant that I frequently had to be the ST, but I was ok with that.  I Love telling stories!

One NPC I created for In Nomine was the Demon of the Horrible Truth.

The brokenness was not in the stats, they were just strong enough to be a challenge for the players if they tried to kill him outright.

The brokenness was in the concept.

Demons and angels have types in the game.  The relevent ones here are the Seraph and Balseraph. 

A Seraph has the ability to not only tell when it hears a lie of any sort, but depending on it's dice roll and specialty may well "just know" what the truth actually is.  If they lie they develop a negative vibration in themselves that does bad stuff over time and can lead to a fall, so they tend not to.

A Balseraph is a fallen Seraph and has the ability to lie and convince others of it as long as the inconsistency is never discovered and the Balseraph plays the part.  Getting caught does bad things just like a Seraph lying.  They do this by making a new version of the universe in themselves and would never consider themselves liars at all.  Then they bring others into the lie with appropriate dice rolls.

Each type of celestial entity has differing versions of such innate powers and drawbacks.  They ALSO tend to get other abilities depending on the Archangel or Demon prince that they work for.  I gave the book away years ago and don't remember the demon prince's name, but the character was in service to the prince that concerned itself with hell's intelligence services.  I think it was Kronos, Demon Prince of Fate.  He allows Balseraphs that work for him to have the powers and drawbacks of any one class of angel. 

I chose Seraph for this guy because although it prevents him from telling falsehoods it does allow him to KNOW THE TRUTH AND CONVINCE YOU OF IT.  He could also still give suggestions using the Balseraph power, but they had to be subjectively stated.  This made him effectively the worst thing that ever happened to most mortals.  It also incidentally made him one of the few trustworthy demons in all of hell, but that's not really a good thing in his case.

DHT:  "Hey there!  :)  You know she's cheating on you right?  I mean you Know it!  I know you do.  People will think you're a cowardly little pussy if you don't do something about it.  You don't want that do you? Of course you don't!  They're on your bed right now.  They'll probably be there for hours.  She doesn't respect you.  Walkart has shotguns and slugs on sale right now, you can afford it.  I know you're at work now, but you can leave and nobody will care.  You feel kind of ill right now anyway, don't you?  While you're feeling so ill and pathetic you could stop a Walkart and get what you need to solve two of you problems! People respect problem solvers.  You know what you have to do to be respected again."

The rest is all plot related, but you never know what little push will bring on a terrible Fate.  God I miss gaming!

Moral: If somebody walks into a Walkart and buys Pepto and a cheap 12 gague shit's about to get heavy.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl