News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: Top 10 things millenials hate about OB that we didn't know last week!

Started by Doktor Howl, April 23, 2015, 04:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

minuspace

Faust

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 01, 2015, 01:10:55 PM
Quote from: Cain on July 01, 2015, 11:31:22 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 01, 2015, 05:22:23 AM
Quote from: Cain on July 01, 2015, 03:34:06 AM
I wonder if sales of Hagakure are soaring in wake of season 2 of True Detective, much like season one prompted purchases of The King in Yellow?  It was pretty prominently displayed in episode one in Ani Bezzerides' home, alongside a less prominent copy of A Book of Five Rings and some what look like some Fairbairn and Sykes knife-fighting manuals.

Well tough luck poseurs, my samurai killer manuals are well over a decade old. My knifefighting manuals too, though I only keep digitized copies of those nowadays.

Who the hell is Ani Bezzerides?

Character in True Detective.  Likes knives, has a New Age hippie cult leader for a father and, works for the County Sherrif's office and spends most of her time staring into the middle distance while looking mildly perturbed

And her full name is Antigone. 

I swear, if there's even a hint that she's going to get locked up in a mausoleum or something, I'm gonna punch the scriptwriters in the face.

Also, save for the final two minutes of last episode, it's is boring as fuck.

Her life is already the tomb her father made for her.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

LMNO

Quote from: Faust on July 01, 2015, 02:10:52 PM

I swear, if there's even a hint that she's going to get locked up in a mausoleum or something, I'm gonna punch the scriptwriters in the face.

Her life is already the tomb her father made for her.

:cpd:

Cain

So since it's too hot to sleep, I was flipping through my work emails and I noticed (in addition to the three residents who had to visit hospital today, at least in one case possibly due to heat exhaustion) this little doozy:

Quote from: Shift notesYoung man came in claiming he was from the Office of National statistics. Very doubtful this was the case as he came asking questions about flat 19. He was persistent to know information about this room, who lived there, is it empty, when is it next being used etc. The behaviour of this man was very dubious and therefore, [staff member] to review CCTV to identify him. Email also sent to [senior staff].

Once is happenstance.  Twice is coincidence.  Three times...that, ladies and gentleman, is enemy action.  I'm feeling very confident about my security meeting...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on July 02, 2015, 02:42:55 AM
So since it's too hot to sleep, I was flipping through my work emails and I noticed (in addition to the three residents who had to visit hospital today, at least in one case possibly due to heat exhaustion) this little doozy:

Quote from: Shift notesYoung man came in claiming he was from the Office of National statistics. Very doubtful this was the case as he came asking questions about flat 19. He was persistent to know information about this room, who lived there, is it empty, when is it next being used etc. The behaviour of this man was very dubious and therefore, [staff member] to review CCTV to identify him. Email also sent to [senior staff].

Once is happenstance.  Twice is coincidence.  Three times...that, ladies and gentleman, is enemy action.  I'm feeling very confident about my security meeting...

Flat 19? Specifically? All three times, or a different flat each time?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Demolition Squid

This heat.

I haven't slept for more than 2-3 hours uninterrupted all week. I'm starting to feel like a frog in boiling water, only the sadist is fucking incompetent so they've had to jam a lid on the top which I keep slamming my skull into.

This is how supervillains are made.

Keep it up, sun, and I will find a way to END YOU  :argh!:
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Cain

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 02, 2015, 04:39:21 AM
Quote from: Cain on July 02, 2015, 02:42:55 AM

Flat 19? Specifically? All three times, or a different flat each time?

Only specific to this occasion, questions about flat 19.

However, in the light of the bizzarely specific (if different) questions on the previous weird night I mentioned, which was followed by an equally weird building invasion less than a week later, I'm...concerned. 

Cain

Quote from: Demolition Squid on July 02, 2015, 06:48:09 AM
This heat.

I haven't slept for more than 2-3 hours uninterrupted all week. I'm starting to feel like a frog in boiling water, only the sadist is fucking incompetent so they've had to jam a lid on the top which I keep slamming my skull into.

Could be worse.

My flat makes it so that it's 10-20 degrees hotter inside than outside, day or night.  It's clearly some kind of building error (possibly the boiler) but whatever it is, it means I've slept 10 hours over the past 4 nights.  I'm sweating just sitting down and typing this, and I have a fan on full power behind me.

rong

Quote from: Cain on July 02, 2015, 08:12:02 AM
This heat.

Could be worse.

My flat makes it so that it's 10-20 degrees hotter inside than outside, day or night.  It's clearly some kind of building error (possibly the boiler) but whatever it is, it means I've slept 10 hours over the past 4 nights.  I'm sweating just sitting down and typing this, and I have a fan on full power behind me.

Consider Gin
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Demolition Squid

Quote from: Cain on July 02, 2015, 08:12:02 AM
This heat.

Could be worse.

That is... awful. How have you not boiled?  :eek:
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Faust

Jesus Cain, if it's 10 degrees higher where you are how have you not mummified? In Ireland we don't really get summers and certainly not heatwaves, fucking hell this is overpowering.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

hooplala

Quote from: Cain on July 01, 2015, 11:31:22 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 01, 2015, 05:22:23 AM
Quote from: Cain on July 01, 2015, 03:34:06 AM
I wonder if sales of Hagakure are soaring in wake of season 2 of True Detective, much like season one prompted purchases of The King in Yellow?  It was pretty prominently displayed in episode one in Ani Bezzerides' home, alongside a less prominent copy of A Book of Five Rings and some what look like some Fairbairn and Sykes knife-fighting manuals.

Well tough luck poseurs, my samurai killer manuals are well over a decade old. My knifefighting manuals too, though I only keep digitized copies of those nowadays.

Who the hell is Ani Bezzerides?

Character in True Detective.  Likes knives, has a New Age hippie cult leader for a father and, works for the County Sherrif's office and spends most of her time staring into the middle distance while looking mildly perturbed

I must have an amazing attention span, I'm really enjoying this season and don't really find it boring. At least no moreso than last season. 

I think the problem (if there is one) is that Rachel McAdams and Colin Ferrill (sp?) don't have Woody Harrelson's charisma.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

Maybe boring is too harsh.  It's really slow, and it feels it.