News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

There is going to be Ugly

Started by Richter, December 17, 2010, 04:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh, and I'm not predicting rioting in the streets, or looting, personally. I'm predicting something that looks more like a rapid slide into the 3rd world. Things will continue functioning, and the infrastructure won't entirely shut down... it will just revert to a rudimentary and primitive state. There will be a mass exodus from the cities as people seek farmland to homestead on, and organized crime will skyrocket in the cities. Lots and lots of people will die, but mostly from preventable diseases and infections. The life expectancy will shorten dramatically as extremes of temperature and lack of medical care do in the weakest elderly. Infant and childhood mortality will increase, and so will the birth rate as contraceptives become unavailable.

Now is a really good time to learn some indispensable skills. Doctors and midwives will be pretty safe.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Nigel on December 17, 2010, 08:23:36 PM
The thing nobody wants to think about is that you can't be prepared enough. Everyone likes to imagine that their contingency plan, their exit strategy, will protect them, but really all you can do is prepare as well as you can (it's not enough) and hope you're one of the lucky ones.

I'd likely end up dead. I don't have a plan, won't eat fish (starvation may change that though) and while I consider myself to be fairly lucky, that luck's gotta run out at some point.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Blight on December 17, 2010, 08:32:07 PM
The thing nobody wants to think about is that you can't be prepared enough. Everyone likes to imagine that their contingency plan, their exit strategy, will protect them, but really all you can do is prepare as well as you can (it's not enough) and hope you're one of the lucky ones.

I'd likely end up dead. I don't have a plan, won't eat fish (starvation may change that though) and while I consider myself to be fairly lucky, that luck's gotta run out at some point.

Oh, starvation will change a LOT of things. :lulz: There's no such thing as a picky eater in a famine.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on December 17, 2010, 08:33:05 PM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on December 17, 2010, 08:32:07 PM

Oh, starvation will change a LOT of things. :lulz: There's no such thing as a picky eater in a famine.

I'm going to start cannabalism NOW, to beat the rush!  :banana:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

East Coast Hustle

My exit strategy is pretty solid.

LOOK AT ME! I'M ON A BOAT!

With a reverse-osmosis freshwater maker, a range of +/- 12000 miles, a crane, a winch, two inflatable boats (one of which is REALLY fast and perfect for raiding), and a full metalshop for fabricating repair parts.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: East Coast Hipster on December 17, 2010, 09:12:49 PM

My exit strategy is pretty solid.

LOOK AT ME! I'M ON A BOAT!

With a reverse-osmosis freshwater maker, a range of +/- 12000 miles, a crane, a winch, two inflatable boats (one of which is REALLY fast and perfect for raiding), and a full metalshop for fabricating repair parts.

Piracy/banditry is always a good fallback position.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Remington

The coast of BC is basically made up of 12.5 billion tiny islands. I'm thinking one of those could be a good medium-term solution.
Is it plugged in?

Epimetheus

What's going to happen with religion?
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Epimetheus on December 17, 2010, 10:00:34 PM

Same thing that always happens with religion when times get hard. 

It turns poisonous.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Epimetheus on December 17, 2010, 10:00:34 PM

Probably something like angry Leviticus God is what done it, with local laws reflecting the idea.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Adios

My exit strategy only give me the chance, filling the order is up to me. I do think it gives me a much better chance than if I were just sitting here watching Idol. My tools will play to my particular skill set giving me an edge. My insanity when it comes to protecting my family will come in handy as well.