News:

What about those weed gangsters that are mad about you giving speeches in Bumfuck, Maine?

Main Menu

Dear older, wiser generation.

Started by Eater of Clowns, October 22, 2009, 10:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eater of Clowns

We just can't bring ourselves to blame you any longer.  This is a confession.  It was us, after all, that ushered in the decrepit modern age.

When we were born, all soft skin and lumpy limps, our eyes were closed tight against the cold room, our wailing making our presence known to the surgeon whose delicate hands were still too gruff on fleshy, frantic features.  Passed about the loving arms of the attendees to our celebrated arrival words like "hope" and "future" were spoken in the light manner of people who truly believe in them.  Then you did us the greatest favor any mentor can give, you opened our eyes to everything.

There's a scene at the end of Apocalypse Now.  See it if you haven't.  Marlon Brando's profile is horizontal in the shot, his eyes terrified as he whispers "the horror...the horror..." maybe you know what I'm talking about.  He's not an old man expressing his shock at the true depths of misery.  It has nothing to do with Vietnam.  He's an infant, complete with clean shave and bald head, the look of a baby seeing something the first time.

If we could see it all, every detail so fine, the world itself at once, then we needn't waste time on mere pieces of the puzzle.  But I can remember how the flooding brightness burned our tiny pupils, how the filth seemed to cake itself instantly on new eyes.  I remember the wrinkles on the corners of the mouths of the ones who came before us, that piece of lint on their left shoulder, the smudge on their shoes, the spill where they stood, the hole in the floor across the room, the peeling wallpaper over crumbling drywall, the cracks in the ceiling.  I remember bloodstains on their hands, hastily and carelessly wiped clean so they need not explain where it's from.  Our tabula rasa filled with scratches across the board dug deep by panicking, desperate fingernails.  We did the only thing we could do.  We closed our eyes.  And we did not open them again.

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

The Good Reverend Roger

"Don't be so humble.  You aren't that Great."
- Alice Longstreet Roosevelt

No, seriously.  We did it, including raising you youngsters without proper skills in how to rock n roll.  We're older, but we aren't wiser.  If we were, you wouldn't be bitching.

For real.  We ploughed through our youth slamming cheap liquor and taking weird drugs, fucking anything that moved, and generally having a great time.  Then it was time to grow up, and we built all the things that have stunted the next generation (the internet, reality TV, etc), just as our parents did to us (TV, etc).

We thought to protect the next generation from all the "awful" things we did.  Or maybe we just used all the fun up.  One way or the other, we fucked you over.

Sorry about that.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."