News:

PD.com: The culmination of the 'Ted Stevens Plan'

Main Menu

CountryGASM

Started by Dalek, September 02, 2010, 08:56:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalek

This topic inspired me to declare CountryGASM and the country Discoria(still accepting name recomendations).
What we're going to need:

A website
Posters, pamphlets and other things to recruit citizens.
A flag

I still haven't thought of details, but that's where you come in - suggest anything that comes to mind and be ready to become a citizen of the first discordian country!

Nephew Twiddleton

A black flag with the Sacred Chao on it?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

President Television

A black flag with a black chaos star on it?
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

MMIX

Transparent flag. Cut off the bottom fly corner to give it five sides. Drown the planet in them til everyone needs to know what we are selling.
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Nephew Twiddleton

Just so I understand the goal of this GASM, it's basically to set up a virtual nation/micronation to foster a Discordian identity and to bring more people into Discordia. Am I correct?

President Television

We need a Day-Glo rainbow flag with flashing LED letters that say "WHAT FLAG?"
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Eater of Clowns

Center should be a head-shaped and sized mirror with a mustache drawn on it.  Upper left above the mirror a sacred chao.  This is on stripes, which are actually just dildoes, gold dildoes, stacked atop one another alternating tip to testicle.

DONE.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Cramulus

thoughts:

this is a cool idea. a while back I was researching micronations and encountered articles about a few eccentric people who have declared their house its own nation or something. What's interesting is that while you may not be officially recognized, it does give you a higher level of visibility.

If you set up your nation as a virtual nation that anybody can join no matter where they are, and you set up some kind of code that people resonate with, I bet you could get people to "join". (even though this doesn't really have any meaning since there is no physical territory -- it just becomes something for them to talk to their friends about)

take a look at this list, you might get some great ideas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_micronations

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Cramulus on September 02, 2010, 07:08:47 PM
SNIP
(even though this doesn't really have any meaning since there is no physical territory -- it just becomes something for them to talk to their friends about)
SNIP

for a country you have to have a physical territory, right?  but for a nation that isn't necessarily so, i believe....
if a nation of people is spread out, it is just a diaspora, right?

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Iptuous on September 02, 2010, 07:43:28 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on September 02, 2010, 07:08:47 PM
SNIP
(even though this doesn't really have any meaning since there is no physical territory -- it just becomes something for them to talk to their friends about)
SNIP

for a country you have to have a physical territory, right?  but for a nation that isn't necessarily so, i believe....
if a nation of people is spread out, it is just a diaspora, right?

TEchnically, yes, but functionally the two words are really interchangeable.

Nephew Twiddleton

Interesting side note- Nova Roma, which is an online micronation, purchased land and declared it Nova Roma's physical location.

Elder Iptuous

DokBlight,
the native american nations...
whataboutthat?

Elder Iptuous

also,
any of the micronations stop paying taxes?
that's the real kicker, right?  if'n you're still paying fealty, then it's just a game...

also, i was thinking about Suu and her SCA stuff yesterday and was wondering whether, if they or some group like them were to become independent and stop paying taxes, would the US simply look the other way because it would be too embarrassing to have what would amount to a small scale war or insurrection with a bunch of NUUUURDS?
might there be a way to capitalize on pariah-ness as a weapon in this manner?

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Iptuous on September 02, 2010, 07:47:44 PM
DokBlight,
whataboutthat?

I would consider them to be semi-autonomous countries. As I understand it, that is how the US treats them.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Doktor Blight on September 02, 2010, 07:55:21 PM
Quote from: Iptuous on September 02, 2010, 07:47:44 PM
DokBlight,
whataboutthat?

I would consider them to be semi-autonomous countries. As I understand it, that is how the US treats them.

I consider them dangerous competitors.
Molon Lube