News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

The Fucking Secret

Started by navkat, February 06, 2011, 08:58:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gray Jester

Quote from: Faust on February 11, 2011, 01:36:04 PM
Nah, the random number thing is slightly different. There is no true random number generator, they all approach predictability at a certain point.

I raise you any random number generator based on radioactive decay.  Impossible to predict (just possible to model in the macro-scale), and very easy to measure.
I am a surrealist.  It makes me feel more knightly.

Faust

Quote from: Gray Jester on February 11, 2011, 01:43:19 PM
Quote from: Faust on February 11, 2011, 01:36:04 PM
Nah, the random number thing is slightly different. There is no true random number generator, they all approach predictability at a certain point.

I raise you any random number generator based on radioactive decay.  Impossible to predict (just possible to model in the macro-scale), and very easy to measure.
Impossible to measure then, so its an impossible random number generator.
They thought they had it last year, when they seeded the generator with white noise from loads of different sensors around the world, but on a long enough time frame it becomes periodic, and thus predictable.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Ob_Portu

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ciencia/ciencia_psycho03.htm

sooo yar saying the results resulted from predictableness...right?

well you can to effect chance events, i do it all the time crossing the street and making gaps in cars appear without looking..

yep
I'm not crazy, I'm perturbed.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Ob_Portu on February 11, 2011, 04:37:53 PM
http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ciencia/ciencia_psycho03.htm

sooo yar saying the results resulted from predictableness...right?

well you can to effect chance events, i do it all the time crossing the street and making gaps in cars appear without looking..

yep

Walking in the path of a car with an alert driver is not microkinesis. It's just showing that the drivers in your area have good reaction time and that you're a lucky pedestrian.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Ob_Portu

oh! I've been stabbed with an O pinion! OH!

aaarhg

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ob_Portu on February 11, 2011, 04:59:17 PM

aaarhg

Here's another one:  You're an idiot.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Ob_Portu on February 11, 2011, 04:59:17 PM

aaarhg

I haven't discounted the rest of your post because at the moment I don't have time to read the link. I'm just saying that causing gaps in traffic shouldn't count because there is another human controlling each car. At that point, it's not psychokinesis, it's telepathy, which is a different subject that will also require a different link.

And really, if you stop to think about it, if someone blindly walks out in front of your car, what are you going to do? Stop or run them over? If you stop, or even slow down, is it really the pedestrian who did it? You could have run him over if you chose to. But that's illegal and immoral and people don't like doing that to other people. But do inform us when you end up in the hospital someday, and we'll consider that a fluke.

Ob_Portu

Well I compare the gaps as im crossing to see if my intention has any effect.

just my experience that it works, when done with the expectation/intention that it does..

*shrugs*

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ob_Portu on February 11, 2011, 05:08:29 PM

just my experience that it works, when done with the expectation/intention that it does..

*shrugs*

Confirmation bias FTFL.

Ob, you and people like you are the reason humanity is sinking back into superstition.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Ob_Portu on February 11, 2011, 05:08:29 PM

*shrugs*

So what you're saying is that you wait to see if it's safe to cross the next lane in traffic?

Just trying to clarify what you mean here.

BadBeast

Once you figure out what the secret is, you have to keep it to yourself, or it becomes a confidence. Secrets, by their nature, can never be told. Anyone who says different is a trickster, a liar, or very much mistaken.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Ob_Portu

No, I just cross. Sometimes with the intention of there being a gap, sometimes without.

Like he said, they'll most likely stop if i'm unsuccessful.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ob_Portu on February 11, 2011, 05:15:18 PM
No, I just cross. Sometimes with the intention of there being a gap, sometimes without.

Like he said, they'll most likely stop if i'm unsuccessful.

This is the stupidest thing said on PD so far this decade.

Congratulations, man.

For everyone else:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Power_(book)

LMNO

Back up a second.

I just realized you said that you simply walk into traffic, regardless of the lights, signals, traffic patterns, or crosswalks.

I fucking hate people like you.  You make people's lives quantifiably worse with you narcissistic oblivious solipsism.

Fuck you.

Ob_Portu

yeah..totally and while we are at it, why go to the moon either?

its cold up there!