Proud member of the Vin Diesel Friendship Brigade

Main Menu

NO POTENTIAL PROBLEMS HERE

Started by Junkenstein, November 07, 2013, 04:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkenstein

Srsly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-24823846

QuoteSaudi Arabia has invested in Pakistani nuclear weapons projects, and believes it could obtain atomic bombs at will, a variety of sources have told BBC Newsnight.

While the kingdom's quest has often been set in the context of countering Iran's atomic programme, it is now possible that the Saudis might be able to deploy such devices more quickly than the Islamic republic.

Earlier this year, a senior Nato decision maker told me that he had seen intelligence reporting that nuclear weapons made in Pakistan on behalf of Saudi Arabia are now sitting ready for delivery.

Last month Amos Yadlin, a former head of Israeli military intelligence, told a conference in Sweden that if Iran got the bomb, "the Saudis will not wait one month. They already paid for the bomb, they will go to Pakistan and bring what they need to bring."

QuoteNewsnight contacted both the Pakistani and Saudi governments. The Pakistan Foreign Ministry has described our story as "speculative, mischievous and baseless".

It adds: "Pakistan is a responsible nuclear weapon state with robust command and control structures and comprehensive export controls."

The Saudi embassy in London has also issued a statement pointing out that the Kingdom is a signatory to the Non-Proliferation Treaty and has worked for a nuclear free Middle East.

But it also points out that the UN's "failure to make the Middle East a nuclear free zone is one of the reasons the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia rejected the offer of a seat on the UN Security Council".

It says the Saudi Foreign Minister has stressed that this lack of international action "has put the region under the threat of a time bomb that cannot easily be defused by manoeuvring around it".

The article is rather good with general background to the region.

What this seems to be though, is confirmation that Saudi Arabia may not be a nuclear power, but they can be at any time they so choose.

Peace in the middle east? Fucking terrible for profits and this will keep money moving around nicely.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

When confronted with a possible nuclear power struggle between two religiously influenced militaristic states with a disregard for humanitarian norms and international law, what we really need is a third religiously influenced militaristic state with a disregard for humanitarian norms and international law to be added to the mix.

Also, yes.  Saudi involvement in Pakistani nuclear program is a well known secret.  Pakistan has been producing more nuclear warheads over the past couple of years, with no obvious security reasons as to why.  Possibly preparing to supply Riyadh with warheads?  That would be the smart guess.  Nukes would also improve Saudi bargaining position globally, now that it is set to move away from the USA. 

Junkenstein

I can't stop laughing.

While everyone is shitting themselves about Iran maybe being able to get a nuke, the Saudis just order a bunch.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

It's not like Saudi terrorism has ever affected Western civilians, after all.

LMNO

Remington

Do the Pakistanis have a price sheet made up, or is this a made-to-order type deal?
Is it plugged in?

Junkenstein

Custom terror attack in country of your choice for every 5 purchased.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That seems like a um, bad move really.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Seriously dumb question here.

In a potentially unstable region, is there ever a possibility, even in the slightest sense, where adding an additional instability ends up helping the region simmer down as a whole?

Or is it much as it appears: if Saudi Arabia goes through with it, humanity dies?

Junkenstein

I would guess by "settle down" you mean "big smoking crater"

In which case, yes. I expect things to settle down within my lifetime. The question is more about what causes it.

Cain's probably got a better answer, but my gut feeling would be no. With Israel, India, Pakistan and now SA practically confirmed nuclear capable, sooner or later someone's not going to blink. Oh and Iran. Forgot about Iran. That may be the crux in later years.

There's also the side where instabilities make it easier to control populations. Many countries in the middle east are essentially minority dictatorships. Power in the hands of a small cabal of idiots is a dangerous thing. Power in the hands of a small cabal of smart people is fucking terrifying.

Then there's how much power will shift around when/if the USA withdraws forces from the region. When that starts it's going to be like some kind of religious holiday for every guru with a dozen armed followers.