News:

I hope she gets diverticulitis and all her poop kills her.

Main Menu

Seamstress Speak

Started by Suu, February 02, 2009, 07:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

Alright...admit it. You all are just as fucking lazy as I am when it comes to dots and notches too, aren't you? AREN'T YOU?!

I swear, if this vest didn't have to be so tailored, I wouldn't care. But noooo, it has darts and welts and shit I gotta line up. At least the lining is the same cut as the shell, I find that Simplicity (gag) is better about that than McCall's at least. Ugh, commercial patterns...

However, since the fabric is so thick, I'm cheating and not using interfacing.  :mrgreen:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Triple Zero

wow. I didn't understand a word of that.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Suu

Dots: Self explanatory as to what they are. Lol. You put a dot on the fabric where it will meet another piece of fabric with corresponding dots. Though I tend to draw little x's. Same diff though.

Notch: See those random triangular points on the fabric in the pic about? That's a notch. You use that to line up a side seam correctly.

Dart: One pleat in the fabric used to give the garment shape.

Welt: A pocket flap with no pocket.

Lining: Self explanatory, the satiny (usually) fabric inside of a garment.

Shell: The outer fabric of a garment.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Raphaella

Yeah I never really bothered with those notches and things before, but now I do and they are a bitch!! The darts though I always mark them with tracing paper because I assume they need to be where the pattern says they go. I used tailor tacks a few times but I find that the tracing paper works better.
And interfacing  :x :x I HATES it. Shit's expensive, so in all my muslin constructions I never use it. If I it really needs extra weight I just sew some white scrap fabric to it like sew on interfacing.
Welt pockets???!! post plenty of pics please, I have not done one of those in a long time. I may just make one along with you so we can bitch about it together.
So is this the commission we are looking at here?
The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and terrible OZ

Suu

This is one that I'm doing now. It's a Dark Knight Joker vest for a friend I'm seeing in NYC for ComicCon this weekend. Green twill suiting and blue satin backing. I'll post completed pics in the Thread-Jack.

Yeah, I normally don't bother with notches at all, dots for darts though, I guess I kinda gotta.  :argh!:

Suu

Oh Goddamnit, here's another waste of time: Staystitching.

Raphaella

Yep but I'd staystitch all day rather than ease stitch anything.
The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and terrible OZ

Suu

Lol. Troof. Staystitching is just a run, easestitch is a run, a pull, a yank, a swear, pin, and stitch again.  :argh!:

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I never use the notches and dots... hell, I rarely use the patterns for anything beyond a "Oh, they shaped their pieces like that, eh?". Thus far, things have continued to come together just fine.

Also, agreed on the ease stitch and I'll throw gathering in there for a bonus.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Suu

Depends on the gathering, imo. I typically turn them into knife pleats.

Sir Squid Diddimus

i don't have any of that nifty colored wax paper and the wheel with teeth so i mark all my dots n darts n pleats with damn pins. (apparently you can use soap and other things but i'm also very lazy)

notches i do love however. i hate cutting them out, but even when i make my own patterns i'll put them in so shit will line up.
it's a pain initially but it pays off in the end

Jenne

SINGLE vs. DOUBLE NOTCHES!  Meeeeeeh.  And those damned pinholes/dots.  My mom taught me a trick where you put the head of the pin through, pull off the tissue pattern, and then put the rest of the pin in as you would normally.  They still don't line up all that well. :|

And can I just say:  fuck the zipper foot?  (makes me feel better to say that)

Raphaella

I don't really know what's up with the double notch thing. When I cut them I just cut the double ones bigger than the others.
I always forget to use my zipper foot.  :oops:

Suu

I love my zipper foot. I can't live without it. Or my buttonhole function.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

needle goes whare?  :?

im taking a beginning sewing class next week :D