News:

If you can't abuse it, it's not power.

Main Menu

PD, plz advise. Satire device broken

Started by Cain, February 05, 2015, 08:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reginald Ret

I would have preferred to see that sign reversed in response to the complaint.
This is just not how a cheeky franchise should respond.
As a Self identified Cheek I take offence at this.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Reginald Ret

Response sent.

QuoteGood Day Canadian Brewhouse,

Today I read that you have removed your cheeky washroom signs because one person felt offended.
source: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/saskatoon/washroom+sign+mocks+serious+issues+student+says/10789099/story.html

It is a boring response and it takes too serious the issues of humour and cheeky jokes. This doesn't belong in a restaurant that identifies as cheeky.

The way this was handled was a very typical cowardly, politically correct response.

As a self-identified Cheek I take offense at the way this is handled. Not only has no one else complained, ours is a world full of jokers and tricksters. People have to have a sense of humour.

However, I do agree that the manager of the Saskatoon location handled this badly.
One example of a better alternative: Replace the signs with the gender roles reversed, have the woman peeking over the edge.

Best regards,

Reginald

Please join me at http://thecanadianbrewhouse.com/contact/
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Pæs

Which part is causing satire detector to fritz out?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on February 05, 2015, 08:37:43 PM
http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/saskatoon/washroom+sign+mocks+serious+issues+student+says/10789099/story.html

Not sure if srs or not.  Really.

It's serious. I, too, had to do a doubletake.

I can't believe a restaurant chain ever thought that was a good idea. :horrormirth: Oh, Canada!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

roy howard

sounds like the manager should be pranked.he was kind of a jerk.as for the rest...well...hail eris.

Bruno

Weird. There was a girl at work who had a t-shirt with this design on it.

Formerly something else...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Maybe they should put this one in the men's room.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Quote from: Pæs on February 06, 2015, 12:12:45 AM

All of it.  The idea.  The response.  The fact that someone is reporting on it.

Pæs

Quote from: Cain on February 06, 2015, 07:33:34 AM

Gotcha!

Yeah, ridiculousness everywhere.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on February 06, 2015, 07:33:34 AM

Wellll

Maybe part of that has to do with the fact that over here, at least in the US, sexual assault and/or peeping in divided-stall restrooms is really common, which makes women tend to feel not so safe in bathrooms. Which makes the graphic not all that amusing for about half of us.

Pæs

The sign was fucking horrible. The 'woah, some people just don't like funny things' compounding stupidity.

The Johnny

I don't know what to think, on one hand it's a bad taste sign... on the other, it's getting worked up over a small symbolic thing when there are so many more relevant things to be outraged over, and it's the same tendency of this 5 years of so, getting outraged over symbolic things, while doing nothing and ignoring the major problems.

The only thing that barely made me think about it twice is that its phrased as to seem that every single restaurant in the chain has the same sign, rather than it being an isolated instance, which makes it an institutional decision rather than an individual's bad taste.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Pæs

It's probably a small symbolic thing for me if I'm at the restaurant, because it's not a sign saying "Lol, you personally being assaulted or exploited in the restroom is something that very well could happen", but in the face of all of the really big problems you acknowledge need to be addressed, it would probably be really nice to use a public toilet without being  explicitly reminded of that threat, I imagine.

Demolition Squid

The existence of big, terrible things does not justify the existence of small, terrible things.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho