News:

PD.com: We have 73 Virgins!

Main Menu

The Dating Wars

Started by Pæs, February 06, 2015, 09:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pæs

I stroll into the club, projecting an air of confidence and machismo. I know I'm projecting an air of these things because that's what my pheromone augmentations are configured to do and at the bottom left corner of my heads-up display are readings on range and efficacy.

I slow momentarily as I enter, evaluating my prospects for scoring based on competitor to eligible partner ratio. The pause is also an opportunity to calculate escape routes and establish whether any of the existing occupants pose a threat. I catch the eye of a brunette near the bar, not too tall, probably about a 4 in my estimate. I'm not far off. My HUD suggests nearly a 5 because of the modifier to social value afforded to her by some simple analytics on her SocioNet profile, ranking especially highly in genetics on the grounds that her mother is still pretty fit.

She inhales deeply, locking eyes with mine. I keep my face steady, knowing that she's tracking microexpressions and using olfactory enhancement to detect any signs of malintent or aggression.

The screen behind the bar lights up red, casting a menacing glow across her face as an advertisement from the AXE Corporation for mods maybe a version or two ahead of mine and the famous line. "Tomahawk. Bitches don't know about it." In a simpler time, that was true. Before dating became an arms race.

Eater of Clowns

That's horrifying. It's like Neal Stephenson meets Tinder.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

LMNO

I would absolutely read more of that.

Please.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Johnny

You tink you are doing satire and exaggeration but theres an animated series sponsored by Axe, you see...

I need to find it though, didnt bother to bookmark.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Johnny

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Wizard Joseph

Just the marketing as direct aspects of how you get laid alone is a neat part of this. Please with the more! Plz?
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Chelagoras The Boulder

"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Pæs

I catch the flicker of a frown cross my face before I school it away. She must have caught it. I should have known better but I need more data and it's taking longer than I expected.

As I study her face for acknowledgement of my error, the information starts scrolling in, mocking my impatience. Reviews and star ratings, recommendations of similar partners. I begin to approach, skimming the content of the reviews as I cross the room. I freeze, sensing a similar increase in tension among others sharing the room.

They've got the same notification I do. An anomalously favourable partner-competitor ratio coupled with fairly dramatic promiscuity estimates at a nearby venue. It's a sensitive situation to navigate, as even those not subscribed to the somewhat exclusive feeds I (and evidently some others) have access to can sense that something is happening. I need to bail on this place and figure out my approach to the other without disclosing too much information through my behaviour.

</teaser because I had this sitting in open browser tab unfinished and am closing it down before travelling>

The Wizard Joseph

I very much like how you have the character multitasking so hard and playing the 'do they know I know' game. Rather than give up pretending and being who you are these seem to have bought into a prosthetic series of systems and must suppress themselves even harder to properly use it. This is great!
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Aucoq

"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.