News:

News:  0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765 10946 17711 28657, motherfuckers.

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: I see you've come to PD. I too like to live dangerously

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, April 28, 2014, 08:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on May 18, 2014, 11:20:05 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 18, 2014, 11:13:05 PM
You're joking, right?

I am too brainsmashed on pills to tell, and it's not fair to mock the afflicted stoned.

http://www.stereogum.com/1151562/steve-albini-amanda-palmer-is-an-idiot/franchises/wheres-the-beef/

Is it just me, or is this a really weird leap of logic?

QuotePalmer didn't respond directly to Albini, but she did offer this in reaction to the general criticism (via NYT): "To me it seems absurd. If my fans are happy and my audience is happy and the musicians on stage are happy, where's the problem?"

The problem, as I see it, is that I have LINED THE POCKETS of Neil Gaiman for TWO DECADES now. And since I'm not getting a refund on American Gods anytime soon (or the hour I spent reading its first few chapters before recognizing that it really wasn't getting any better), I wouldn't mind seeing some of that money going back into the pockets of professional-ish horn and string players for whom hugs don't put formula in baby's bottle. (Just ask the Bunk Antoine Batiste.)

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2012/10/amanda-palmers-kickstarter-scandal.html
[/quote]

He's supported her husband financially by buying his books, so her husband should be financing her band? Is that the logic he's using?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

To be clear, I'm not supporting that logic, I was just providing information as to what I was referring to.

Salty

I dunno that all that has anything to do with the fact that music has helped me to feel better than I have in months.

Not saying it should.

I supposr I'm saying I am filled with beer and bicycling and that woman's voice and

:regret:
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

The Good Reverend Roger

So I was out BBQing with my dad over at his place, and another fucking hornet got me.  It starts floating around, so I'm all like "I'll just ignore him and he'll go away".  Except that what the little shit DID was to fly right into my face and sting me twice on the right eyebrow.  Now I look like Rocky at the end of the 4th movie.;

Time for more revenge on the hornet/wasp world.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

minuspace

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 19, 2014, 03:07:38 AM
So I was out BBQing with my dad over at his place, and another fucking hornet got me.  It starts floating around, so I'm all like "I'll just ignore him and he'll go away".  Except that what the little shit DID was to fly right into my face and sting me twice on the right eyebrow.  Now I look like Rocky at the end of the 4th movie.;

They feel you are being supercilious and try to make a point?
I bet  there's a quicker solution, to permanently solve their feelings.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LuciferX on May 19, 2014, 03:48:33 AM

They feel you are being supercilious and try to make a point?
I bet  there's a quicker solution, to permanently solve their feelings.

I don't get it.

I'm just gonna go find the nest and do the backyard Dachau thing on it.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

minuspace

Yea, it was the eyebrow thing that struck me like they were trying to leave a message.  Not to be outdone, I was just brainstorming some degenerate possibilities :lulz:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LuciferX on May 19, 2014, 03:53:05 AM
Yea, it was the eyebrow thing that struck me like they were trying to leave a message.  Not to be outdone, I was just brainstorming some degenerate possibilities :lulz:

Any "message" they were trying to send was RECEIVED when that one flew up my shorts a year or two ago.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on May 19, 2014, 12:09:56 AM
To be clear, I'm not supporting that logic, I was just providing information as to what I was referring to.

It's hard to be sympathetic to Steve Albini's take on Amanda Palmer when he comes across as a sexist douche.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

They're after you.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm trying to do the last miserable little bit of studying before I drug myself to a wheezing congested sleep, and my household has apparently decided that because it's after 9pm it's time to gather in the kitchen and talk at the top of their lungs.

minuspace

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 19, 2014, 04:16:08 AM

Any "message" they were trying to send was RECEIVED when that one flew up my shorts a year or two ago.
Plan B:  in Biological warfare, bee-friend the enemy of your opponent

Quote.. they say, more than 500 bees engulf each hornet in a ball and raise their body temperatures to levels so high that the hornet dies in about 20 minutes. Some defenders die in the struggle against an enemy that is four times the length and 20 times larger than an individual bee. But their bodies are pushed out of the ball and they are replaced by others as the bees turn up the heat of their attack.

With the hornet entrapped, the bees vibrate and quickly raise the temperature of the ball to 116 degrees Fahrenheit, above the laboratory-measured lethal temperature range for the hornet of 111 to 114.8 degrees, the report said. Tests show that the bees, which display unagitated body temperatures of 95 degrees or less, can survive heat of up to 122 degrees.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LuciferX on May 19, 2014, 05:02:51 AM

Quote.. they say, more than 500 bees engulf each hornet in a ball and raise their body temperatures to levels so high that the hornet dies in about 20 minutes. Some defenders die in the struggle against an enemy that is four times the length and 20 times larger than an individual bee. But their bodies are pushed out of the ball and they are replaced by others as the bees turn up the heat of their attack.

With the hornet entrapped, the bees vibrate and quickly raise the temperature of the ball to 116 degrees Fahrenheit, above the laboratory-measured lethal temperature range for the hornet of 111 to 114.8 degrees, the report said. Tests show that the bees, which display unagitated body temperatures of 95 degrees or less, can survive heat of up to 122 degrees.

Native Japanese bees know how to do that, not American ones, and that's only when a scout comes to the hive. Also I'm not sure Roger said it was an east Asian waspzilla. Arizona has its own native arthropods of doom.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

minuspace

Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on May 19, 2014, 05:48:15 AM
Quote from: LuciferX on May 19, 2014, 05:02:51 AM

Native Japanese bees know how to do that, not American ones, and that's only when a scout comes to the hive. Also I'm not sure Roger said it was an east Asian waspzilla. Arizona has its own native arthropods of doom.

Arg.  I knew that Shinto bees were particularly efficient against the Goliath's, and some domestic bees also knew the tactic.  Arizona, however, now that complicates things :eek:

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 19, 2014, 04:20:33 AM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on May 19, 2014, 12:09:56 AM

It's hard to be sympathetic to Steve Albini's take on Amanda Palmer when he comes across as a sexist douche.

Quite a bit of the Amanda Palmer hate seems to me to be " look, a successful woman! Let's knock her down a peg or three!"
Not saying she hasn't fucked up ( the musician thing was unfortunate, and the whole boston bomber poem was horrid) but Christ, some people are looking real hard for reasons to hate on her.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]