News:

PD.com: children are filled with joy, adults are filled with dread and local government is filled with stupid

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: It's actually about ethics in fictional bars

Started by EK WAFFLR, August 10, 2015, 03:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 30, 2015, 11:38:52 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 30, 2015, 11:37:31 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 30, 2015, 11:32:59 PM
I made a ridiculous amount of money today.

Which is good, because medical bills.  Also, TGRR dental surgery starting tomorrow.  I may not be in my usual pleasant good mood for the next week or so.

Oh, my... good luck with the dental surgery, I hate that stuff! But it usually makes everything better.

Yeah, my front tooth cracked vertically.  Since it's already had a root canal, there's no fixing it.  So out it comes, then they drill a hole in my skull, sink an anchor, and put a false tooth on the anchor.

Airports are gonna be HILARIOUS now.

GOOD TIMES!  :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 30, 2015, 10:46:46 PM
Quote from: Cain on September 30, 2015, 12:42:39 PM
OK, computer appears to be finally upgraded.  Well, almost.  Have to uninstall and reinstall all the drivers.  Then update certain graphics tweaks I've previously been using.

But then, it should all be good.

You are like the protagonist in a series of horror movies in which your computer is Freddy Krueger. You know this, right?

I prefer to think of it as Frankenstein's monster, only stitched together not with crappy old computers I found in a dump, but the latest Mk IV Cyber Commando parts ordered from Taiwan.

Also, is working.  Could do with upgrading the RAM, but might leave that for another month. 

LMNO

Which is good, because medical bills.  Also, TGRR dental surgery starting tomorrow.  I may not be in my usual pleasant good mood for the next week or so.

Oh, my... good luck with the dental surgery, I hate that stuff! But it usually makes everything better.

Yeah, my front tooth cracked vertically.  Since it's already had a root canal, there's no fixing it.  So out it comes, then they drill a hole in my skull, sink an anchor, and put a false tooth on the anchor.

You're gonna put a platinum tooth in, right?

Meunster

Quote from: Cain on September 30, 2015, 10:15:13 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on September 30, 2015, 09:49:49 PM
I'm gonna regret this, but what is a clock truther?

People obsessed with whether Ahmed Mohammed actually "invented" a clock or merely rehoused a ready made clock/clock components in a new unit.

May also refer to general conspiracy theories that he did it for "free stuff" or "attention" or "his dad made him do it because crazy Muslims, amirite?"  Not kept up to date on that aspect of it.

What's everyones stance on the clock shit?
You full sjw or full pol?
I just think it's a giant overreaction on both parts, he shouldn't of been arrested even though it looks a lot like a bomb, yet he shouldn't be getting money for making  a clock at 14 either.
Poe's law ;)

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on October 01, 2015, 12:24:30 AM

Nope.  Just regular old ceramic.  I'm a utilitarian.  I may go with stainless steel.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 01, 2015, 12:31:13 AM

Nope.  Just regular old ceramic.  I'm a utilitarian.  I may go with stainless steel.

If that ever happens to me I want to get a pH sensitive tooth so that my mouth doubles as a literal litmus test.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Richter

I can see chrome steel alloys becoming a sort of silver to scavengers of the wreckage we leave behind.  Mithril and shit, strange, holy, and less tarnishable that anything else they dig up. 
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Trivial

Quote from: Cain on September 30, 2015, 09:32:34 PM
Quote from: Trivial Notgeil on September 30, 2015, 09:28:13 PM
Arg cube mate is a clock truther.

Is this the same cube mate who believes like 50,000 other, mutually contradictory, conspiracies?

Yes.  Just tiring.  Going to put a sign on a stick with NO written on it to wave at him when he starts going off.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Trivial

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 01, 2015, 12:52:45 AM

If that ever happens to me I want to get a pH sensitive tooth so that my mouth doubles as a literal litmus test.

I didn't know I needed this until now.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Trivial Notgeil on October 01, 2015, 01:00:31 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 01, 2015, 12:52:45 AM

I didn't know I needed this until now.

:thanks:

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Meunster on October 01, 2015, 12:28:01 AM

People obsessed with whether Ahmed Mohammed actually "invented" a clock or merely rehoused a ready made clock/clock components in a new unit.

May also refer to general conspiracy theories that he did it for "free stuff" or "attention" or "his dad made him do it because crazy Muslims, amirite?"  Not kept up to date on that aspect of it.

I just think it's a giant overreaction on both parts, he shouldn't of been arrested even though it looks a lot like a bomb, yet he shouldn't be getting money for making  a clock at 14 either.

Cain was the unfortunate host of a multi-day Facebook thread in which this subject was discussed at hideous length. The "truther" side was mostly being fought for by an imbecile who, despite probably having brain damage, I found myself tragically unable to muster sympathy for. It was ugly.

The short of it is:

(a) Ascribing adult motivations to a 14-year-old is fucking idiotic.
(b) There is absolutely nothing substantive to indicate that he was doing this for attention, or money.
(c) The authority figures involved very obviously knew they weren't dealing with a bomb threat, because any school would evacuate in the event of even a slightly credible bomb threat.
(d) EVEN IF he totally did throw together a hack project for the purposes of raising hell and garnering attention, then he did a great job and we should be supporting him for trolling the authorities. And if he DOES somehow get money from this fiasco, then J.R. "Bob" Dobbs would be proud and we should follow his example. There is no way to look at this that makes Ahmed come out looking bad to me.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on October 01, 2015, 01:07:21 AM

Cain was the unfortunate host of a multi-day Facebook thread in which this subject was discussed at hideous length. The "truther" side was mostly being fought for by an imbecile who, despite probably having brain damage, I found myself tragically unable to muster sympathy for. It was ugly.

The short of it is:

(a) Ascribing adult motivations to a 14-year-old is fucking idiotic.
(b) There is absolutely nothing substantive to indicate that he was doing this for attention, or money.
(c) The authority figures involved very obviously knew they weren't dealing with a bomb threat, because any school would evacuate in the event of even a slightly credible bomb threat.
(d) EVEN IF he totally did throw together a hack project for the purposes of raising hell and garnering attention, then he did a great job and we should be supporting him for trolling the authorities. And if he DOES somehow get money from this fiasco, then J.R. "Bob" Dobbs would be proud and we should follow his example. There is no way to look at this that makes Ahmed come out looking bad to me.

This

Also, bringing a homemade electronic thing to school is absolutely typical kid behavior, ESPECIALLY for geeks on the robotics team, and the response was absolutely not a typical response.

Eater of Clowns

...smh
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Eater of Clowns

YOUR GRIN IS GOING TO BE PART CYBORG!?

:cainftw:
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.