News:

PD.com: You're safer in New Bedford.

Main Menu

Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

Started by Cain, June 21, 2010, 12:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trix

Quote from: Cain on December 21, 2012, 06:10:55 PM
I wondered something very similar, Trix.

Though this was before we knew of Monroe, so I had suspected that it had been Tom Riddle who had played his role.  The aim being a Monroe ruling Britain through the Mark of Light, as mentioned in the plot.

Also, the terrorist Voldemort seems too stupid for Quirrell.  He used force and brutality which made people fear him, but not the hallmark cunning or skill that Quirrell is noted for.

The new information about the Dark Mark is very interesting, also.

I think, that the obvious fact that the general description of Voldemort as a lot less intelligent than Quirrell is the part we are supposed to catch, means that the author wants us to realize that Voldy was just a role being played.  Which could imply something less obvious going on.  But if my suspicions are correct, I'd further guess that Quirrell is setting up Harry as the new People's Hero (Monroe mk 2), with the intent of body-snatching him whenever he can figure out how to use Magic on him.

But I put a very low level of confidence on that last part, it's an all out guess and doesn't feel quite right.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

LMNO

I don't know if anyone else has been keeping up with this, but sweet merciful fuck, shit just got real.

Junkenstein

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 02, 2013, 02:25:11 PM
I don't know if anyone else has been keeping up with this, but sweet merciful fuck, shit just got real.

Understament. Will say more when I'm sure I'm not spoiling anything for anyone, but yeah. Good twist.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

LMNO

Apparently, one more chapter by the end of the week, and then another long hiatus.

LMNO

Even though you have to wait months for an update, I like how he's posting an entire arc all at once.

And this one has a LOT of stuff to chew on. Like the fault analysis.

LMNO

Another chapter. Wow.

Is anyone reading this, or has Hirly taken over LC?

Cain

Havent read yet, am going to try and catch up tonight.

Junkenstein

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Oh my god.

Oh. My. God.

OH. MY. GOD.

Zombie Quirrell eats chicken legs.  This changes everything.

LMNO

Cain

So, I suppose the most fruitful area of speculation would be the apparent change in attitude by Quirrell between the end of Time Pressure and the start of Roles.  The writing doesn't make it entirely clear if the recall of the Prophecy at the end of Time Pressure is being done by Quirrell, and that is what stops his train of thought.  That would be my primary assumption, but did anyone else come to that conclusion/or other conclusions.

Lord Cataplanga

Quote from: Cain on July 12, 2013, 08:13:37 PM
So, I suppose the most fruitful area of speculation would be the apparent change in attitude by Quirrell between the end of Time Pressure and the start of Roles.  The writing doesn't make it entirely clear if the recall of the Prophecy at the end of Time Pressure is being done by Quirrell, and that is what stops his train of thought.  That would be my primary assumption, but did anyone else come to that conclusion/or other conclusions.

It wasn't a recall. Harry made a choice, or some kind of resolution, that changed Fate, and the Divinations teacher was with Quirrell at that time, bacause McGonnagal is an idiot.

The Divinations teacher then made a new prophecy right there and then, and Quirrel understandably freaked out.

LMNO

Ok, that makes more sense. This sort of reaches back to the Patronus episode, and the elimination of death. What happened to ---- would certainly send him down that road.

LMNO

This is great:

Quote"There is no war here," said a soft voice emanating from within the emptiness. "No conflict and battle, no politics and betrayal, no death and no life. That is all for the folly of men. The stars are above such foolishness, untouched by it. Here there is peace, and silence eternal. So I once thought."

Harry turned to look at where the voice originated, and saw only stars.

"So you once thought?" Harry said, when no other words seemed to be forthcoming.

"There is nothing above the folly of men," whispered the voice from the emptiness. "There is nothing beyond the destructive powers of sufficiently intelligent idiocy, not even the stars themselves. I went to a great deal of trouble to make a certain golden plaque last forever. I would not like to see it destroyed by human folly."

Lord Cataplanga

Quote from: a prophecy
born to those who have thrice defied him...

Quote from: old prophecy
Three shall be Peverell's sons and three their devices by which Death shall be defeated.

The Peverell brothers defied Death three times (they made three Hallows), and Harry was "born from" them (he is a descendant).
Could be a total pattern matching error, of course.