Newsflash: Fox News viewers remain unaware that Fox News makes you unaware.

Started by trix, November 22, 2011, 05:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trix

A study has found that fox news viewers are less informed than people who watch no news at all.

Fox News viewers are less informed than people who don't watch any news, according to a new poll from Fairleigh Dickinson University.

The poll surveyed New Jersey residents about the uprisings in Egypt and the Middle East, and where they get their news sources. The study, which controlled for demographic factors like education and partisanship, found that "people who watch Fox News are 18-points less likely to know that Egyptians overthrew their government" and "6-points less likely to know that Syrians have not yet overthrown their government" compared to those who watch no news.

In further news, Fox News viewers remain uninformed about this study, so nothing changes.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Actually, it would be awesome if Fox aired this. The spin would be worth the aneurysm.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

President Television

THIS JUST IN: LOYAL AMURRICANS LESS SUSCEPTIBLE TO LIBRUL ELITE PROPAGANDA
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Precious Moments Zalgo

To be fair, the questions in the poll centered around events in smudgy countries, and Real Americans™ don't care about that.  I bet Fox News viewers know more details about Solyndra than people who watch other networks.

There was another poll like this, like maybe 5 or so years ago, that showed that Fox News viewers were more likely than others to believe that WMD's had been found in Iraq, and that Saddam Hussein had something to do with 9/11.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Jenne

Yeah, even Politifact had its ass whopped re: Fox News watchers being "uninformed" recently when they whacked Jon Stewart across the knuckles for his assertain Fox News watchers were the most "MISinformed" group of people in the nation during an interview with Chris Wallace.

http://thinkprogress.org/romm/2011/06/23/252113/jon-stewart-1-politifact-0-fox-news-viewers-most-misinformed/

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm seeing a promising Master's thesis in this for someone. "Uninformed and unaware of it: How difficulties in assessing one's own lack of information lead to inflated self-assessments"

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

There are now five (5) television broadcasting corporations in the USA.  Total.

There are now three (3) companies that run radio stations on a national level.  This does not include NPR.

They are not aiming at whatever makes a buck, "news"-wise...The news divisions of the above companies are hemmoraging money.  So they're doing what they do for a different reason.

Just saying.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 23, 2011, 10:23:25 PM

There are now three (3) companies that run radio stations on a national level.  This does not include NPR.

They are not aiming at whatever makes a buck, "news"-wise...The news divisions of the above companies are hemmoraging money.  So they're doing what they do for a different reason.

Just saying.

Yep.

It's part of the political machine. They are in the business of making sure big business stays in politics.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on November 23, 2011, 10:25:02 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 23, 2011, 10:23:25 PM

Just saying.

Yep.

It's part of the political machine. They are in the business of making sure big business stays in politics.

Actually, I tend to think that they are simply in the business of making sure America stays either pro-big business or neutralized.  They own politicians, they don't need to worry about staying in politics.  Congress is a tool for them, in the same way that Bill O'Rielly and Rachel Maddow are.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

It seems a little more sinister to me, like trying to make sure america is mostly shit-for-brains imbeciles. I mean, that's the effect of TV and talk radio.  :x
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Cain

I'd like to see the numbers for other stations and news outlets.

At this point, showing FOX News provides biased information is like shoving a retard down a flight of stairs: briefly enjoyable, but not difficult whatsoever.  Readers of the NYT and Washington Post, in my experience, are just as likely to be as ill-informed, but only in more socially acceptable (to liberal upper-middle class coast-dwellers) ways

Luna

Quote from: Cain on November 24, 2011, 02:02:28 AM
I'd like to see the numbers for other stations and news outlets.

At this point, showing FOX News provides biased information is like shoving a retard down a flight of stairs: briefly enjoyable, but not difficult whatsoever.  Readers of the NYT and Washington Post, in my experience, are just as likely to be as ill-informed, but only in more socially acceptable (to liberal upper-middle class coast-dwellers) ways

There were links to five in Jenne's article.  (I missed 'em first time through, the links are single-digit numbers.)  Some had just Fox/Non-Fox studies, these specified other news agencies

http://www.pipa.org/OnlineReports/Iraq/IraqMedia_Oct03/IraqMedia_Oct03_rpt.pdf
http://www.comm.ohio-state.edu/kgarrett/MediaMosqueRumors.pdf
(These two, I note, are single-issue studies... Areas which a conservative-biased station is likely to spin things ass-backwards.)

http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/pdf/dec10/Misinformation_Dec10_rpt.pdf

This one seems a better-rounded study, overall, with topics on either side of the fence.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Cain

Looking at the end one, it seems to be the case that Fox News viewers are only about 10-15% more misinformed than other consumers of daily news, barring certain key topics (Birtherism).  Thats's still a lot, obviously, but it doesn't exactly shine glory on the viewers of MSNBC or CNN, either.

Luna

Quote from: Cain on November 24, 2011, 02:32:29 AM
Looking at the end one, it seems to be the case that Fox News viewers are only about 10-15% more misinformed than other consumers of daily news, barring certain key topics (Birtherism).  Thats's still a lot, obviously, but it doesn't exactly shine glory on the viewers of MSNBC or CNN, either.

Truth.  But I've seen less active misinformation on other news networks than on Fox.

My own personal favorite is mislabeling Republican politicians caught with their pants down or their hands in the cookie jar as Democrats...

http://intershame.com/on/Fox_News

And then, for bonus points, complaining when OTHER news networks failed to mention a political party at all when it was a Democrat in the shit:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,400702,00.html
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."