You have [3] new messages in your inbox

Main Menu

TED suggestions

Started by LMNO, March 01, 2013, 06:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

navkat

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on March 05, 2013, 08:49:00 PM
YW! I'm kind of a TED junkie. :)

Totally. Who doesn't love an organization whose message seems to be "There's still hope. We can fix it with SCIENCE."

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

SCIENCE, common sense, and looooove.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Junkenstein

There's an amusing one on DRM and copyright law. If I recall correctly the title was something like "The 8 billion dollar Ipod"

Can't say I've bothered much further than that. Will have a look over the suggestions, appreciated all.

By all, I mean nigel really.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

navkat

I love the ones by ZeFrank.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

LMNO

Ok, watched the Amanda Palmer one and...

Nope.  Still biased against her.  I feel it's gimmicky (both her approach and delivery), and her ideas aren't scalable to the industry at large.

She was right about how it does feel "fair" when two people exchange things out of friendship, though. 

navkat

I kinda feel like this forum is a breeding ground for TED-like ideas...if we could all stop screeching long enough to hug each other. :)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Sano

Quote from: navkat: navkat of...navkat! on March 06, 2013, 09:19:23 PM
I love the ones by ZeFrank.

ZeFrank does TED talks? Wow, I'll have to look into these.
Everything comes to an end, reader. It is an old truism to which may be added that not everything that lasts, lasts for long. This latter part is not readily admitted; on the contrary the idea that an air castle lasts longer than the very air of which it is made is hard to get out of a person's head, and this is fortunate, otherwise the custom of making those almost eternal constructions might be lost.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

An incredible resuscitation of the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis that just about has me convinced, even though I tend toward the perspective that culture influences language more strongly than language influences culture: http://www.ted.com/talks/keith_chen_could_your_language_affect_your_ability_to_save_money.html

Telarus

I really like this one. It turned what was otherwise just math in my 3d programs when I'm lighting a 3d scene into..... something I could almost physically understand (kinetically process, but that's my weird synesthesia).

Ramesh Raskar: Imaging at a trillion frames per second
http://www.ted.com/talks/ramesh_raskar_a_camera_that_takes_one_trillion_frames_per_second.html
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

navkat

Quote from: Telarus on March 12, 2013, 08:00:51 AM
I really like this one. It turned what was otherwise just math in my 3d programs when I'm lighting a 3d scene into..... something I could almost physically understand (kinetically process, but that's my weird synesthesia).

Ramesh Raskar: Imaging at a trillion frames per second
http://www.ted.com/talks/ramesh_raskar_a_camera_that_takes_one_trillion_frames_per_second.html

I'm gonna be pissed when The Corporations start making me sign EULAs permitting their use of that to look at the shit inside my house and purse.