Where Everybody Knows You're Lame. 

Main Menu

A moment of insanity with Lies

Started by Lies, March 05, 2011, 03:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

Quote from: Lies on March 06, 2011, 06:57:14 AM
Quote from: Telarus on March 06, 2011, 06:01:08 AM
We all probably have similar melatonin weirdness.

Guess where melatonin is produced? Guess what cannabis does?

Yeah, Pineal Gland.  :wink:

Anyway, Lies, I would look into getting some Melatonin Tablets from your local grocery/pharmacy. I've had some success with that.
What? Are you saying melatonin is produced in cannabis doing pineal gland?

No, no, no, cannabis produces pineal gland in your melatonin. :lulz:

Telarus

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :fnord:

Just a note, Melatonin over-the-counter may or may not be available to you (not sure on the OZ laws on that one). It's effects are dose dependent, and it's actually the LOW doses (0.5 -1 mg) that are better at inducing drowsiness. If you take 1-3mg, take it 4 hours before you want the drowsiness to hit.

Edit: TFYS,S, right. This is not medical advice, but a research prompt, yada yada,.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Rumckle

Isn't there a way to naturally increase your melatonin production? I seem to remember that melatonin production is based on how light it is. I can't remember exactly though.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Rumckle on March 06, 2011, 09:00:00 AM
Isn't there a way to naturally increase your melatonin production? I seem to remember that melatonin production is based on how light it is. I can't remember exactly though.

I think the darker you can make while you sleep increases the production of it.

*GrumpButt*

When taking melatonin make sure that you are already where you need to be. Home, somewhere with a bed. That shit kicks is fast and hard. Well, for me at least.  :D
*sigh* You have to be kidding me.

Dysfunctional Cunt

When this shit happens to me I take kava kava and valerian root with a shot of vodka.  Knocks me the fuck right out whether I want it to or not....

Or I come here and read Hugh's or WolfPoet's old threads, those do the same thing...  except you wake up feeling dirty and misled... :lulz:

Triple Zero

I bought a little jar of valerian tablets once, not for sleeping, for being calmer.

Except, then I read about it on Wikipedia and it turns out there's hardly any proven physiological effect.

Stupid me, for reading about medications online. NO PLACEBO EFFECT FOR ME :(
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jasper

The placebo effect need not be covert for it to have potency.  

In light of recent research, it should be renamed "the medical ritual" effect.

*GrumpButt*

Valerian Tabs and liquid have no effect what-so-ever on me. :( But damn that melatonin kicks my ass.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Sigmatic on March 06, 2011, 08:08:12 PM
The placebo effect need not be covert for it to have potency.  

In light of recent research, it should be renamed "the medical ritual" effect.

I knew someone was going to say something that, but ehh I hoped they'd be a bit more in depth about it :oops:

As far as I've understood it, there's a part that goes away if you don't believe in it, and a part that doesn't?

(just like Reality ;-) )

And if it's only about the "medical ritual", then I wouldn't need any specific kind of tablets.

I think we read the same thread in the Scientism subforum, but what I got from it was mostly a lot of "further research needed"? Do they know anything yet?

Now exactly how it works (would be nice to know though), but mostly how to make it work for you?

You say it doesn't need to be covert, but does it require belief in the ritual?

the difference between

"I'm eating this pill, but it has no scientific proven effect. *Swallows*" ---> nothing much

and

"This pill doesn't have any scientific proven effect, however I'm going to dismiss that thought (for the moment) and pretend that it's really very potent, in fact I better not take it until I'm laying down. It's really potent. POTENT. POOOOOOOOTENT. VEEEERRRRRY POTENT. *stares intently at the pill* ...  LOOK AT THAT MAJESTIC POTENCY whoa I think I saw it glowing just for a very short while ... *Swallows*" ----> :?

I can try tonight maybe.

Hm AFAIK, the important trick is to temporarily switch off the doubt, not how intense and vivid the imagined potency actually is (it can be slightly more fun though, and wild imagination serves as a good doubt-distraction).

So maybe "This pill doesn't have any scientific proven effect, however I'm going to dismiss that thought (for the moment) and pretend that it's really very potent. *Takes a moment to dismiss doubting thoughts and the thoughts of potency remain* ... ok. *Swallows*" is already enough.

Would explain a lot about how skeptics only very rarely get to experience paranormal illusions/delusions. It's much easier to go along with crazy imaginations and pretend, than to actually cast aside doubt (even temporarily). At least, for me it is. Maybe it's not actually that hard, it's just something, as a skeptic, you don't do very naturally (it's kinda scary actually--what if you don't come back?). But pretending and imagining is something everybody can do.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

*GrumpButt*

I am having the same exact night as the OP...

I am tired to the bone, but I still have so much energy. I'm all twitchy and can barely type, but I can not go to bed.  I keep flipping b/t sites and mailbox even though there is nothing there.
*click-click-click-click-click*

Don Coyote

Quote from: *GrumpButt* on March 07, 2011, 05:31:03 AM

I am tired to the bone, but I still have so much energy. I'm all twitchy and can barely type, but I can not go to bed.  I keep flipping b/t sites and mailbox even though there is nothing there.

Easy solution. Turn off the box. Jump up and down like a ninny until you get tired.

Lies

Quote from: Canis latrans eques on March 07, 2011, 05:32:25 AM

Easy solution. Turn off the box. Jump up and down like a ninny until you get tired.

YOU DONT UNDERSTAND. YOU CAN'T JUST TURN IT OFF. IT MUST FIRST LET YOU GO BEFORE YOU ARE ALLOWED TO LET IT REST. AND IT NEVER WANTS TO LET YOU GO.
- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!

Don Coyote

Quote from: Lies on March 07, 2011, 05:36:48 AM

YOU DONT UNDERSTAND. YOU CAN'T JUST TURN IT OFF. IT MUST FIRST LET YOU GO BEFORE YOU ARE ALLOWED TO LET IT REST. AND IT NEVER WANTS TO LET YOU GO.

Coyote understands. Coyote also has a hammer and likes to smash technology what misbehaves.

*GrumpButt*

Quote from: Lies on March 07, 2011, 05:36:48 AM

I am tired to the bone, but I still have so much energy. I'm all twitchy and can barely type, but I can not go to bed.  I keep flipping b/t sites and mailbox even though there is nothing there.

Holy shiiiiit... It's like your in my head, man. Srsly.

Well here's the mistake I made.

Smoked a big bowl, then drank about 3 cups of coffee......

I am stuck in the internetz and I can't escape.

Someone come save meh.  :cry: