News:

Licenced Jenkem provider since 2007

Main Menu

America's internal black sites

Started by Cain, February 24, 2015, 09:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/feb/24/chicago-police-detain-americans-black-site?CMP=share_btn_fb

QuoteThe Chicago police department operates an off-the-books interrogation compound, rendering Americans unable to be found by family or attorneys while locked inside what lawyers say is the domestic equivalent of a CIA black site.

The facility, a nondescript warehouse on Chicago's west side known as Homan Square, has long been the scene of secretive work by special police units. Interviews with local attorneys and one protester who spent the better part of a day shackled in Homan Square describe operations that deny access to basic constitutional rights.

Alleged police practices at Homan Square, according to those familiar with the facility who spoke out to the Guardian after its investigation into Chicago police abuse, include:

Keeping arrestees out of official booking databases.
Beating by police, resulting in head wounds.
Shackling for prolonged periods.
Denying attorneys access to the "secure" facility.
Holding people without legal counsel for between 12 and 24 hours, including people as young as 15.
At least one man was found unresponsive in a Homan Square "interview room" and later pronounced dead.

I know this is nothing new, for those who know about how unaccountable US police can be...but still.

It's almost a shame RWHN isn't here, to remind us these are just bad apples.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on February 24, 2015, 09:26:59 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/feb/24/chicago-police-detain-americans-black-site?CMP=share_btn_fb

QuoteThe Chicago police department operates an off-the-books interrogation compound, rendering Americans unable to be found by family or attorneys while locked inside what lawyers say is the domestic equivalent of a CIA black site.

The facility, a nondescript warehouse on Chicago's west side known as Homan Square, has long been the scene of secretive work by special police units. Interviews with local attorneys and one protester who spent the better part of a day shackled in Homan Square describe operations that deny access to basic constitutional rights.

Alleged police practices at Homan Square, according to those familiar with the facility who spoke out to the Guardian after its investigation into Chicago police abuse, include:

Keeping arrestees out of official booking databases.
Beating by police, resulting in head wounds.
Shackling for prolonged periods.
Denying attorneys access to the "secure" facility.
Holding people without legal counsel for between 12 and 24 hours, including people as young as 15.
At least one man was found unresponsive in a Homan Square "interview room" and later pronounced dead.

I know this is nothing new, for those who know about how unaccountable US police can be...but still.

It's almost a shame RWHN isn't here, to remind us these are just bad apples.

if so the future is about to be all bad apples.

I've heard some few rumors that may be related. I'll check up with some trusties of mine next time I visit my hometown. The new thing is not homeland American black sites. It's POLICE having them. This is not good at all.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cain

There is also this story.  I'm sure it's just complete coincidence that a former Guantanamo Bay prison officer helped Chicago PD set up their own blacksite, though

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/feb/18/guantanamo-torture-chicago-police-brutality

QuoteA Chicago detective who led one of the most shocking acts of torture ever conducted at Guantánamo Bay was responsible for implementing a disturbingly similar, years-long regime of brutality to elicit murder confessions from minority Americans.

Bad lieutenant: American police brutality, exported from Chicago to Guantánamo
Read more
In a dark foreshadowing of the United States' post-9/11 descent into torture, a Guardian investigation can reveal that Richard Zuley, a detective on Chicago's north side from 1977 to 2007, repeatedly engaged in methods of interrogation resulting in at least one wrongful conviction and subsequent cases more recently thrown into doubt following allegations of abuse.

Zuley's record suggests a continuum between police abuses in urban America and the wartime detention scandals that continue to do persistent damage to the reputation of the United States. Zuley's tactics, which would be supercharged at Guantánamo when he took over the interrogation of a high-profile detainee as a US Navy reserve lieutenant, included:

• Shackling suspects to police-precinct walls through eyebolts for hours on end.

• Accusations of planting evidence when there was pressure for a high-profile murder conviction.

• Threats of harm to family members of those under interrogation used as leverage.

• Pressure on suspects to implicate themselves and others.

• Threats of being subject to the death penalty if suspects did not confess.

Junkenstein

HO HO HO!

This surely won't get any worse!
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

AMERICA! FUCK YEAH! LAND OF THE FREE!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on February 24, 2015, 09:48:55 PM
There is also this story.  I'm sure it's just complete coincidence that a former Guantanamo Bay prison officer helped Chicago PD set up their own blacksite, though

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/feb/18/guantanamo-torture-chicago-police-brutality

QuoteA Chicago detective who led one of the most shocking acts of torture ever conducted at Guantánamo Bay was responsible for implementing a disturbingly similar, years-long regime of brutality to elicit murder confessions from minority Americans.

Bad lieutenant: American police brutality, exported from Chicago to Guantánamo
Read more
In a dark foreshadowing of the United States' post-9/11 descent into torture, a Guardian investigation can reveal that Richard Zuley, a detective on Chicago's north side from 1977 to 2007, repeatedly engaged in methods of interrogation resulting in at least one wrongful conviction and subsequent cases more recently thrown into doubt following allegations of abuse.

Zuley's record suggests a continuum between police abuses in urban America and the wartime detention scandals that continue to do persistent damage to the reputation of the United States. Zuley's tactics, which would be supercharged at Guantánamo when he took over the interrogation of a high-profile detainee as a US Navy reserve lieutenant, included:

• Shackling suspects to police-precinct walls through eyebolts for hours on end.

• Accusations of planting evidence when there was pressure for a high-profile murder conviction.

• Threats of harm to family members of those under interrogation used as leverage.

• Pressure on suspects to implicate themselves and others.

• Threats of being subject to the death penalty if suspects did not confess.

Guess They really recognize talent in their 'meritocracy' and.... :vom:
Chicago... giving us the best torturers per capita was just the beginning.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

I will remind you all that Cain, myself, and especially Verthaine called all this shit way back in 2003.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"OH, that could never happen here" people said.
:horrormirth:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 25, 2015, 07:40:22 PM
"OH, that could never happen here" people said.
:horrormirth:

"If you do something bad for a good reason, soon you'll do it for a bad reason."
- Terry Pratchett

"If we do this to foreigners, we'll do it to ourselves."
- Vincent Verthaine, on the subject of "enhanced interrogation".

"If you have to find a euphemism for it, you are being evil."
- My dad.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 25, 2015, 07:48:46 PM
- My dad.

I nominate this for Big Words.

Demolition Squid

Terry Pratchett's quote there is so right in so many circumstances.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Demolition Squid on February 25, 2015, 08:54:45 PM
Pratchett is a font of wisdom, read his everything.

That being said:
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 25, 2015, 07:53:41 PM
- My dad.

Seconded.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Reginald Ret (07/05/1983 - 06/11/2014) on February 25, 2015, 09:09:17 PM
Quote from: Demolition Squid on February 25, 2015, 08:54:45 PM
Pratchett is a font of wisdom, read his everything.

That being said:
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 25, 2015, 07:53:41 PM
- My dad.

Seconded.

All this.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl