News:

PD.com: We're not actually discordians

Main Menu

Discordian Evangelism

Started by Cramulus, December 09, 2009, 02:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

listen, I don't think we're ever going to arrive at a mission statement or methodology that we can all agree on. That's cool though. Par for the course.

At it's core, I hope we can agree on this: "I wish there were more Discordians in the world."

What I want to do here is identify the pitfalls we should avoid while trying to recruit. And more importantly, develop some methodologies to find more recruits. It's okay if we make some mistake and maybe go a bit too deep or too weird or betray some of our "core" ideas. Because they're all bullshit anyway.

Then I'd like to take the energy we gain in this thread and go apply it, for real, and see some results.

So let's focus on getting these ideas off the drawing board and onto the activity list.

War on Christmas:

I think the most effective application would be to send out a press release?
Or perhaps set up a website?

this is most effective if we have the guise of being an actual organization

Flash Mobs

This is a great angle because these things photograph well, and are relatively easy to put together. (well, easier than organizing a convention or event or something)

Propaganda

How do you guys feel about creating more tracts, pamphlets, etc? Is there an angle which might be particularly effective? any energies we should avoid?

The "Off the Tracts" thread has some great starts - do you think those are things we should develop out into PDFs?

Cain

I recently downloaded (but haven't read) a book on Christian evangelist techniques.  I could send you a link, if you wanted.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

The following domaiins are available::

diechristmasdie.com
burntannenbaum.com
waterboardsanta.com

for starters....
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on December 09, 2009, 06:50:18 PM

Propaganda

How do you guys feel about creating more tracts, pamphlets, etc? Is there an angle which might be particularly effective? any energies we should avoid?

The "Off the Tracts" thread has some great starts - do you think those are things we should develop out into PDFs?

I have a few ideas in this department.  I'll barf 'em out, and see what you guys think.

I think I can commit to having 3-4 available within 2 weeks.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on December 09, 2009, 06:48:07 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 09, 2009, 06:41:45 PM
Quote from: Cainad on December 09, 2009, 06:40:12 PM
Lampooning the War on Christmas to get people riled up, mocking irrational public fears about terrorism and swine flu, making awful jokes about things that victims of the CoN think should only be discussed as Serious Business, and in general acting like a pack of rabid-but-intelligent chimpanzees for no better reason than making a scene are all worthy goals, IMO.

This.

Not everything has to have a happy ending, to have a happy ending.

I agree... if we want to fuck with the sleepers because its fun to fuck with the sleepers, I'm all in. Mostly because if we do it publicly we might be seen by some people with insomnia, if not... we still got to fuck with the sleepers.

Yes.  This IS supposed to be fun, after all.  If it stops being fun and starts being work, I'll quit and go hang out with stinky pagans.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

I think a professional looking logo and website would be key for the War on Christmas to be a success.

Also, covering our tracks so people won't be able to easily find out who is behind it.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

rong

war on christmas related:  nativity scene statues turning up missing always seems to get some press.  what if a bunch of mangers somehow ended up with golden apples in them?  or, you know, something like that?
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Cainad (dec.)

I recommend directing further discussion of the Char on Wristmas here: http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=23165.0

Freeky

Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on December 09, 2009, 08:48:26 PM
I think a professional looking logo and website would be key for the War on Christmas to be a success.

Also, covering our tracks so people won't be able to easily find out who is behind it.

I thought the point was to get people to find out about discordianism? Why cover trakcs if we want people to figure it out?

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Mistress Freeky on December 09, 2009, 11:40:25 PM

I thought the point was to get people to find out about discordianism? Why cover trakcs if we want people to figure it out?

What better way to get attention than a publicity stunt?
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Freeky

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on December 09, 2009, 11:41:13 PM
Quote from: Mistress Freeky on December 09, 2009, 11:40:25 PM

What better way to get attention than a publicity stunt?

I agree with that, but it doesn't exactly answer my question. :oops:

Cainad (dec.)

I think the idea is that we don't want people to be able to figure out, right off the bat, that we're doing it purely as a publicity stunt and for lulz. We ought to put some effort into making it look like we're serious, at least for a little while. Enough to get professional media outlets to pay attention, even if only briefly.

Freeky

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

If I had more time and energy I'd put it into launching a proper tirade against my nemesis Cramulus and his evangelical, orderly ways

but I'm kind of just exhausted.

I'd like to see awareness of Discordia increased, but not using the name Discordia. I'd like to see it in the form of allusions to a shadowy, slightly menacing group of ne'er-do-well's and troublemakers under some other name, with another layer of intrigue under that, and another one under that, so that if people investigated long enough and peeled back all the layers they would find Merry Old Discordja underneath it all.

It would make it more fun, and more interesting.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."