News:

PD.com: "a rather irritating form of hermetic terrorism".

Main Menu

So, Hey, Reverend...

Started by Scribbly, April 11, 2011, 11:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scribbly

I've never needed spiritual advice before but, well, see, there was this girl.

She was on the news. You've probably seen the pictures, but I knew her before then. I couldn't believe it when I saw her there. I looked in her eye, even though she was a hundred miles away, and I was right back then.

She was young and brilliant. We were all young and brilliant, then, and we were going to save the world. The problems didn't seem so insurmountable when we spoke. It was just that so many people couldn't see what we saw. But she was everything I wasn't, too. She was casual and irreverent, she smoked and drank and had a lot of sex that she spoke about candidly. I loved her, but I never touched her. I couldn't, because, let's be honest, I was never serious about having a good time. I knew she would take me places if I let her, but I was too afraid. I was happy just being near her, where the air tasted cleaner and the world seemed brighter and I never ran out of things to say.

And so we spoke for hours and hours, and we laughed, and we never cried. We were never wrong, any of us, and we were never really right, either. But that was okay, because we had all the time in the world to talk about it. We knew we'd get there in the end, how could we not? We were young, and brilliant.

That was so long ago but for a moment, I was there. Because she was laughing, I could see that, even though the commentator was speaking loud over whatever sound the crowd was making. Then the teargas hit, and she wasn't laughing any more.

She was separated. The boy she was with went running and she was choking too much to see where she was going. I watched, because what else could I do? The crowd was a mad panic, and the police horses came in hard. Somehow, she avoided the hooves, but they didn't give the stragglers time to regroup before they sent in the next wave.

I watched her trying to pick up what used to be her teeth, and I felt sick, Reverend. But there was a heavy hand on my shoulder, it said Don't worry, you wouldn't have changed anything anyway. You should stay here. The Police will have all their faces on file now.

After the second blow, she wasn't moving very much anymore. They just kept hitting her. The hand tightened on my shoulder, and it felt like it curled around my heart. She was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The protesters were a clear and present danger to the wellbeing of The City.

It isn't as though these issues affect you anyway. Think about your career.

The next day her face was looking at me from the newspaper, the television, her voice was snared by the radio, chanting some abusive slogan. They tried to make her look menacing, her most dangerous features. They pointed out a history of drug abuse, dangerous subversive behaviour, and I couldn't have changed anything anyway and there I was. Back then, laughing with her, because I knew we could change the world but... sorry, something in my eye.

... But we can't, can we Reverend? I can accept that now. The world is what they say it is, and that beautiful laughing girl is a dangerous radical, and they can see what we see, they just hate it so much. I can turn the television off, now. I can toss away the newspapers, I don't want to see. I don't want to care. It isn't as though these issues affect me. I just thought a man of the cloth like you, Reverend. You have to know, as my spiritual advisor.

Why can't I look away?
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Jenne

Luna

Damn.  Just, damn...

And, the answer to your last question?  Because you have a soul.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Cainad (dec.)

Yowza.

Also, what Luna said.

Dysfunctional Cunt

jesus DS that was fucking awesome!!!

:mittens:

made me want to cry!

**edited for wrong squid reference - you cephlapods are confuzzling me**

still awesome post!!!

Phox

Line/paragraph 7...  Holy Mary Mother of Fucking Christ....

The Good Reverend Roger

Well, you can always rebel tomorrow.  Or the next day.  But there's so much to do, and you have to think about your career, as you say.  

Maybe some other time.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That one felt like a punch to the gut.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on April 12, 2011, 01:06:43 AM

Well, then, it's good training for the coming hilarity, right?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 12, 2011, 01:15:43 AM
Quote from: Nigel on April 12, 2011, 01:06:43 AM

Well, then, it's good training for the coming hilarity, right?

It's a sample portion.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

The OP took what little courage I had to stand up on my own hind legs and do what I think is right.

I fail at life. :(

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jenkem and Bubble Baths on April 12, 2011, 01:59:21 AM
The OP took what little courage I had to stand up on my own hind legs and do what I think is right.

I fail at life. :(

Look, it's really simple.  You avoid the riot cops with the rolled-up sleeves.  They fucking mean business.

And look like students, housewives, blue collar joes.  Let the anarchists get whacked over the head.  You can't win that game, unless you're a Libyan with a hunting knife.

Freeky

DRIVE CLOSER! :lulz:

That's good advice, though.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jenkem and Bubble Baths on April 12, 2011, 02:05:30 AM
DRIVE CLOSER! :lulz:

That's good advice, though.

Serious about the rolled-up sleeves guys.  The ones with their sleeves rolled DOWN think about regs, and about keeping oven-cleaner and flammable shit off of themselves.  The ones with rolled-UP sleeves are there to work up a sweat.