News:

TESTEMONAIL:  Right and Discordianism allows room for personal interpretation. You have your theories and I have mine. Unlike Christianity, Discordia allows room for ideas and opinions, and mine is well-informed and based on ancient philosophy and theology, so, my neo-Discordian friends, open your minds to my interpretation and I will open my mind to yours. That's fair enough, right? Just claiming to be discordian should mean that your mind is open and willing to learn and share ideas. You guys are fucking bashing me and your laughing at my theologies and my friends know what's up and are laughing at you and honestly this is my last shot at putting a label on my belief structure and your making me lose all hope of ever finding a ideological group I can relate to because you don't even know what the fuck I'm talking about and everything I have said is based on the founding principals of real Discordianism. Expand your mind.

Main Menu

ITT: Original Story Ideas

Started by Cramulus, May 11, 2009, 09:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/storygen.php

This might help.  For example, I got

Setting:                            Dangerous Workplace
Plot:                              Scooby Doo Hoax
Narrative Device:            Fling A Light Into The Future
Hero:                            Super Hero
Villain:                            Nebulous Evil Organisation
Character As Device:            Stock Character
Characterization Device:    Beware The Nice Ones

So I'm thinking what if there was a superhero who was immune to fire or choking, who worked as a fireman.  He is in fact an alien, the last of a dying race, who was sent to earth to spare him his civilization's destruction. 

Supposed acts of spontaneous human combustion are taking place, killing people and burning houses down.  However, these are in fact being staged by an evil organization of unknown origin, to remove old people and buildings from a prime peace of real estate in the setting, without having to pay the market price.  Our hero carefully tracks them down, only to be disgusted by their depraved evil and give them an epic ass kicking in the finale.

Cain

Anyone who can do something with this is a genius:

Setting:                            Veganopia
Plot:                                    A Friend In Need
Narrative Device:            Thwarted Escape
Hero:                            Action Mom
Villain:                            African Terrorists
Character As Device:            Romantic Runner Up
Characterization Device:    Trope Mobile

Setting:                            Hell Hotel
Plot:                                    Fighting For A Homeland
Narrative Device:            Freak Out
Hero:                            Homeless Hero
Villain:                            Villainous Glutton
Character As Device:            Why Do You Keep Changing Jobs
Characterization Device:    Nice To The Waiter

Setting:                            Friendly Local Chinatown
Plot:                                    Lottery Ticket
Narrative Device:            Poor Communication Kills
Hero:                            Lady Of Adventure
Villain:                            The Dragon
Character As Device:            Hometown Hero
Characterization Device:    Famous Ancestor

Setting:                            Local Hangout
Plot:                                    Everything But The Girl
Narrative Device:            Hannibal Lecture
Hero:                            Badass Bookworm
Villain:                            Hero Antagonist
Character As Device:            Drop In Character
Characterization Device:    Evil Sounds Deep

LMNO

Shit.  I'd love to do 3-minute trailers for each of those.  It would be a really fun project.

Hmmm... I wonder if any of my old student film major friends would be interested.

Cain

Setting:    Evil Tower Of Ominousness
Plot:    Fantastic Voyage
Narrative Device:    Critical Psychoanalysis Failure
Hero:    Incorruptible Pure Pureness
Villain:    Dragon With An Agenda
Character As Device:    Heroic Bastard
Characterization Device:    Dark Is Not Evil

The hero and the former lieutenant of an evil overlord team up on a mission to kill him.  Along the way, our almost sickeningly pure and good hero tries to find out what makes our former villain tick.  A metaphorical and literal journey into the Heart of Darkness results, as we learn the lieutenant has issues resulting from early in his life (namely being the bastard of a lord, and thus denied the birthright privileges accorded to his younger half-brother, instead relying on his skill in combat to make a name for himself in this world, and thus falling into the mercenary business, which eventually led him to work for the evil overlord).  Instead of exposing him as a villain with a Freudian excuse for his crimes, we see that while he is a fairly dark person, his agenda was far less harmful than that of the Big Bad, and so he comes across as non-evil, and even perhaps an Anti-villain.

LMNO

Cain

Setting:    Scavenger World
Plot:    Invisible Main Character
Narrative Device:    Two Timer Date
Hero:    Anti Hero
Villain:    The Man Behind The Curtain
Character As Device:    Jumped At The Call
Characterization Device:    Eye Tropes

Set 100 years in the future, in the aftermath of superpowered terrorists attacks (like those described by John Robb) world infrastructure has fallen apart.  Our "hero" is a wheeler and dealer who survives by trading in "advanced" (ie just pre-crash) technology.  He happens to owe money to a particular corporate conglomerate, due to a gambling and drug habit that has him frittering away much of what he does make, and leaving him in massive debt when it comes to daily goods, like rent and food.

Because of the dire position he is in, he decides to loot a military base, where it was rumoured (according to a crackpot photocopy sheet which survived the crash and found its way into his hands) that hi-tech experiments were taking place.  While attempting to loot the place, he gets...infected, by a particular piece of technology, which renders him invisible to the naked eye.  At first, the effects are random, but later on he manages to gain a degree of control over when it happens, and to what extent.  At first, he uses it to simply feed his voyeuristic desires, and the occasional theft, but as he moves from place to place in the city he lives, he comes to appreciate the squalor people are kept in, while the corporate conglomerate he owes money to, stockpiles technology and lives in the lap of luxury by comparison.

And so starts the epic adventure of ass-kicking and revenge.

Cramulus

It is the year 2020. The teleporter is invented. The technology is actually somewhat cheap, and teleporters begin showing up all over the world. You are able to get one in your house at about the same cost as a car. Mankind is able to cheaply and quickly get from point A to point B on the other side of the world. The whole world changes - you can work in New York City and go home that night to your mansion in India. Drug trade goes through the roof. Terrorism is ubiquitous. The value of money falls into chaos and there are plans for a global currency.

Teleporting is also a little dicey. Sometimes you end up somewhere other than where you expected. The technology is still pretty young.

The story, however, is about a teleporter repairman.

His hobby is juryrigging teleporters so that at a certain time, they will teleport their passenger to a killer party in Dubai.

At first he has a lot of fun creating escapism from the weird weird world. He teleports bored people into this awesome party, and when they go home they've become world citizens instead of locals using their teleporters to go to work.

the theme is that once the barriers of space have been eliminated, separation between people will be eliminated. If you can have tea in a different city every day, how long can you keep that up before you get numb to the wonders of modern civilization? The new focus becomes creating new places to visit rather than visiting the old world.

I also wonder -- if people had teleporters, I wonder how adventurous they'd get. I know a lot of people here would want to go do some pretty awesome things if they could teleport anywhere in the world for free. But I have a feeling a lot of people would just visit their "dream vacation" spot every single day until they had assimilated it into their routine.

LMNO

The initial culture shock would be enormous.

Cain

There is actually a Hayden Christensen movie about a guy who gets an ability like this.  Its not technology, but inborn, and only a few others have it.  He uses it to rob banks and get rich, and then party and surf all over the world.

Oh, and there is some stupid religious bigotry/romance subplot, but that was crap.  Focusing on it, from a technological and society-wide/global point of view would be far more fun, and questioning.

LMNO

Cain

The one and the same.

I was so fucking annoyed after seeing that, because if I had the money right now, I'd be in Greece or Antarctica.  Teleporting would remove the need for even that.

LMNO

I was annoyed after seeing that, because it was terrible.

Cramulus

A love story

It's a romance between two ultra-weird people

and a quiet woodsy chick
   who happens to be a Dendrophiliac

and
a really bad method actor
   who found inner peace during a school play while portraying a tree

Cain

Well, duh, it had Hayden Christensen in a lead role.

You didn't see it at the cinema, did you?  I watched it because it was a slow night on TV and that was recorded.

Cramulus

Take any movie plotline about wisecracking CGI animals

but it's a live action movie
  and instead of actual animals, they're human beings in fursuits

trying to save the forest from being bulldozed or something

this might mash well with that last idea