News:

PD.com: We'll make you an offer you can't understand.

Main Menu

Robin Williams is dead. Apparent suicide.

Started by Suu, August 11, 2014, 11:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Pæs

Trivial

Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Oh.  Severe depression.   :sad:

Poor bastard.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Suu

Depression is a nasty, nasty thing. Just because you can pretend to be happy and joke a lot on the outside doesn't mean that you're really doing so well on the inside.  :sad:

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

hooplala

Just a few weeks ago I was watching a bunch of episodes of Mork and Mindy (don't ask).  There was an episode where Robin Williams played himself.  Mindy and Mork interviewed him, and he was such a sad creature.  I know it was a sitcom, and likely written by soulless Hollywood hacks, but the reality was palpable.  When my wife told me a few minutes ago, I have to say I wasn't entirely surprised, just deeply saddened.  I'm happy he lasted as long as he did, and I hope that comes across as I intend it, and not crassly.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Sir Squid Diddimus

Geeze, Mork & Mindy was my first exposure to him. I loved that show as a kid.
Depression is a real bitch, and sometimes that dragon wins.

Really sucks.

:sad:

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Junkenstein

Damn shame. Though not a great surprise.

QuoteThere was an episode where Robin Williams played himself.  Mindy and Mork interviewed him, and he was such a sad creature.

I remember that. Well worth a watch for anyone interested, I'll try and find a link to it.

Personally, I always had something of a soft spot for him after seeing that. Dead Poets and Good Morning Vietnam in particular seemed a lot more poignant after it. I considered the man to have excellent comic timing and skills, even when the material was lacking the enthusiasm in the performance pulled it through. For all the shit he got over his comedy work in recent years, there's few that can deliver that kind of performance.

I'll miss the bastard. Comedy seems a poorer place without him.

Thinking on, this thread needs comedy. Anything and everything.  I'm disinclined to have good memories of the chap ruined with ruminations on depression which will doubtless be the talking point of everywhere else.

So here's Gilbert Gottfried reading  the speech from "Independence Day". I think he would have appreciated this.
https://soundcloud.com/maxtemkin/gilbert-gottfried-reads-the-presidents-speech
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

hooplala

Here's a clip (can't seem to find the full episode now) from that episode of Mork & Mindy, and it's the meat of the episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlNVEKrMoOw

And here is 2 versions of a sketch from around 1990 with Carol Burnett, about grief: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfDyTUiL8xs
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Junkenstein

Yeah, that's the one. The 5-6 min mark is heartbreaking in hindsight.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Suu

And Lauren Bacall just died.

There's your #2.

Nephew Twiddleton

I feel bad that he decided to off himself. I feel worse for his family. It's not surprising, since, well, he had an admitted history of mental health issues and substance abuse, but he did seem like a really nice guy who wanted the world to be a better place. And it's always sad when such a one decides to get the next flight out.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS