News:

Urgh, this is what I hate about PD.com, it is the only site in existence where a perfectly good spam thread can be misused for high quality discussions.  I hate you all.

Main Menu

Get Old Skool

Started by BADGE OF HONOR, September 07, 2005, 06:31:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BADGE OF HONOR

Quote from: HesiodAnd she, destructive Night, bore Nemesis,
who gives much pain
to mortals; and afterward cheating Deception
and loving Affection
and then malignant Old Age
and overbearing Discord.
Hateful Discord in turn
bore painful Hardship,
and Forgetfulness, and Starvation,
and the Pains, full of weeping,
the Battles and the Quarrels, the Murders
and the Manslaughters,
the Grievances, the lying Stories,
the Disputations,
and Lawlessness and Ruin, who share
one another's nature,
and Oath, who does more damage than any other
to earthly
men, when anyone, of his knowledge,
swears to a false oath.

Scholarship, motherfuckers!  In case you didn't know, the first of all the gods was Chaos, but Chaos wasn't Chaos, Chaos was a yawning pit of nothingness in Gaia, i.e. her vagina.  So the first of the first was Gaia, She just didn't know it yet.  Eris is just a young upstart, but like Gaia she produced countless young without any help, and unlike Gaia no hindrance.  Upstart she may be, but she's still older than that randy bastard Zeus.  

Eris doesn't need any help, nor does she need any virgins.  She is not vengeful, nor does she visit her ills upon mankind for any particular reason.  It's just the way she is.  She's just a bitch...and then you die.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

BADGE OF HONOR

Having just read Horab's post about worshipping, I say don't do it either.  If you want some sympathy, go find Hecate or Leto or something.  Eris'd just send one of her daughters at you in the mightiest bitchslap what never was.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rabid Badger of GodScholarship, motherfuckers!  In case you didn't know, the first of all the gods was Chaos, but Chaos wasn't Chaos, Chaos was a yawning pit of nothingness in Gaia, i.e. her vagina.  

http://www.ancientgreece.com/mythology/mythology.htm

Um, no...Chaos was a titan/god that PRECEDED Gaia.  Was her dad, in fact.

Just trying for accuracy.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

BADGE OF HONOR

Not necessarily.  Hesiod--who isn't an actual person--seems to think she just appeared out of nowhere.  Chaos spawned Darkness and Night; Gaia spawned Sky, Sea, and Mountains.  Most of the rest of the gods came from Gaia fucking her children.

http://www.theoi.com/AncientsFamily.htm#Ouranos

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rabid Badger of GodNot necessarily.  Hesiod--who isn't an actual person--seems to think she just appeared out of nowhere.  Chaos spawned Darkness and Night; Gaia spawned Sky, Sea, and Mountains.  Most of the rest of the gods came from Gaia fucking her children.

http://www.theoi.com/AncientsFamily.htm#Ouranos

From Hesiod:

...In the beginning, Hesiod says, there was Chaos, vast and dark. Then appeared Gaea, the dep-breasted earth, and finally Eros,

D/N/T The Good Rev on Greek & Roman history/mythology.  He has had WAY too much time on his hands to use reading this stuff.

Can name all 99 emperors from Octavian to the fall of the Western Empire = I am a fucking GEEK. :lol:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

BADGE OF HONOR

Exactly!  I don't see no reference to Daddy anywhere!  Gaia just appeared.

...apparently I start speaking redneck when I get excited...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rabid Badger of GodExactly!  I don't see no reference to Daddy anywhere!  Gaia just appeared.

...apparently I start speaking redneck when I get excited...

Look at my first link.  It also references Hesiod.

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Roger is right on Hesiod and the origins of Gaea/Gaia.

That whole "Gaia first" thing is modern Goddess movement propaganda.
"Time for the tin-foil hats, girls and boys!"

BADGE OF HONOR

And I say Hesiod never actually says Chaos fathered Gaia.  Gaia just appears.  Whether or not she came first, she was the first solid thing in existence (Chaos literally meaning "gaping void").  

Now I don't even remember why I brought it up in the first place.  Bah!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Irreverend Hugh, KSCRoger is right on Hesiod and the origins of Gaea/Gaia.

That whole "Gaia first" thing is modern Goddess movement propaganda.

Troof.

Horab Fibslager

there was the void adn then out of the void stepped man who had a thought which was the word "I" which became flowed into "i am" wheich further fertilized into "i am man"

man is in teh very human kind sense, not gender specific sense. an dalthough i'm sure it could b e abasic summary of many creation myths, +10 points fo rwhoever tells us what major religion( But not any particular sect because i dunno that shit)  i ripped that off from.
Hell is other people.

LMNO

Quote from: Rabid Badger of GodAnd I say Hesiod never actually says Chaos fathered Gaia.  Gaia just appears.  Whether or not she came first, she was the first solid thing in existence (Chaos literally meaning "gaping void").  

Now I don't even remember why I brought it up in the first place.  Bah!

Well, she came first if, and only if, Chaos was a sensitive and skilled lover.

[/obvious]

BADGE OF HONOR