Erisian Brewer's Cadre. Or: How I saw the Goddess in the first place

Started by Richter, November 04, 2010, 04:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Squid Diddimus

That sounds yummy.

I haven't brewed shit, been too busy. Sigh.

I haven't even tried the bottle of homebrew sent by Zappathruster.
ugh. i need a break.

Luna

Applejack Mark 2 did not come out quite as expected.  Heavier on the clove than I would have liked, but not bad.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Triple Zero

my shit's still bubbling! it's been more than 2.5 months now, what the fuck

FUCKING YEAST SHOULD GET ON WITH IT

but at least the temps outside are now cold enough that I can "crash" the brew, but I really was intending to just let it ferment out completely, cause I read somewhere that after it's completely done, a lot of yeast sort of cleans up after itself and starts breaking down some unwanted by products? know anything about that?

also I tried another bottle with yeast harvested from a Westmalle Tripel, but that didn't really seem to work. Maybe it's because tripel yeast is top fermenting? So I added a bit of that bioferm killer yeast into it and now it's going. Except there's some spotty cloudy stuff in the bottle, I don't quite trust, but then, not much to do but wait and see.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 10, 2011, 11:57:48 AM
my shit's still bubbling! it's been more than 2.5 months now, what the fuck

FUCKING YEAST SHOULD GET ON WITH IT

but at least the temps outside are now cold enough that I can "crash" the brew, but I really was intending to just let it ferment out completely, cause I read somewhere that after it's completely done, a lot of yeast sort of cleans up after itself and starts breaking down some unwanted by products? know anything about that?

also I tried another bottle with yeast harvested from a Westmalle Tripel, but that didn't really seem to work. Maybe it's because tripel yeast is top fermenting? So I added a bit of that bioferm killer yeast into it and now it's going. Except there's some spotty cloudy stuff in the bottle, I don't quite trust, but then, not much to do but wait and see.

yeast will clean up after itself, especcially lager yeast which really has to do that.  A long slow ferment is going to give you a cleaner tasting drink at the end, so that 2 and a half months might be worth it if you like drinking something really smooth.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Sir Squid Diddimus

By letting it settle, it may take a lot of the yeasty flavor out.
That spotty cloudy stuff may be an infection, which is what gives sour beers and geuzes their tart funk.

Luna

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Triple Zero

That's about the exact same colour as my usual applemead concoctions :)

Speaking of, since I'm still at my parents' with my knee in a cast (fixing their computers etc :) ) my wine/mead brewings are still fermenting back at home, since I can't really rack em like this anyway.

I do hope it won't get too cold that it just stops fermenting though, since I've turned the central heating off to save energy/gas while I'm not there, last week it was about 14C (57F) in the living room, and I fear the back room where the brewings are sitting might even get a littlebit colder ...

[It won't get colder than 6C (43F), that's when the heating kicks in again to keep my plumbings from freezing, but I don't see that happening very quickly, it's 5C outside now here, in the city it's even warmer, and I got neighbours up/down/left/right that probably do use their heating]

I know it's nothing bad, the yeast just goes to sleep, but it would be nice if I could use these weeks that I have to wait anyway, so my patience is rewarded instead of the process just going "on hold" :) On the other hand, I'm planning to return back home this Thursday already.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Luna

It looks like the mead is about done.  Went quick... but the bubbling has all but stopped, and there's like an inch of crap on the bottom.

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Luna

Quote from: Suu on December 11, 2011, 04:20:10 PM
Wow, really? That's only 2 weeks.

I know...  I'll check it again tonight, if it's determined to be done, I'll rack it tonight.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Luna on December 11, 2011, 04:32:32 PM
Quote from: Suu on December 11, 2011, 04:20:10 PM
Wow, really? That's only 2 weeks.

I know...  I'll check it again tonight, if it's determined to be done, I'll rack it tonight.

Hm, it can get done this quickly, but unless your fermentation was really really wild and you used very awesome yeast ...

How much honey did you use? And the rest is cinnamon+water?

I usually use 1250g honey plus 3L apple juice + 1L water. That's 2.76lb on 1.06gal. That recipe is a bit on the sweet+strong side, though. [based on the idea that 1.25kg honey equivs 1kg sugar]

But on the other hand without apple juice it's even less sugar.

I wonder what it'll taste like, if it's too dry I'd suggest add moar honeys!

Suu

I mades a mead.

Here's my must, 2 ozs of dried rosehips and 15 bags of peppermint tea.

Thar she goes...we'll see how we do for the next 2 months or so before I secondary. I want this one to get nice and clear and sparkly.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Luna

New projects:  Elderberry mead:

And ginger/nutmeg mead:

The elderberry has already decided to announce that being stopped up in the carboy is for the birds, and attempt an escape all over my bedroom.  Oops.

Richter

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat