News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

Global Recession

Started by Dysfunctional Cunt, August 19, 2011, 06:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Quote from: Nigel on August 19, 2011, 08:39:56 PM
I've been thinking of ways I can hide my son once they reinstate the draft.

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 19, 2011, 09:09:13 PM
Quote from: Khara on August 19, 2011, 09:08:34 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 19, 2011, 08:29:11 PM
Quote from: Khara on August 19, 2011, 08:24:54 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 19, 2011, 07:35:19 PM
Quote from: Khara on August 19, 2011, 07:16:28 PM
So, we're still basically fucked and I should continue to prepare for the zombie appocalypse? :D

More like a great big fucking war, coming soon.

Damn, do you really think it is going to come to that? 

That always happens when recessions/depressions go global.  Sooner or later, world leaders are looking for ways to distract their people.

Mine wants to join up....

Mine ships out in 17 days.

Mine is four feet tall, delicate, pretty, and enjoys griefing Minecraft. This boy is not a soldier, he's a fucking POET. He's the spitting image of my little brother, who was a soldier in Desert Storm, and later put a bullet in his brain. Half my family is military, and he's not suited for it. I can tell.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Nigel on August 19, 2011, 09:25:04 PM
So, we're still basically fucked and I should continue to prepare for the zombie appocalypse? :D

That always happens when recessions/depressions go global.  Sooner or later, world leaders are looking for ways to distract their people.

Mine is four feet tall, delicate, pretty, and enjoys griefing Minecraft. This boy is not a soldier, he's a fucking POET. He's the spitting image of my little brother, who was a soldier in Desert Storm, and later put a bullet in his brain. Half my family is military, and he's not suited for it. I can tell.

If When it looks like it's actually going to come to that, I'd suggest the Coast Guard.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cain

Unless you go to war with the Swarm, in which case the coastguard are fucked.

Also, I don't forsee any major power conflicts arising because of this.

What I do see as being more likely is first order powers (America, the EU, China and to an extent Russia and India) deciding to go to war with a second order power (in the case of China, with Vietnam, in the case of America, Iran...Europe decided to get in there early with Libya) in hope that a dash of good old military Keynesianism will perk things up.

It probably wont.

Fortunately, ties between the three major powers are significantly stronger than ties with any second world powers (America is not going to stick its neck out for Vietnam, and China will not for Iran) and the norms against global conflict significantly strengthened.  Plus we all own each others debts, and would like to get paid.  So the worst that will happen is humiliating military defeats and the major world powers going back to another decade of embarassing minor conflicts, like after Vietnam.

And the economy still being fucked.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 19, 2011, 09:12:14 PM
Quote from: Khara on August 19, 2011, 09:11:08 PM

Can we hope that by joining now, when the shit does hit the fan they may have moved up enough in rank to avoid the front lines?

That doesn't work for enlisted men.  In addition, the rear ain't exactly safe, anymore.  You're actually better off in an infantry outfit, where at least you get decent training.

So, I should push to be an Armor or Infantry officer when it comes down to branch selection time?

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Every time shit about war and recession comes up, I have the overwhelming urge to hoard nails and tarps and I have no idea where this comes from. My best guess is my grandpa's garage/basement. He hoarded everything that might possibly ever be useful to anyone ever again. There was a fucking maze of tools and games and machine parts and clothes and books and canned goods and and and . . . but I'm not sure why nails, specifically.

Anyway, I concur with the popular assessment of 'we're fucked'. Only I think it's going to be such a gradual slide off the precipice that no one notices until we're free falling and three seconds from splattering on the jagged stones below and/or China literally owns us.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: COL Coyote on August 20, 2011, 12:27:27 AM

Can we hope that by joining now, when the shit does hit the fan they may have moved up enough in rank to avoid the front lines?

That doesn't work for enlisted men.  In addition, the rear ain't exactly safe, anymore.  You're actually better off in an infantry outfit, where at least you get decent training.

So, I should push to be an Armor or Infantry officer when it comes down to branch selection time?

Not armor.

As an officer, I'd say infantry, engineers, or (ho ho!) logistics.
Molon Lube

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 20, 2011, 05:29:15 AM

Not armor.

As an officer, I'd say infantry, engineers, or (ho ho!) logistics.

WE DO NOT MENTION LOGISTICS!!!!! :argh!: :argh!: :argh!: :argh!:

The new company XO, ordnance officer, which is a branch of logistics, managed to get me to defend quartermasters yesterday. :argh!: :argh!:

More seriously, why not armor?

Freeky

Woah.  If you scroll up and down this page fast (if you have a smooth scroll function), it's like a hypnotic effect thing going on.

Quote to continue weird effect. 

End thread jack.

PopeTom

I'd be more concerned about a Good Ol' Boy apocalypse rather than one of the zombie kind.
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

PopeTom

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on August 20, 2011, 05:16:58 AM
Every time shit about war and recession comes up, I have the overwhelming urge to hoard nails and tarps and I have no idea where this comes from. My best guess is my grandpa's garage/basement. He hoarded everything that might possibly ever be useful to anyone ever again. There was a fucking maze of tools and games and machine parts and clothes and books and canned goods and and and . . . but I'm not sure why nails, specifically.

Anyway, I concur with the popular assessment of 'we're fucked'. Only I think it's going to be such a gradual slide off the precipice that no one notices until we're free falling and three seconds from splattering on the jagged stones below and/or China literally owns us.

You hoard nails so that once civilization collapses and you become lord of your own fiefdom you can crucify those who fuck with you as a warning to others. 
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

Reginald Ret

I've not only already adapted my future plans to the recession but had them smashed to pieces too!

I planned to collect some money, get a hunting license (and more importantly, here you require training to get  said license meaning i get training in finding/preparing food!) and then spend the rest of the time untill shit really explodes having fun/living life and saving some money(here freshly killed wild animals sell for a premium if tested by an approved meat-expert. guess what is also part of the hunting license and training :P).
After the collapse of at least greece i would've gone there, hunt the harbors for an abandoned sailing yacht and spend the rest of my life traveling between the islands surviving by hunting, fishing, trading, raiding, raping. pillaging and playing ferryman.

As i said my plans have been thwarted.
Several European countries have made a deal with Greece that in exchange for lending them money they get one of the greece islands as collateral. As long as those islands are economically protected by other countries my plan is bust.
I guess i'll have to use plan B: Same as plan A but with more piracy.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Freeky