News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "In other words, Discordianism, like postmodernism, means never having to say your sorry."

Main Menu

Serious science

Started by MMIX, May 06, 2015, 11:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMIX

I just love this item

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-32598767

QuoteAfter 17 years of fruitlessly searching the galaxy, Australian scientists have discovered the source of mysterious radio signals hitting a telescope.
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Reginald Ret

Cool, that should cut down on the false alarms then.

Also, maybe someone should look into the effects of opening the microwave while it is working?
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

MMIX

Quote from: Reginald Ret on May 06, 2015, 01:22:03 PM

Also, maybe someone should look into the effects of opening the microwave while it is working?

Do you think intelligence might be negatively/positively correlated with the tendency for risky behaviours? 17 years is a long time to not know what is causing an effect . . .
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Reginald Ret on May 06, 2015, 01:22:03 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave_burn#Adults_and_microwave_ovens
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

MMIX

People can be just downright weird. I mean, would you put your hand in a pan of just boiled water because it was not on the gas/electric?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Putting your hand in a microwave that failed to properly shut off in 1977 because you don't understand microwaves seems like a sad accident, more than human stupidity.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

MMIX

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 06, 2015, 05:04:16 PM
Putting your hand in a microwave that failed to properly shut off in 1977 because you don't understand microwaves seems like a sad accident, more than human stupidity.

Absolutely. My mum was a radiographer back in the 40's and she worked with pioneers in the field who had lost fingers to the sharp learning curve of working with radiation. But after 17 years you'd think somebody might have made the connection between the use of the microwave and the mysterious "perytons" and also that the procedure of premature evacuation of the microwave was potentially hazardous.