News:

PD.com: can increase your susceptibility to cancer, dementia, heart disease, diabetes, influenza, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus - even the common cold.

Main Menu

Notes on Being the Villain, part I

Started by Doktor Howl, April 04, 2012, 05:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

I have found that there are basically 5 different reactions to me, and to people like me.  There are exceptions, of course, as there are exceptions to all human behavior.  Note that this isn't butthurt being manifested; I have entirely too many pills in me to work up a good head of hate right now, so this is the perfect time to write this sort of thing.  The larger implications are at the bottom.

1.  Many people hate me outright.  I am okay with this, as most of them are the kind of people that, if they LIKED me, I'd have to reevaluate the way I live my life.  The common thread between them is that they have some sort of belief or "ism" that they follow, and I offend them by making fun of their "ism", or by treating it as irrelevant. 

2.  People who feel that I am the default bad guy in any altercation.  Hilariously, some of the altercations that I am given the blame for are conversations in which I played no part at all, or merely posted in the same thread.  This has always puzzled me, but I don't worry about it too much...After all, if I'm BAD and WRONG all the time, no matter what or even if I was not involved in the first place, then there's no sense whatsoever in trying to please this sort of person.  Most of the time, this type of person behaves towards me as if I wasn't even a person myself.

3.  People who feel that I am some sort of fucking guru.  These people normally get up my ass more than the people who hate me.  I am not some kind of fucking messiah (they're found in Southampton), just as I am not - I know this is a shock - responsible for All Bad Things.  Typically, this sort of person eventually winds up swearing undying vengeance against me when I don't live up to their bizarre expectations.

4.  People who need to prove the size of their e-penis by "taking me down".  Tiresome.  So tiresome, in fact, that there's nothing more to say than the fact that I laugh at this sort of tard.

5.  Friends.  I have a few of these, believe it or not.  Interesting thing is, even my friends can or will only tolerate me in measured doses.

The larger picture here is that while this sort of shit may be a reflection on me, it is also a reflection on the people I'm talking about.  In the first four cases, the people involved are using me as a drug.  I am here to get them high, to entertain their minds for a while, so they can be spared the trouble of thinking...Much as Limbaugh fans HATE TEH LIBERALS, because it's easier than contemplating the massive complexities of modern society.

Do YOU have a drug?  Is there some person or thing in your life that you project all your problems onto, to avoid the drudgery of actually trying to figure out what's going on?  Can you admit - to yourself - that you have this sort of addiction?  And if so, can you bring yourself to walk away from it, or are you merely going to spend the rest of your life in the monkeyhouse?

Okay for now,
Dok
Molon Lube

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 04, 2012, 05:38:11 PM
2.  People who feel that I am the default bad guy in any altercation.  Hilariously, some of the altercations that I am given the blame for are conversations in which I played no part at all, or merely posted in the same thread.  This has always puzzled me, but I don't worry about it too much...After all, if I'm BAD and WRONG all the time, no matter what or even if I was not involved in the first place, then there's no sense whatsoever in trying to please this sort of person.  Most of the time, this type of person behaves towards me as if I wasn't even a person myself.

I'm still trying to figure this one out. It's like that Bruce Lee "I fight without fighting" scene, except you don't even tell them to meet you on the lifeboat.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on April 04, 2012, 05:55:36 PM

I'm still trying to figure this one out. It's like that Bruce Lee "I fight without fighting" scene, except you don't even tell them to meet you on the lifeboat.

Naw.  Mostly, it's people who are friends.  The kind of friend that waits til you're in some sort of trouble, or some altercation, or upset about something...And then explains that it's all your fault, or asks you why you're "picking on" the poor little darlings who are trying to latch their teeth into your arse.

Molon Lube

Anna Mae Bollocks

True.

They remind me of those moms who, when you see your kid's missing bike in their yard, run out and start screaming "MY KIDS DON'T STEAL!!!!!" until the cops show up.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

It is puzzling in its lack of diversity. That's what makes me boggle. For all the many, many people in the world; it is so easy to filter them into categories based on one or two things. Despite all the possible reactions and interactions out there, people are herd animals and respond as the herd responds. It's sorta depressing.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on April 04, 2012, 07:20:50 PM
It is puzzling in its lack of diversity. That's what makes me boggle. For all the many, many people in the world; it is so easy to filter them into categories based on one or two things. Despite all the possible reactions and interactions out there, people are herd animals and respond as the herd responds. It's sorta depressing.

I'd say more of a pack mentality, and they're acting on primate programming, as we all do from time to time.

Give a monkey the choice between cocaine and food, he'll take cocaine every time.

Give a monkey the choice between thinking and running on autopilot, he'll take autopilot every time.
Molon Lube

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

LMNO

Do YOU have a drug?  Is there some person or thing in your life that you project all your problems onto, to avoid the drudgery of actually trying to figure out what's going on?  Can you admit - to yourself - that you have this sort of addiction?  And if so, can you bring yourself to walk away from it, or are you merely going to spend the rest of your life in the monkeyhouse?

This one stopped me short.  I don't know the answer, which means I'm not admitting something to myself.  I'm going to have to take some time and think about this.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 04, 2012, 07:38:50 PM

This one stopped me short.  I don't know the answer, which means I'm not admitting something to myself.  I'm going to have to take some time and think about this.

Well, that paragraph was the entire point of the piece.  And unlike AA, I don't maintain that everyone has this sort of addiction.  You don't see one in yourself, and that may be because you're fooling yourself, or it may be that you simply don't have one.
Molon Lube

LMNO

I'm sure I blame my problems on someone/thing...  Does "myself" count?  My biggest fuckups usually come from odd bursts of completely irrational behavior.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 04, 2012, 07:50:18 PM
I'm sure I blame my problems on someone/thing...  Does "myself" count?  My biggest fuckups usually come from odd bursts of completely irrational behavior.

It depends.  If it's your fault, you should blame yourself.

If it's not your fault, then blame whomever is at fault, including God.

If you don't believe in God, blame the impersonal void, which takes particular pleasure in fucking with allegedly intelligent life.
Molon Lube

Anna Mae Bollocks

If I don't want to deal with a problem, I tend to distract myself with people or things I actually LIKE, which might be another side of the same coin. Or not, since most of the shit I worry about is pretty unfixable and I really don't care to run my blood pressure up.

LMNO

I always get a kick out of your Malevolent God theory.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 04, 2012, 08:02:04 PM

All the contradictions and impossibilities just vanish.
Molon Lube

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 04, 2012, 08:02:04 PM

If it's not that, it might be like that story about Yahveh and Satan making bets about how much shit Job could take.