News:

If it quacks like a sociopath, but also ponders its own sociopathy, it's probably just an asshole.

Main Menu

One Sentence Rants

Started by Cramulus, December 17, 2008, 08:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minuspace

Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 25, 2014, 06:15:27 PM
Quote from: LuciferX on May 25, 2014, 02:08:37 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 23, 2014, 03:41:10 PM
Quote from: LuciferX on May 23, 2014, 08:07:08 AM
Listen you wanna-be hippie punks...

wat

Had to miss some festivities because dog ICU - herniated diaphragm - all better now: shit's all in place, still, hope it mends well.

Shit, hope your dog's OK!

Is good now, was a little worried for a second.  Given the surgery and all the Meds, he actually doing real good :)

Cramulus

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

minuspace

Quote from: Cramulus on May 28, 2014, 05:23:42 PM
COSMIC TRIGGER WARNING
I'm reporting your icon to central committee, meanwhile, is that Cosmic Trigger thing suggested reading? (I was raised by vulgate wolves that disapproved of the written word)  :aww:

minuspace

Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 23, 2014, 07:30:55 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on May 23, 2014, 07:11:41 PM
Reminds me of this:

It's just that it's an entirely inappropriate metaphor. Exciting, but completely and utterly wrong and the absolute most backwards way of looking at it. The way evolution is usually talked about is along the lines of "they developed these adaptations, so they survived", but the correct way of viewing it is "the survivors all had these mutations, and that's how they adapted". This might sound really nitpicky, but the backward view really screws things up when you start talking about sexual reproduction and the adaptations that optimize fetal development in humans. They are written about as if there's an "arms race" (this exact term has been used over and over again) between male and female to maximize their own interests. This is not only not true, but it literally CANNOT BE TRUE unless we scrap everything we know about evolution and start from scratch with a completely different set of assumptions about what drives it. The "Arms race" perspective necessitates the assumption of intelligent design. The reality of fetal development is that the fetus which has the best checks and balances system is the one which is most likely to survive; it's not an arms race, but a finely-honed cooperative balance in which the system which produces a placenta that is maximized to absorb nutrients from the mother while restrained from taking too many nutrients is the system that will produce the most surviving offspring. Since "too much" varies from woman to woman, the optimal system is one in which the placenta grows as much as it can until the woman's body tells it to stop.

But that's not as exciting as depicting it as a DNA-level war of the sexes, and this is pervasive throughout the scientific literature.
No, we already had this conversation.  The illustration of how gravity curves space-time, using the effect of gravity on a ball rolling into an invaginated plane, simply, will not do the trick.  It's like a circular argument that presupposes it's conclusion.  Teachers of physics, beware. :lulz:

minuspace

Re:CT.
"Serendipitously" found that (tyvm).  Just a skim and already found me my new favorite Sufi quote!

Cramulus

Quote from: LuciferX on May 31, 2014, 08:02:06 AM
COSMIC TRIGGER WARNING
I'm reporting your icon to central committee, meanwhile, is that Cosmic Trigger thing suggested reading? (I was raised by vulgate wolves that disapproved of the written word)  :aww:

It's kind of a more personal version of Prometheus Rising

if that answers your question

minuspace

Quote from: Cramulus on June 02, 2014, 02:35:17 PM
Quote from: LuciferX on May 31, 2014, 08:02:06 AM
COSMIC TRIGGER WARNING

It's kind of a more personal version of Prometheus Rising

if that answers your question

Awesome, I enjoyed Prometheus Rising, and used to have an original paperback :)   

Thanks for the sausage links :fnord:

Faux Lix

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Faux Lix

Or the most wondrous wanderlust cat?

Don't sue me.

Pæs

Nope. Definitely an unfunny asshole.

Faux Lix

:emoticon that expresses my TRUE feelings:

minuspace

Ei, look, we got a comedian here.  Rare form, really.