News:

To the "allies," if you aren't complicit in my crimes then you are complicit in theirs.

Main Menu

Cooking the Badges way: Just Fucking Wing It

Started by BADGE OF HONOR, September 18, 2008, 07:04:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on March 27, 2010, 06:39:24 PM
Hm. Well usually I only use small pieces of meat that thaw in half an hour, yeah.

Also, since these bacteria are only on the surface of the meat, won't they all get killed when I sear it anyway?

And cold running water sounds like a plan, but wrapped in plastic, I assume?

Yes, wrapped in plastic, and also what Badge said about the toxins.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Yes to all of the above.  I forgot to mention the bacteria part.

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

BADGE OF HONOR

THAI BASIL CHICKEN

2 Tb oil
2-3 dried cayenne peppers, soaked*
1-2 cloves garlic, minced

10 oz chicken breast, chopped into stir-fry size
a grind of white pepper
3 serranos, quartered
2 Tb oyster sauce
pinch of sugar

1 cup thai basil
handful of bean sprouts (optional)

Get your wok, heat on high heat.  Add oil, let it heat up.  Throw in cayenne and garlic, stir-fry until the garlic is lightly browned (if your wok is at proper temperature this will take like 30 seconds or less).  Add everything else except the basil/sprouts--mise en place is extremely important for this, because by the time you've managed to glop out 2 Tb worth of oyster sauce all the stuff in the hot spot has gotten burned.  So measure out everything beforehand!  Stir like mad until the chicken is done (2-3 minutes).  Add delicate stuff, stir until it's just incorporated (10 seconds max), pull off heat and serve immediately.  Nom.  (Don't eat the dried peppers though)

*I always have a debate over whether A) soaking does anything and B) the peppers actually add any flavor.  But if I have them, why not use?  Can't hurt.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Jasper

You might have better results with fresh peppers, or better yet, habaneros.  :evil:

BADGE OF HONOR

The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Jasper

BADGE OF HONOR

So why did you suggest I use fresh hot peppers when you already knew I used fresh hot peppers?

Jasper

I'm talking about the dried reds. 

Mostly I just wanted to mention making thai food with habaneros.

BADGE OF HONOR

Habaneros in this kind of dish are really unnecessary.  Eating a quarter of a serrano with seeds still clinging to it is perfectly sinus-clearing without going overboard on the pain factor.  But hey, if you're the kind of asshole who likes to ruin food in order to make people cry, be my guest.

Jasper

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Sigmatic on May 03, 2010, 04:18:11 AM
It's more for me.  I like spicy food.

You're a terrible fucking person!

Also, you have to go to Pok Pok on Division and get something with a spicy option.

I need to calibrate your capsaicin receptor density, for science.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Jasper

Okay, sounds like fun!  What can you recommend?

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Anything on the menu! It's all uniformly good. I haven't had anything there that was mediocre.

That said, their papaya salad is spicy as hell and delicious. Also, Ike's Famous Chicken Wings (spicy of course), and I'm convinced their Pok Pok Bloody Mary has highly addictive drugs in it.

It is somewhat moderately expensive, however entirely worth it.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Jasper

Alright, I'm totally going there tomorrow.  :D

LMNO

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on May 03, 2010, 02:35:32 AM
*I always have a debate over whether A) soaking does anything and B) the peppers actually add any flavor.  But if I have them, why not use?  Can't hurt.

For the recipe you're using, the best reason I can think to soak them is that if you threw dried peppers into an extremely hot wok, they may begin to smoke, releasing the burning hot oils into the air, creating a lovely ambience of mace.