News:

Sometimes I rattle the cage and beat my head uselessly against its bars, but sometimes, I can shake one loose and use it as a dildo.

Main Menu

Norway and WWII

Started by Lenin McCarthy, November 29, 2012, 09:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lenin McCarthy

(Hopefully I'm going to work further on this, add some original thought and so on, but now: Sleep!)

When the Germans invaded Norway in April 1940, Nasjonal Samling, the Norwegian fascist party, reputedly had a few hundred members. At that point, the party was utterly incapable of governing anything. Luckily for them and their leader Vidkun Quisling, thousands of Norwegians joined NS and the membership reached a peak of somewhere around 50000 members in 1943. More importantly, somewhere between 150000 and 200000 Norwegians (out of about 1.4 million who were in work at that time) helped Nazi Germany build airports, military installations, and other infrastructure, and I believe Norwegian subcontractors of German companies are not included in that amount.

O.C. Gundersen was one of the main architects behind the Norwegian legal purge in the aftermath of World War II, in the post-war era he held various top government posts, such as Minister of Justice, ambassador to Moscow, Supreme Court Justice and more. During the invasion in 1940, while the Norwegian Army were still fighting in Northern Norway, the young aspiring Labour politician helped the Germans find thousands of workers to expand Trondheim's airports. This also happened in other parts of Norway. Oliver H. Langeland, leader of the Oslo branch of the resistance organization Milorg during the war, pointed this out in two books he released in 1948 and 1949. Many of his claims were declared null and void, his books were confiscated and he was effectively turned into a non-person. He is strangely absent in all Norwegian literature about WWII and military history older than a few years.

After the war, all members of Nasjonal Samling were collectively convicted of treason for being members of what was a legal political party at the time of the invasion (even though the Norwegian Constitution bans retroactive laws). Even inactive members were fined and labeled as traitors, and faced harassment in the media and the public. 25 NS members were executed, 22 of them with backgrounds in lower social strata, while most war profiteers came out of the war unpunished. Hundreds of Norwegian women who worked for the German Red Cross were convicted for having supported the Nazis. Thousands of so-called "German whores", young Norwegian women (most of them poor) who had sexual relations with German soldiers were interned in prison camps, allegedly to protect them from lynching and the rest of the population from STDs. The government also tried to send their offspring, so-called "German kids", to Australia (though that would probably have been better for them, because of extreme anti-German sentiment in the post-war years).

The short-lived Administration Council appointed by the Supreme Court just after the invasion ordered Norway's main navy yard, weapons and ammunitions factories to resume production, now for the benefit of Nazi Germany. None of these, mostly senior establishment politicians, were persecuted for their actions after the war. Neither were any of the members of Prime Minister Nygaardsvold's Labour government who were given warnings

When 550 Norwegian Jews were taken out of their homes and sent to Auschwitz in November 1942, it was organized by police inspector Knut Rød, who was tried and acquitted for his involvement in this because his actions "were necessary in order for him to perform the other, far, more important resistance work".
Everyone who weren't resisters from the outset of the war were guilty of treason, public figures proclaimed, while behind closed doors they fervently tried (successfully) to explain away their involvement with NS and the Germans. Many government officials stayed in their jobs during the entire war, followed orders from the occupation government, and designed the laws and provisions that got others (who also were "just following orders" and merely embodied their decisions) long jail terms.

In the polarized climate that followed, with "us" (good, decent Norwegians) pitted against "them" (the Germans and Nazi sympathizers), admitting that you're just a normal person who have made a lot of mistakes, during the war and otherwise, wasn't really feasible. You had to be a brave, patriotic Norwegian war hero like the rest of your compatriots supposedly were.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

trippinprincezz13

Nice read.

Another good example of "Well, we have to blame someone" - that being anyone can't pay their way out of past mistakes. One man' treason is another's "just doing his job"
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.