News:

Endorsement:  I am not convinced you even understand my concepts of moral relativity, so perhaps it would be best for you not to approach them.

Main Menu

Female Spider-Woman Cover: "I don't even" arguments edition

Started by The Johnny, September 15, 2014, 06:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Triggered word /b/ear on September 16, 2014, 07:05:11 PM
This is perfect example of Tumblr tards knit picking.
I also don't like the fact D/C making is making it's heroines more thick/curvy as a generic template. Something about Catwoman having giant tits/giant ass strikes me off. Since Catwoman was always portrayed as being slim/athletic so she can prowl/sneak around into vaults. I figured the slimmer she is the faster she would move/get away. But D/C panders to basement dwellers so fuck it let them fuck socks.

Marvel of the other hand is dropping down barriers introducing new characters, killing off others that aren't interesting anymore.

Yeah, well, Superman could still kick your dad's ass.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Faust

Quote from: Triggered word /b/ear on September 16, 2014, 07:05:11 PM
This is perfect example of Tumblr tards knit picking.
I also don't like the fact D/C making is making it's heroines more thick/curvy as a generic template. Something about Catwoman having giant tits/giant ass strikes me off. Since Catwoman was always portrayed as being slim/athletic so she can prowl/sneak around into vaults. I figured the slimmer she is the faster she would move/get away. But D/C panders to basement dwellers so fuck it let them fuck socks.

Marvel of the other hand is dropping down barriers introducing new characters, killing off others that aren't interesting anymore.

Exactly, now dont get me wrong they are both stirring a stagnant pot, but marvel have acknowledged they have an issue with both their portrayal of women so they have attempted to fix it:

Kelly Sue DeConnick writes a terrific Captain Marvel.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed)

Quote from: Chelagoras The Lust-Driven Dickwolf on September 15, 2014, 11:35:38 PM
i had been avoiding this story in the news, mainly because i honestly didn't see what the problem with it was. I feel like the video makes a few good points, yet towards the end the nerdrage shorts out his frontal lobe and he starts hammering his points like a caveman. Towards the end he charges right past the fact that sexualizing woman is OFTEN used to dehumanize women,

How do you tell the difference though?

And really, this hits on the big thing. The problem isnt sexualization, its the dehumanizing, the objectifying. People like to go after the former because its easy to spot and thanks to our puritan heritage lots of people have a knee-jerk discomfort with it which of course, is completely in the interest of progressiveness and freedom ect when they do it. The later is a lot harder to talk about, a lot harder to condense into 140 characters or memes, and worst of all most people just simply dont care. 

Freeky

And even worse than that, some think that seeing the dehumanizing aspects is Nazi-feminist behavior that is indecent in regular people.  Frustrating.

minuspace

Quote from: Faust on September 16, 2014, 08:40:05 AM
It was Milo Manera

His art is gorgeous, but I don't think he has ever done anything other than erotica, Looking at this and his Scarlett Witch cover, they are really good.

Yea, that stuff was great.  Actually decent syfi too.  Droona could have been my first love.

Trivial

Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Faust

Quote from: xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed) on September 16, 2014, 10:23:07 PM
Quote from: Chelagoras The Lust-Driven Dickwolf on September 15, 2014, 11:35:38 PM
i had been avoiding this story in the news, mainly because i honestly didn't see what the problem with it was. I feel like the video makes a few good points, yet towards the end the nerdrage shorts out his frontal lobe and he starts hammering his points like a caveman. Towards the end he charges right past the fact that sexualizing woman is OFTEN used to dehumanize women,

How do you tell the difference though?

And really, this hits on the big thing. The problem isnt sexualization, its the dehumanizing, the objectifying. People like to go after the former because its easy to spot and thanks to our puritan heritage lots of people have a knee-jerk discomfort with it which of course, is completely in the interest of progressiveness and freedom ect when they do it. The later is a lot harder to talk about, a lot harder to condense into 140 characters or memes, and worst of all most people just simply dont care.

You're right, it is the objectification and not the sexualisation that is the issue.

For instance if Milo had written the book as well she would probably fuck her way across new york and no one would bat an eyelid.

But using his cover for what is otherwise supposed to be a superhero comic is using that sexual imagery to sell the story which is unfair to the character.

There is always the argument that marvel never considered it, Milo is a brilliant artist and comic companies often celebrate the work of famous artists these variant covers and that's all it was. However even if this is the case they probably shouldn't be so negligent when they are very much in the spotlight for their lack of female creators, (they have one or two, which is better than none so things are improving).

If they wanted to do this they should balance it by having someone like Kevin Wada do the male issues.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

hooplala

This is the most people have talked about Spider Woman in decades. 
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: Hoopla on September 17, 2014, 01:09:31 PM
This is the most people have talked about Spider Woman in decades. 
yknow, if the comic industry were better at PR than it is, i'd suspect that might've been the plan all along
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

hooplala

You'd never see She-Hulk in that position. Just saying.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Chelagoras The Boulder

well yea, but she-Hulks thing isn't crawling up buildings in a spider-like manner. One of her things however, was jump roping naked for an entire issue once.

"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

LMNO

Quote from: Chelagoras The Lust-Driven Dickwolf on September 19, 2014, 06:22:55 PM
well yea, but she-Hulks thing isn't crawling up buildings in a spider-like manner. One of her things however, was jump roping naked for an entire issue once.

Pop quiz, hotshot: Is this sexualizing or objectifying?

hooplala

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman