News:

Your political affiliations, your brand loyalties, and your opinions are all quicker, easier, and contain no user-serviceable parts.

Main Menu

Facebook conducting SECRET EXPERIMENTS on users.

Started by Pæs, June 28, 2014, 09:01:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reginald Ret

XKCD has quite a good response to this:

This shit is no different from how they used to treat their cattle users.

I'm going to boycot FB as soon as i can bring myself to go back on it and unruffle the feathers i ruffled the last time i was there.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Regret on July 05, 2014, 11:58:42 PM

I'm going to boycot FB as soon as i can bring myself to go back on it and unruffle the feathers i ruffled the last time i was there.

It's a response that pretty much completely fails to take into consideration the history of unethical science experiments and the reasons most serious researchers, and the agencies that fund them, are so paranoid about even the appearance of unethical research now. It's well-understood that corporations engage in all kinds of unethical behavior in the name of profits, and America is mostly OK with that because CAPITALISM; it's also well-understood that because academic researchers crossed all kinds of lines and perpetrated some really unspeakable, unbelievable horrors on an unsuspecting public in the past, it is critical that we try to distance ourselves from that now and maintain an unimpeachable standard with research subjects.

The merger of CAPITALISM and research is really, really ugly and scary. Look up what pharmaceutical companies do in impoverished countries because it would be illegal for them to do it here, for shits and giggles.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Johnny

In university, there were collegues that subjected themselves to pharma experiments for 90 dollars a month... im not sure thats legal in the USA.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Johnny on July 06, 2014, 03:29:44 AM

In university, there were collegues that subjected themselves to pharma experiments for 90 dollars a month... im not sure thats legal in the USA.

I have known people who farmed themselves out as experimental research test subjects in the US, but I know the laws vary considerably from country to country, and that there are many countries that have very lax standards compared to the US, which may not be too different from Mexico because I know Mexico is not one of the most popular countries for outsourcing experiments to.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Reginald Ret

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on July 06, 2014, 01:27:14 AM

It's a response that pretty much completely fails to take into consideration the history of unethical science experiments and the reasons most serious researchers, and the agencies that fund them, are so paranoid about even the appearance of unethical research now. It's well-understood that corporations engage in all kinds of unethical behavior in the name of profits, and America is mostly OK with that because CAPITALISM; it's also well-understood that because academic researchers crossed all kinds of lines and perpetrated some really unspeakable, unbelievable horrors on an unsuspecting public in the past, it is critical that we try to distance ourselves from that now and maintain an unimpeachable standard with research subjects.

The merger of CAPITALISM and research is really, really ugly and scary. Look up what pharmaceutical companies do in impoverished countries because it would be illegal for them to do it here, for shits and giggles.
Agreed, I posted this pic because I have the impression that people are forgetting that Facebook was evil before this.

Also, leave it to facebook to do MAD science wrong.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Regret on July 06, 2014, 01:51:44 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on July 06, 2014, 01:27:14 AM

Agreed, I posted this pic because I have the impression that people are forgetting that Facebook was evil before this.

Also, leave it to facebook to do MAD science wrong.

I didn't read that comic as dismissing the issue but addressing the fact that it was previously taken for granted. I think Nigel's reply, however, needs to be thrown on a giant billboard on the moon.  Course, then they'd probably launch a nuke at it...oh, lol, that would never happen.  America would never launch a nuke at the moon...