News:

PD may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.  If PD splits open, do not look directly at resulting goo.  PD is still legal in 14 states.

Main Menu

THE SECRET TO GETTING FINANCIAL AID FOR SCHOOL - by Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu.

Started by Suu, April 04, 2011, 04:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

Quote from: Nigel on April 06, 2011, 10:01:45 PM
Quote from: The Fred ⊂(◉‿◉)つ on April 04, 2011, 09:49:37 PM
Quote from: Suu the Infallible on April 04, 2011, 04:14:51 PM

8: DON'T BUY A CAR OR OTHER OPTIONAL INCIDENTAL WITH YOUR REFUND. I hate you people Live on campus, it's cheaper in the long run.

Um I'm going to argue that this one depends on where your school is located. If you live in a big expensive city this is probably true, but i know that here i would save around $2000 each semester if i just moved to the apartments right next to campus.

Also it depends on whether you are 40 years old with three children. I don't think PSU even has housing for that.

URI has apartments for grad students and non-traditional students with families that are right across the street from the main campus. You have to be over 25. I'm actually looking into them, but my situation is different than yours as I have no kids, and I don't own my home either. But, if you are looking for something, it may not hurt to ask housing what they recommend. I know there ARE programs, but I can't really tell you much about them because it's not my area. That and every school is different.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'll be at PCC for a couple of years, but I would totally consider renting out my house (Oh my god, I'd have to get rid of so much crap though!) if I could get a decent cheap student housing situation. Only drawback is giving up my studio.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Even though I have a one bedroom now, I feel like I don't have enough room for my crap. One day, I will afford a place where I can have a separate studio that doesn't overflow onto my living space.

Speaking of which, Herb and I get to roll my drafting table down the street in a bit. This should be hilarious.

Freeky

And it wouldn't be feasible with community colleges.  I'm pretty sure PCC doesn't HAVE campus housing.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Jenkem and Bubble Baths on April 07, 2011, 12:00:50 AM
And it wouldn't be feasible with community colleges.  I'm pretty sure PCC doesn't HAVE campus housing.

Correct. :)

But if I can make it through two years there and then transfer to PSU, rent out my house for enough to cover the mortgage (doubtful... the place needs work) then I'd consider student housing, if it was cheaper.

Freeky

Quote from: Nigel on April 07, 2011, 12:03:59 AM

But if I can make it through two years there and then transfer to PSU, rent out my house for enough to cover the mortgage (doubtful... the place needs work) then I'd consider student housing, if it was cheaper.

I wouldn't do that. I COULDN'T, even if I had the means.  I need people around me, particularly on the weeks that I have monkey.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Jenkem and Bubble Baths on April 07, 2011, 12:06:26 AM

I wouldn't do that. I COULDN'T, even if I had the means.  I need people around me, particularly on the weeks that I have monkey.

:? Would there be MORE people around you in student housing?

Da6s

Ok, tough question. If I wanted to try and negotiate a small business employer into reimbursing education costs of a certain amount, what tax incentive/motivation/help/whatever could I suggest to him from both state and federal, respectively? Is there anything, or am I just going to have to sell my soul to corporate after I leave here to get it paid for?
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Freeky

Quote from: Nigel on April 07, 2011, 12:10:54 AM

I dunno.  Maybe.  But not strangers, and the bi weekly monkey having is a bbit tough to do now anyway.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Jenkem and Bubble Baths on April 07, 2011, 03:06:10 AM
And it wouldn't be feasible with community colleges.  I'm pretty sure PCC doesn't HAVE campus housing.

I wouldn't do that. I COULDN'T, even if I had the means.  I need people around me, particularly on the weeks that I have monkey.

I dunno.  Maybe.  But not strangers, and the bi weekly monkey having is a bbit tough to do now anyway.

I know what you mean. It does get a FUCKTON easier when they get older though. I was doing the single mom thing when my oldest two were six months and two years old, and frankly... I don't remember that much of it. I wasn't getting any sleep and I didn't have time or money to eat. I would cook for the kids, feed them, get them into bed, and then drink a beer and fall asleep on the couch without eating anything, until the Boy One's colic woke me up 45 minutes later. Most likely, it was the beer that kept me alive... after a while, I started going for stouts, because they're high in nutrients and low in alcohol.

I only weighed about 35 pounds, too... stress and heartbreak have always been excellent for my waistline.  :lulz:

Vaud

"Gee. He was just here a minute ago." -GC

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Freeky

Quote from: Nigel on April 07, 2011, 05:20:27 AM
Quote from: Jenkem and Bubble Baths on April 07, 2011, 03:06:10 AM
And it wouldn't be feasible with community colleges.  I'm pretty sure PCC doesn't HAVE campus housing.

I wouldn't do that. I COULDN'T, even if I had the means.  I need people around me, particularly on the weeks that I have monkey.

I dunno.  Maybe.  But not strangers, and the bi weekly monkey having is a bbit tough to do now anyway.

I know what you mean. It does get a FUCKTON easier when they get older though. I was doing the single mom thing when my oldest two were six months and two years old, and frankly... I don't remember that much of it. I wasn't getting any sleep and I didn't have time or money to eat. I would cook for the kids, feed them, get them into bed, and then drink a beer and fall asleep on the couch without eating anything, until the Boy One's colic woke me up 45 minutes later. Most likely, it was the beer that kept me alive... after a while, I started going for stouts, because they're high in nutrients and low in alcohol.

I only weighed about 35 pounds, too... stress and heartbreak have always been excellent for my waistline.  :lulz:

As I am now, I could not have done that.  I'm trying to get back on my feet, but living in my own place, with a Terrible Twos and no work experience or special training, is flat out impossible.  Not to mention the fact that I'm not ready up here *taps head* for that kind of thing.  I bet it does get easier when their older particularly once they get to school and are old enough to be latchkey kids, but damn that'd still be rough.